Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411273 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14985 on: April 10, 2016, 04:45:53 AM »
Who will undo a whole sleeve today because she understood there was a problem with the pattern at the end of the knitting today ? It's meeeeeee...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14986 on: April 10, 2016, 06:56:34 AM »
Also, I have another question. Is student loan debt really not a thing outside America? Because total student loan debt in America is now 1.2 trillion. Which is like...many money.

I don't know how it runs now, but when I went to Uni here in Australia the Government paid for most of it, with the understanding that once I started earning above a certain amount they'd take a bit out of my pay each month until it was paid back. I got it paid back after working full time for about 6 years, and at no point was it any stress or worry.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14987 on: April 10, 2016, 07:07:20 AM »
Way back in the day, I did my science degree on a Commonwealth scholarship, which paid for books and tuition and gave me a living allowance , and I also worked, then when I did further study in Scotland and America I also worked and paid for it myself. Then when my kids were studying, those who did tertiary stuff did it on the fund I'd been paying into all their lives, except for one who won a scholarship. Now when some of my grandkids are in tertiary education, or have finished, one did it on a scholarship, the others are working as well. But the Australian government sadly seems to be moving toward the American model of pricing education out of the reach of all except the very rich.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #14988 on: April 10, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »
What if, I went to Findland for graduate school. I mean, after I found out about the sword thing I joked about going to Finland for graduate school just for the sword thing, but then I heard about how Finland is frequently ranked for having one of the best education systems in the world, and if I'm not mistaken is tied with Korea on a lot of subjects for highest scores. So now I'm like, no seriously, what if I did go to Finland for graduate school. Naturally I'd totally order my own sword to keep.

They said so at university, too. Does any of you fins know about plans of your government to make some recent reforms of educational system undone?

Apperently finish and swedish educational systems have such a good claim, that even experiments that might be taken back by these governments are something they freak out about in germany and want to install it imediatly. They just miss the point when something does not work out ;).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

IKEA

« Reply #14989 on: April 10, 2016, 07:55:18 AM »
Tuition in the States is ridiculous, but a lot of the big private colleges (Harvard, Northeastern, Yale etc.) do give out quite a lot of aid, especially if your family isn't very well off financially. Often it is actually more affordable to go to an Ivy than to one of the big state schools, especially from out-of-state. Of course, this is contingent upon you actually getting into these schools, which is a bit difficult.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14990 on: April 10, 2016, 08:28:37 AM »
Also, I have another question. Is student loan debt really not a thing outside America? Because total student loan debt in America is now 1.2 trillion. Which is like...many money.

It's becoming a problem in the UK too, due to recent hikes in tuition fees. Once upon a time it used to be that most students were given grants if they went to university - now they're charged £9000 a year ($12,700). Now there are conditions to that (as with what Purple Wyrm said, you have to pay it back once you get above a certain pay grade) but it is definitely a source of worry to all British students I know.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

« Reply #14991 on: April 10, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »
It's becoming a problem in the UK too, due to recent hikes in tuition fees. Once upon a time it used to be that most students were given grants if they went to university - now they're charged £9000 a year ($12,700). Now there are conditions to that (as with what Purple Wyrm said, you have to pay it back once you get above a certain pay grade) but it is definitely a source of worry to all British students I know.
Once again, I feel I have been so lucky with that :-\ Okay, I had a little job during my master degree because I had to pay bills and buy food, but if I had stayed at my parent's house it wouldn't have been necessary, and for what I know, the only friend who had a debt had it after an Erasmus's year in Iceland. (But I'm speaking for persons who where studying in university, colleges can be veeeeeeery expensive.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14992 on: April 10, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »
Once again, I feel I have been so lucky with that :-\ Okay, I had a little job during my master degree because I had to pay bills and buy food, but if I had stayed at my parent's house it wouldn't have been necessary, and for what I know, the only friend who had a debt had it after an Erasmus's year in Iceland. (But I'm speaking for persons who where studying in university, colleges can be veeeeeeery expensive.)

The current plan is to work menial jobs for the rest of my life so I don't earn enough to have to worry about paying it back ;D
(No longer sure if I'm joking or not...)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14993 on: April 10, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »
In Canada tuition is pretty cheap. Some people get loans, but recently the government has just declared that at least in Ontario, if your parents make under X amount of money then you get free tuition. People who make more than that can get a certain amount deducted. My school is around mid range for expensiveness here and tuition for a year is about 6,000-7,000 CAD which is around 4,500-5,500 USD or around 4,000-5,000 Euros. Text books are about 200-300 CAD for my program a semester. Basically I can get 4 years of school for less than the price of one year in the US at an equally good school.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14994 on: April 10, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »
I wish there was something like eurovision but with all folk metal songs instead of the mostly boring pop. All countries would try to make the best metal songs using inspiration from their folklore and we would then all vote for the ones we like the most.

also page 999 cool
Pretentious? Moi?

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14995 on: April 10, 2016, 12:36:21 PM »
I wish there was something like eurovision but with all folk metal songs instead of the mostly boring pop. All countries would try to make the best metal songs using inspiration from their folklore and we would then all vote for the ones we like the most.

That would be amazing. Mannn now I wish it existed....
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14996 on: April 10, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
also page 999 cool
*is summoned*

ahhhhhhhhh I know I was just in Italy, but I'm going on a school excursion to Athens tomorrow....... I'm pretty pumped about seeing the akropolis
you'll know where to find me.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14997 on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
ahhhhhhhhh I know I was just in Italy, but I'm going on a school excursion to Athens tomorrow....... I'm pretty pumped about seeing the akropolis

o_o Oh my gosh... that sounds so awesome. Yeah, can totally understand being pumped for that. (Miiight be a bit jelly over here, just a little...)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

« Reply #14998 on: April 10, 2016, 03:52:14 PM »
*Envious sigh* Enjoy it, Haiz :)

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14999 on: April 10, 2016, 04:02:21 PM »
On the subject of student debt and cost of education here in the USA. My son started at very good engineering university. $50K US, he got a scholarship for $5K, so $45K. But I sat there listening to the school pres drone on and did the math in my head. There were about 900 in his incoming class. Granted a lot were getting more scholarship that he was but still his class was probably bringing in 30 - 40 million, and there are 3 other classes, not to mention the grad students. So conservatively about 100 Million per year. I checked the professors salaries. About 500 of them with the fulls getting 140K the asst's getting 90K. So say 100K average or about 50 million for teacher salary. Then there's all the admin staff and service staff. Building maintenance, etc, etc, etc. But the pres is probably pulling down 250 - 300K the Deans, heads of departments certainly more than the professors. So that 100 million disappears pretty quickly.
After one year my son decided he didn't want to be a scientist/engineer so he's finishing up as an English major at a state school where it's more like 10K a semester, 20 K a year.

The point being that the big cheeze's are getting payed way beyond their true value in academia and especially in business and it's driving the prices of everything up. Having all that money the rich folks want to spend it to show it off. So all the feeder companies jack their prices up so the rich will feel like they're getting something for their money. The wanabe's will pay more for the second tier goods trying to be like the rich, and so it goes. Reagan's trickle down theory actually works, just not the way he espoused it.  :'D
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams