Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler  (Read 19635 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Chapter Break Filler
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »
Scottish, it may be him him, but only as a vision. I’m all for Reynir’s shenanigans, but I don’t want to go into time travel paradoxes because that always gives me a headache!  ::)

Grey, the mageing must come from somewhere, right?

Grade E cat, ouch! That was nasty (from Rey at least)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2020, 12:17:28 AM »
Chapter Break Filler

.._.._..

Prompt 9: Garden

.._.._..

For today's prompt of Garden, Jon Steele has brought us a beautiful story of growth and recovery even when everything has changed.

Spoiler: show
It’s going to be okay.

Árni Reynisson is one of the few people left who remember the old world, despite his best efforts to forget. He remembers the panic that spread like wildfire, faster than the Rash. He remembers how people denied what was happening until they couldn't anymore. We’ll be fine, everyone had said. We’re prepared this time. This new “Rash illness” was supposed to be just another SARS or MERS-on the news for a few weeks, then gone. It was not.
Árni cannot afford to dwell on the nightmare the Rash brought, and the years of famine that followed. There is only here and now, his therapist once told him. And right now, he is harvesting mandarins. The trees are all huddled against the southern wall of the greenhouse he’s in. He carefully pulls the ripe fruits from the branches and drops them in his basket.

We’ll have food this winter, probably.

Árni finds caring for the plants incredibly relaxing, something he probably would have hated when he was younger but he’s changed. Iceland had changed too. The windows of the greenhouse have complex runes and patterns carved into them, and those same runes have been painted anywhere the “mages” see fit. They’re supposed to help the plants grow faster and stronger. To Árni, this seems like nonsense. His old god did nothing as the old world burned, and he doesn't think the Norse gods will help either, even if they exist. According to Reykjavik, however, the Norse gods saved Iceland from the Rash. Reykjavik is in the process of rewriting history to suit that narrative.
For now, though, he doesn't need to worry about that. The new faith is bringing shattered communities back together, and the harvests have been getting better every year, and for the first time since the old world fell, Árni feels safe and content.

It’s going to be okay.

Thanks very much to Jon Steele for today's contribution, and if any of you are inspired by this prompt, feel free to share with us what you've made!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2020, 03:56:54 AM »
Thank you Jon! Well written musings!

I present mine in a highly similar vein, perhaps set a few years earlier than Jon's

Garden
“I miss things. Apples, for example. Don’t get me wrong, my heart, I think we have built a good life here! Actually, many of the things that seemed so important at the time now feel meaningless. Many more things than I thought I could so easily do without, even forget. But apples were nice. And ice cream. Rock concerts. Travelling to the Mediterranean…”
“Love, you are getting carried away. We agreed it’s best not to think about it. It’s clear by now that it’s going to be long before things are back to the way they were.”
“To be honest, I don’t think it will be. Not in our time. Maybe not even in Ragnar’s. You weren’t there, at the sea. It’s… it’s worse than you think.”
“Shh, shush now. It’s in the past. Let it stay there. Freya will look after us now.”
“You are right. I’m sorry. I won’t speak of it again”

But later, every time Arni walked among Guðrún’s apple bushes or bit into the sweet fruits, he remembered. So many lost things. So many lost lives. Ragnar will never need to know what it was like. I’ll make sure he’ll grow up knowing this garden is the most beautiful garden in the world!

One might think that apples can give fruit in Iceland only in the greenhouses, but one would be wrong. Here’s one gardener’s story: http://www.fruitforum.net/articles/icelandic-apples Lately much hardier varieties have become available at least in Finland, and they bear fruit even in Ivalo, which is situated north of latitude 68, some 230 km north of the Arctic Circle. So, while the Mediterranean is out for Arni, apples he can get.

In terms of timing, the discussion is probably before Jon's piece, but the time there actually are any apples in the bushes may be after. Getting them established and then grow big enough to get fruit will likely take several years.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 07:48:44 AM by Jitter »

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2020, 07:44:29 AM »
Fascinating! Apples grow in the Snowy Mountains here, and Tasmania, the big island between Australia and the Antarctic, is famous for growing good apples, to the point where it is commonly called the Apple Isle. I have a Tasmanian apple tree, the Huonville Crab, which is unusual in that the flesh as well as the skin is red. It is too tart for many tastes, but I enjoy it as an eating apple, and it makes brilliant cider when combined with Malus purpurea, the Purple Crab, Granny Smith which is mainly grown as an eating apple, and Golden Harvey, a rare heritage all-purpose apple which I particularly treasure because it was bred by one of my great-grandcesters.

Where I live is on a high inland plateau where the Barossa, the Murraylands and the Adelaide Hills come together, so although we have the usual baking South Australian summer it can freeze in the winter, which apples really need to bear good fruit.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

steadfastjewel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they / them / theirs
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
Jon & Jitter- great vignettes! They are quite complimentary  ^-^  I think this year will see an increase in gardens, at least while folk are still homebound. I love the idea of the greenhouse coated in runes.

Roisin- I've never seen a red-fleshed apple like that! Interesting. I quite like tart varieties myself  ^-^ Certainly no difficulty with apple orchards in my part of the world- Northeast US has many.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2020, 09:28:43 AM »
Jitter, I like your vignette - it really gets you thinking about the things all those icelanders would be missing.

As for apples, here in Western Australia around the town of Donnybrook is where most of our apples are grown. I don't know much about Donnybrook, but I've driven through it a couple of times, and it's really going ham on the apple theme - the streetlamps even have apples hanging from them. Reminds me of another town that was a bit closer to where I once lived - Cowaramup, named for the cowara bird (or the '28' parrot), but since it was right in a dairy farming region it had slowly transformed into a cow-themed town. There are cow statues everywhere and half the shops are named with cow-based puns. It's weird, but kinda fun.

(edit: the wikipedia page for cowaramup says that the golden cow statue on a tall stick is locally called 'rump on a stump'. they're wrong. it's called 'roast on a post'.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:36:28 AM by Keep Looking »

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2020, 10:06:53 AM »
I guess both me and Jon had this page in mind: http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=54

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2020, 10:31:53 AM »
Jon Steele, that's a delicious short story! And Jitter's too! Both fit well together. To celebrate them I'll be eating an apple and a mandarin (at separate moments) today :)

Also fascinating how sturdy and adaptive apple trees seem to be, growing in so many different countries and climates. I've never heard, tough, about an apple that's red inside like Róisín described.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »
There are several, most of them wildings or natural hybrids like the Huonville Crab, so I have been amused to hear lately one of the commercial apple breeders here in SA making a huge fuss about having bred a red-fleshed apple, obviously thinking it was a new thing, and the only one. I managed to track down my plant through a contact in the Rare Fruit Society, having first seen it growing on a farm in Huonville while visiting relatives near there. It is only a small tree, but bears fruit most years, and is pretty as well as delicious.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2020, 12:12:55 AM »
Chapter Break Filler

.._.._..

Prompt 10: Growth

.._.._..

For today's prompt of Growth, Abprallen has wonderfully depicted the growth of one particular character, from now to what might be the future.

Thanks very much to Abprallen for today's contribution, and if any of you are inspired by this prompt, feel free to share what you've made!

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2020, 06:30:19 AM »
Thank you Abprallen! Quite the magnificent beard, worth his eventual standing as the local Noita and Wiseman. And the upset baby Onni is precious :)

Mine is again in a similar vein as today's main work, as in personal growth although of a different person. I only wrote this yesterday and still don't have an idea for tomorrow, so we shall see.

Growth
The grown-ups are weird. They seem to have completely forgotten the illness. All they talk about how we are going to have a nice holiday at the cabin. Who would take holiday in such weather? They are not fooling me!
The PlayGuy died. I don’t understand why I can’t get the batteries from the radio. Nothing’s on anyway, and nothing will be because of the weird static! But no, “This is important, dear” “We have to have it in case of emergency.” What emergency could possibly be worse than what we are having? And who would come?
That was no squirrel! It had the bushy tail, but that face… I don’t want to tell anyone it bit me. They’ll make me go away! But… but I have to! I could make someone else sick. What if Ensi gets it from me? I must tell! “Dad, about when I was in the wood just now…”
“But he’s my baby! He can’t survive on his own!”
“None of us survive if he stays! We’ll give him supplies of course, but this is the only way. You know that. I’m so so sorry”
“Don’t cry, mom. I want to go. I don’t want anything to happen to you! Or Ensi! She’s just a baby!”
I’ve been on the little island for over three weeks now. I’m getting really hungry. Could that mean I’m… turning? Into one of those things? But isn’t it normal to be hungry when you are out of food? I hope I’ll die soon so I don’t have to be hungry.
“Son, it seems by some miracle you are immune to it. You will be sorely needed on the defenses. I’m sorry you have to grow up so fast.”
“Dad, it’s not your fault. Besides, I’m grown already”.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:30:04 PM by Jitter »

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2020, 08:41:12 AM »
Abprallen, that's great! I love little grumpy Onni!

Jitter, that's Kaino, right? That's a fast way to grow, no doubt! It's a great take. I did said that we will compile the whole Hotakainen story one day... :)

Keep Looking, I will not cease to thank you for this wonderful series of fillers! What a great idea!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

yeethaw_gang

• Tumblr
  • bro....we're discussing the meaning of life bro...
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2020, 10:05:59 AM »
That is a really cool drawing and idea, Abprallen!

I did a small sketch in one of my workbooks because the idea would not leave me.

New things grow from what we leave behind
"you look stressed" "yeah, it's the stress"

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »
Grey, it's Veeti, i.e. the son of the Hollolas who is a kid in Y0 (and Taru's father later). Kaino is Aino's and Eino's sister, already adult in Y0. I tend to think that's who you meant, since Kaino obviously isn't a "son".

Yeethaw, the idea is beautiful!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2020, 11:04:59 AM »
Grey, it's Veeti, i.e. the son of the Hollolas who is a kid in Y0 (and Taru's father later). Kaino is Aino's and Eino's sister, already adult in Y0. I tend to think that's who you meant, since Kaino obviously isn't a "son".

Yeethaw, the idea is beautiful!

Yes, Veeti, of course. My confusion. :)

Yeethaw, that's a nice idea for a poem, too.