Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411334 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14265 on: March 02, 2016, 01:38:44 AM »
I like to pretend that I'm cool, hip and with it, but have only been a member of the forum for a few months and hence have missed out on a lot of stuff. And I have a (very inane) question about that stuff. And my inane question (which is mine) is what's the deal with the blorp, blep and accordion trolls?

Heh, they all appeared kind of gradually, but Lauftroll/accordion troll is actually my SSSSona. The accordion troll part began right at the start when I posted a picture of it for the first time and Fim made a joke about it looking like an accordion. I immediately added to the troll's description that it actually makes and accordion sound as it moves and Haiz got inspired:

The troll has even been used as an actual accordion.

There's an explanation too on why it looks the way it does:

And a little info sheet to end with:

I had nothing what so ever do to with the creation of a troll accordion penguin thing! That was Viola, Haiz, Solo and Fim's collective fault. :Þ
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14266 on: March 02, 2016, 02:05:21 AM »
ah, sweet forum history.

- Laufey made the first trollsona, not intending to draw it more than once, and then merely linking to the picture because it was 'ugly as sin'. LITTLE DID WE KNOW

- blorptroll was something i created for no good reason at all, other than 'i want a trollsona too'. it has no characteristics other than screaming vowels (which is funny when combined with the other meme 'Czech Has No Vowels') and being small. it got surprisingly popular, almost being a sort of forum mascot? I wasn't so comfortable with other people acting as if they owned the blorptroll when it was in fact my character, so maybe that's why it has ceased a bit.

- Bleptroll stems from dood leordie, on a drawing fimbulvarg drew, something about 'Reynirs new pet" - Reynir holding a tiny, octopuslike troll going blep. this spawned a small era of the blep and the use of this smiley: :þ

- SectoBoss' wonderful coffee fic was based on one of my dood leordies, and included the blorp- and bleptroll as cameos.

- the penguin incident....... there were decisions made about laufey being a penguin while i was unable to participate (i was at a concert in a foreign corner of czech actually), but it happened in the golden time of art reflexes, so i decided i HAD to draw laufey as a accordion penguin troll even if in retrospect.

.......... suffice to say i may or may not have had something to do with most big things that happened on the forum around these times.
you'll know where to find me.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #14267 on: March 02, 2016, 02:20:46 AM »
You - what - did what -

Holy wow, that dedication!

I did it cause I wanted to see it at 50/50 plus I was kinda missing Fimby.

I'm now working on a present for a coworker, and it's going to take me a while, too.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14268 on: March 02, 2016, 02:22:26 AM »
Thank you, Haiz and Laufey! With your account of the parts I couldn't see happening, MUCH is now explained!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14269 on: March 02, 2016, 02:59:15 AM »
Thank you, Haiz and Laufey! With your account of the parts I couldn't see happening, MUCH is now explained!

Seconded! Thank you both, and thanks also to everyone else who shared their troll-wisdom :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14270 on: March 02, 2016, 09:26:31 AM »

Oh you have some dignity left? I hope this picture helps with that!

(No really, this cat is so friendly and cute and curious and and and!)
*_*

Welp, there goes all my remaining dignity out of the window. Not that I need dignity anyway, I'm just teaching kids these days. You don't need dignity for teaching jobs right? (Also, in my defence there are not enough cats here and I am in desperate need of cute cat pictures, thank you very much >"<)

As to that, there's this little place at the northern tip of Honshu called Misawa-shi, in Aomori-ken. It's at the same latitude as NYC and has a very similar climate - 40C+ summers with 90% humidity (and no a/c because "the local power grid is too fragile") and winters with 4 - 5 meters of snowfall average. I lived there for 2 years, so I remember it well.

Oooooh, another person who lived in Japan!!!!!! I had no idea, but there actually seem to be quite a few forumites with some ties to this place now that I think about it  :)) I am considerably further south than Aomori now, so our maximum snow was about .5m, and even that was pretty big apparently  ::) but nearly five years ago now I was in Aomori for the Matsuri though and OHMYGOSHYES the humidity was surreal! ..... well at least for a british person with no experience of humidity

Hahah, it's funny seeing how these things have somehow turned into forum lore :P There are some truly beautiful things on the self inserts thread including magical girl blorps and lauftrolls if one had the patience to look, but boy is there a lot to go though if you wanted to find anything out on your own! Good thing there's still some about who remember  ^-^
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
« Reply #14271 on: March 02, 2016, 09:40:24 AM »
Ah... things now start to become a bit clearer - particularly knowing that Haiz was involved ;)

Fear and Loathing in Kastrup is indeed one of my favourite fics. I completely lost it when Sigrun flipped out about the crew becoming dumb beasts. ;D

One of my favorite fanfics! I think that the funniest part for me was when it described Emil desperately trying to remain sane... despite the fact that he was suddenly seeing in six dimensions!
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14272 on: March 02, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »
It's a favourite of mine too - so funny! Sigrun with the knife, Emil's mind, Tuuri and Reynir speed-chattering.....
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14273 on: March 02, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
Fear and Loathing in Kastrup is indeed one of my favourite fics. I completely lost it when Sigrun flipped out about the crew becoming dumb beasts. ;D
One of my favorite fanfics! I think that the funniest part for me was when it described Emil desperately trying to remain sane... despite the fact that he was suddenly seeing in six dimensions!
It's a favourite of mine too - so funny! Sigrun with the knife, Emil's mind, Tuuri and Reynir speed-chattering.....

Well, my day's getting a fair bit brighter off the back of these... Thanks! :D
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14274 on: March 02, 2016, 11:12:35 AM »
Yey! Someone finally noticed what I've done. *getting it to 50/50 was my pet project for a couple of months*

I did it cause I wanted to see it at 50/50 plus I was kinda missing Fimby.

There is balance in the force 8O
Aww snookums, you're my favourite deputy forest-dweller

I was considering starting a new thread for this, but it really doesn't seem threadworthy, and then I was debating what existing thread to put it in and couldn't find an exact fit, so decided to throw caution to the wind and add it the general discussion thread.

A sort of 'Junior Forumite Information Desk' thread actually sounds like a neat way for newcomers to get familiarised with the lore and the strange in-jokes. Maybe even in the anon-board, so people won't be nervous about it.

- Laufey made the first trollsona, not intending to draw it more than once, and then merely linking to the picture because it was 'ugly as sin'. LITTLE DID WE KNOW
- blorptroll was something i created for no good reason at all, other than 'i want a trollsona too'. it has no characteristics other than screaming vowels (which is funny when combined with the other meme 'Czech Has No Vowels') and being small. it got surprisingly popular, almost being a sort of forum mascot? I wasn't so comfortable with other people acting as if they owned the blorptroll when it was in fact my character, so maybe that's why it has ceased a bit.
- Bleptroll stems from dood leordie, on a drawing fimbulvarg drew, something about 'Reynirs new pet" - Reynir holding a tiny, octopuslike troll going blep. this spawned a small era of the blep and the use of this smiley: :þ
- SectoBoss' wonderful coffee fic was based on one of my dood leordies, and included the blorp- and bleptroll as cameos.
- the penguin incident....... there were decisions made about laufey being a penguin while i was unable to participate (i was at a concert in a foreign corner of czech actually), but it happened in the golden time of art reflexes, so i decided i HAD to draw laufey as a accordion penguin troll even if in retrospect.

If it sounds bizzare odds are that the original Trouble Trio (tm) is behind it.

Well, my day's getting a fair bit brighter off the back of these... Thanks! :D

Well, you're basically some kind of SSSS national poet. William... Sectospear.

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #14275 on: March 02, 2016, 11:40:57 AM »
Sectospear
Sounds like some badass sci-fi weapon! :D
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14276 on: March 02, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »
Nice title ! ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14277 on: March 02, 2016, 12:20:24 PM »
I shall take these accolades with both hands :D
(Even though I'm almost as bad a poet as I am an artist)

Sounds like some badass sci-fi weapon! :D
If it's anything like me it'll only look good on paper and only work when it feels like it... ::)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #14278 on: March 02, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »
Tsss. I love read you. And I know I'm not the only one ! ;)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

IKEA

« Reply #14279 on: March 02, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »
I shall take these accolades with both hands :D
If it's anything like me it'll only look good on paper and only work when it feels like it... ::)

Come on over to the Poetry thread, we could use you. (Pleeease? Right now it's just Corncobman and occasionally me.)