Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler  (Read 19639 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Chapter Break Filler
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2020, 04:16:09 AM »
Oh no, both Scottish and Grade E cat, you appear to be onion farmers as I certainly got something in my eye.

Scottish, it was wonderful to read prose from you! I especially liked the way you described Sigrun's party through Lalli's observation (which this time probably was more accurate than his earlier "you are an orphan" :) ). All in all Lalli's musings on the subject were well-constructed and very him. My first thought was also to have Sigrun describe one of her naturally completely unforgettable parties, but then I wanted to stay in Finland. Good that you did! Thank you!

Grade E cat, oh no poor Onni. If only he didn't have to grow up so fast after all. I can't comment any more on this as now I'm completely crying. Thank you so so much.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:18:21 AM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2020, 06:00:40 AM »
I'd also be interested if anyone knows a good gross-out Danish food Mikkel might suggest to get a reaction out of the others.
Whatever the Danish cuisine has to offer in that category, I have a hunch that Mikkel would have add(-lib)ed hearts of palm to it. And maybe electric lights, so much more advanced than candles.

(Having that said, in spite of even domestic criticism, I don't see anything genuinely disturbing listed by Wikipedia.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mariiii

« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2020, 07:05:33 AM »
About yesterday prompt, Róisín this is a beautiful story ! I hope the end of the second adventure will be as nice as this one !
The other contributions were amazing too !

Grade E cat your story brought tears to my eyes, I love it !
Native :france:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :japan:
Understand :spain:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2020, 07:43:34 AM »
Scottish, that's a fantastic story! You managed to make your prose as good as your poetry, and that's a lot to say!

Grade E Cat
, I love this piece. That also entered to my headcanon! :)

This way we will one day, not very far away, have the entire history of the Hotakainens since the Prologue (and far in the Future).
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2020, 08:24:13 AM »
Do you know what is a reynir in Icelandic?

Harvest

“Now we surely are done for!” Arni is desperate. “All the currants are gone. It must be the birds!”
“We will manage, don’t despair, love. Freya will provide!”
“You keep saying that but when will she? Two ewes lost, maggots in carrots and now this! We can’t survive the winter on potatoes alone. I think we have to sell another ewe to buy fruits.”
“We can’t! We’ll be three in the spring. We need to grow the flock!”
“We won’t be three in the spring, if you get scurvy during the winter. It used to be a horrible scourge for our ancestors!”
“Remain calm, love! Freya will provide, I know it.”

Following morning Guðrún tells Arni of her dream. “I was riding the golden mare I often see in my dreams lately. Suddenly she spoke to me.”
“Who did?”
“She, the mare! She said “Reynir wants to help” So, I looked around, and I saw a young redheaded man waving. He looked kind of like your dad, but young. I waved back to him, and he pointed towards a gully I haven’t really noticed before. Then he vanished! It was very vivid, much more lifelike than any normal dream.”
“Honey, I believe you that the dream felt powerful for you. Still, it was just a dream.”
“I think it’s worth checking nevertheless.”

Arni decided to come too, mostly to humor his pregnant wife and also to keep her safe. He didn’t think they would find anything, but to his surprise Guðrún walked as if on a very well-known path directly into a gully. Inside they saw a copse of rowan trees, all bearing loads of red berries.
“See! I told you! Rowanberries are tangy, but rich in vitamins. We’ll just need some sugar for jam! It’s good we brought baskets!”

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:31:51 PM by Jitter »

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2020, 08:36:01 AM »
Whatever the Danish cuisine has to offer in that category, I have a hunch that Mikkel would have add(-lib)ed hearts of palm to it. And maybe electric lights, so much more advanced than candles.

(Having that said, in spite of even domestic criticism, I don't see anything genuinely disturbing listed by Wikipedia.)

Maybe he's taking something from the Faroese kitchen? An example here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garnat%C3%A1lg

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2020, 08:52:57 AM »
Do you know what is a reynir in Icelandic?

I didn't. Now I know :)

That's a beautiful story, while dangerously close to those time-travel paradoxes... But we can always think that they would found that place (or other solution) later, without help, so the outcome would be the same :) I'm intrigued, however, by the golden speaking mare...

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

scottishnottish

• chaotic good mountain dwarf
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
Thank you all! And very nice story Jitter, for some reason Reynir pulling off some time-travel shenanigans feels right (if I'm interpreting that right, it seems like there are several possible explanations which makes it even more intriguing.)

Scottish, it was wonderful to read prose from you! I especially liked the way you described Sigrun's party through Lalli's observation (which this time probably was more accurate than his earlier "you are an orphan" :) ). All in all Lalli's musings on the subject were well-constructed and very him. My first thought was also to have Sigrun describe one of her naturally completely unforgettable parties, but then I wanted to stay in Finland. Good that you did! Thank you!

I admit, I probably took a little bit of liberty with how much Lalli would understand her, I doubt Sigrun is very good at charades/pantomime hah.

I imagine Christmas/fairy lights for some reason. They're quite chewy, but the trick is to slurp them up like noodles.

Maybe he's taking something from the Faroese kitchen? An example here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garnat%C3%A1lg

Reynir would be confused by this because that's not what they use sheep intestinal fat for, then go on to describe a different dish they use it for.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
Thank you all! And very nice story Jitter, for some reason Reynir pulling off some time-travel shenanigans feels right (if I'm interpreting that right, it seems like there are several possible explanations which makes it even more intriguing.)

I didn't. Now I know :)

That's a beautiful story, while dangerously close to those time-travel paradoxes... But we can always think that they would found that place (or other solution) later, without help, so the outcome would be the same :) I'm intrigued, however, by the golden speaking mare...

It wasn%u2019t him him, just a part of the vision sent by Freya to help! So no paradox. And anyways Arni%u2019sfather is also Reynir, so it could be either or a general helpful rowanberries-distributing person.

I think the the mare is self-evident!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:49:20 AM by Jitter »

steadfastjewel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they / them / theirs
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
After a day of no electricity and a day of being mostly unconscious, I return! (I'm fine)

So much wonderful writing to return to, and so much of it food-themed! The one true constant of the SSSS fandom- there will be snacks (whether squirrel-cookies, or adorably illustrated Kitty-cookies, or...)

People have already captured well much of my feelings, so I'll settle for saying well done all. The fluff, the angst, the poetry, it's marvelous. Particular compliments to scottishnottish, who appeared in the thread while I was gone and made some stellar contributions. And I like Roisin's imaginative piece as well (again, such fOoD  ;D )

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
It wasn%u2019t him him, just a part of the vision sent by Freya to help! So no paradox. And anyways Arni%u2019sfather is also Reynir, so it could be either or a general helpful rowanberries-distributing person.

I think the the mare is self-evident!

I was imagining that our Reynir found a way in the dream world that carried him to the past (he seems good at finding ways even when he doesn't know where they lead) and that he wanted, as always, to help. But it could be someone else, of course. :)

I must be distracted (I'm trying to get some work done...), but I can't see the mare self-evidence, sorry. Could you enlighten me?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2020, 11:52:37 AM »
It's Guðrún's fylgja

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2020, 12:06:26 PM »
It's Guðrún's fylgja
Ahhh! Of course! I was looking inside the story or in my (limited) knowledge of Nordic mythology (couldn't see why Loki would be in this story :D ) and never thought in the most obvious answer... Thanks!

scottishnottish

• chaotic good mountain dwarf
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2020, 02:35:25 PM »
It wasnt him him, just a part of the vision sent by Freya to help! So no paradox. And anyways Arnis father is also Reynir, so it could be either or a general helpful rowanberries-distributing person.

Ahh I see, that makes sense. I was a little slow on the uptake on that one hah.

Particular compliments to scottishnottish, who appeared in the thread while I was gone and made some stellar contributions.

Thank you!!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2020, 03:15:13 PM »
If I made people cry, my work here is done  >:D *fakest evil laugh ever*.

For anyone who can stand another gut puch, check here for the reason for which the headcanon that inspired the ending is actually a few years old (Lalli's more recent flashback only provided me a more concrete canvas to paint it on).
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.