Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler  (Read 15308 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Chapter Break Filler
« on: April 08, 2020, 12:03:08 AM »
Chapter Break Filler

.._.._..

Prompt 1: Awakening

.._.._..

Although the next chapter cover is still to be revealed, today marks the first day of our chapter break filler (and no, I have not thought of a better name) - with a creative work by one of our very own Minnions for each day of the break! Today's prompt is 'Awakening', and to kick us off we have our wonderful mod and veteran of many an advent calendar, wavewright62, presenting us with an awakening of a rather... beary-eyed nature (haven't we all been there?)

Spoiler: show

Wavewright says: This is inspired by page 318, Reynir's first awakening in the dream world, tied into the present adventure traipsing across the backblocks of Silent World Finland

Thanks very much to Wavewright for taking the first day! And remember, if this prompt happens to inspire you in some way, feel free to make something of your own and share it on here as well! I'm sure we'd all love to see it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 01:37:05 AM by Keep Looking »
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Chapter Break Filler
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 12:46:15 AM »
EEEE I was so happy to make this!  Here is the page, for reference.
(I know it's a typo, but I think it's a Freudian slip apropos of the recent pages to refer to the crew as 'beary' eyed!)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 12:48:03 AM »
EEEE I was so happy to make this!  Here is the page, for reference.
(I know it's a typo, but I think it's a Freudian slip apropos of the recent pages to refer to the crew as 'beary' eyed!)

Oh, haha, that was a typo! But you're right - a rather appropriate one. Maybe I should keep it.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 02:12:45 AM »
Thank you for an excellent (eye)opener, Wave! And thank you again for arranging this, Keep looking!

It's now also open for dailies, right? Here's a little slice of life.

Awakening

Sigrun stretched. The roughness and somewhat stale smell of the blanket reminded her they had reached the pickup point. Her first awake thought was the crushing realization that three of her team were lost. The second was remembering that the boys had returned yesterday! Suddenly happier, she opened her eyes and stared directly to Mikkel’s. In the morning light his pale eyes looked surprisingly greenish. “What! Why are you staring! What are you doing!” Mikkel was sitting next to her bed.
“I’m watching my captain sleep. But now she’s awake, and apparently content. I will go find some breakfast” Mikkel answered levelly.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:38:45 PM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 03:04:20 AM »
As Keep Looking can confirm, I took care of my official prompt quite... promtptly, and decided that if I got ideas for any of the other prompts, I'd write them down. Of the two ideas I ended up needing to get out of my system in advance to be able to focus on a longer fic idea I'm trying to get off the ground, one of them fit nicely with today's prompt:

The warmest welcome

Onni was woken by a giggle from Tuuri. The first thing he became aware of was that he had not fallen asleep with his right arm under his blanket, as something warm and heavy was now keeping it pinned to the ground right next to his bedroll. He briefly wondered what it could be before remembering he was no longer travelling alone and that his travel companions were extremely dedicated to making sure he didn’t go off on his own a second time. Lalli in particular had been reluctant to leave his side. He was probably the one currently sleeping on his arm. Tuuri’s voice responded to the thought with amusement:
-It isn’t Lalli.
That explained the giggle from earlier. Onni was now reluctant to open his eyes. He couldn’t think of an option that was not going to be embarrassing. However, he quickly realized that how carefully he was planning to get his arm out of under the other person depended on their identity, and looking at who it was would be the only way to know. He opened his eyes. It was the cat. Onni hadn’t paid much attention to her aside from noticing her presence and her new collar. The cat hadn’t seemed to pay much attention to Onni either. Yet, there she was, sleeping on his arm, something she wouldn’t be doing if she didn’t feel safe around him. His plans for getting his arm free hadn’t taken her into account. He didn’t have the heart to disturb her peaceful slumber anyway. He decided to catch a few more minutes of rest.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:40:21 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Mariiii

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 06:26:57 AM »
Wavewright62, I really like your drawing, and Kitty playing with Reynir's braid is so cute !

It's now also open for dailies, right? Here's a little slice of life.

It is really well done !

As Keep Looking can confirm, I took care of my official prompt quite... promtptly, and decided that if I got ideas for any of the other prompts, I'd write them down. Of the two ideas I ended up needing to get out of my system in advance to be able to focus on a longer fic idea I'm trying to get off the ground, one of them fit nicely with today's prompt.

I hope we will have this kind of interactions between Onni and Kitty happening in the comic  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:50:30 AM by Mariiii »
Native :france:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :japan:
Understand :spain:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 06:57:31 AM »
Grade E cat, that was lovely! I'm going to have to admit I was expecting it to be another ginger, but this is perfect! For once, no embarrassment even when some is anticipated :)

Now I wonder has Lalli arranged this with Kitty? Are they getting along too?

Mariiii, thanks! I have more on the next prompts, not for every one at least as of yet but we'll see :) Most of the ones I have already aren't this directly from canon, however.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:59:58 AM by Jitter »

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

yeethaw_gang

• Tumblr
  • bro....we're discussing the meaning of life bro...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 08:33:48 AM »
That is a beautiful drawing wave! I love the way you draw stars. I wrote a poem with today's prompt, unfortunately it's not SSSS related.
"you look stressed" "yeah, it's the stress"

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 09:46:43 AM »
yeethaw, do post it anyways! Pretty please!

yeethaw_gang

• Tumblr
  • bro....we're discussing the meaning of life bro...
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 10:15:18 AM »
Alright, alright. Here we go

Awakening

The sun rises, the rays wipe
The traces of sleep from your eyes
The dust circulates with your breathing
And everything comes into focus

The sun sets, the rays retreat
Sleep settles on your eyelids
Like the dust does on your covers
Everything fades away

What did you do the entire day?
Did the ripples of your actions
Spread into the ocean of so many others?
Did you make a difference for someone?

The sun rises, the sun sets
Time passes
You grow older
And life goes on
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:36:43 PM by yeethaw_gang »
"you look stressed" "yeah, it's the stress"

steadfastjewel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they / them / theirs
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »
Wave, I love your drawing! Your style is so distinct yet it still captures the feel of the comic pages. Waking up after a night in the woods can often be a bit of a stiff endeavor, though I'm sure our gang is getting used to it by now. Love Kitty.

I also love the bonus written vignettes! So simple and nice...

Yeethaw, the poem is sweet!

This is going to be an interesting chapter break  :)

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 01:59:29 PM »
Everyone's responses to the prompts are so good! I love all of them...Wave's excellent link between Finland and Reynir's first awakening to the dreamworld, Jitter's sweet little slice of life, Grade E Cat's wonderful short fic (with Tuuri!!!), and yeethaw_gang's lovely poem...Nice going, all of you :D
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 03:58:21 PM »
These are all so cool! I like the pastel colors, wave. Jitter, you're fulfilling my Sigrun&Mikkel ship quota for today! I absolutely love Onni and his cat, Grade E (you wouldn't mind if I possibly did a little fan art, would you? it's just too cute to pass up  ;D), and that is a very cool poem, yeethaw. This whole thing was such a good idea!!
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 05:55:13 PM »
Wow, I'm blown away by the bonus content!  I agree with steadfastjewel, this is going to be the best chapter break ever.
Grade E Cat and Yeethaw, may I request that you remove the spoilers on your posts?  Your pieces are well short enough to not require data protection, plus y'all need to be loud 'n' proud about that content! 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »
Great first day! Official and unofficial contributions all made me smile. Looking forward to the rest of the break. Y'all are a talented bunch.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: