Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424757 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15000 on: April 10, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »
I wish there was something like eurovision but with all folk metal songs instead of the mostly boring pop. All countries would try to make the best metal songs using inspiration from their folklore and we would then all vote for the ones we like the most.

Only band that I know of that's done something like this is Sabaton, with their Carolus Rex album. Probably a lot more, but they haven't gotten popular enough here in the US. Seriously though, I would love to see more historical power metal.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15001 on: April 10, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
Only band that I know of that's done something like this is Sabaton, with their Carolus Rex album. Probably a lot more, but they haven't gotten popular enough here in the US. Seriously though, I would love to see more historical power metal.

Surely you know ALL of Sabaton's songs are about history? Off the top of my head I also remember Turisas - The Varangian Way (about Vikings traveling to Constantinople). If you google history themed metal you'll find more.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #15002 on: April 10, 2016, 05:16:16 PM »

It's pretty common for bands to do history-inspired stuff here and there; Iron Maiden is one that comes to mind. But yeah, full albums are less usual.

But anyway, the original remark was about folklore-inspired songs, and that covers a wiiiide range of bands.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15003 on: April 10, 2016, 07:00:57 PM »
Folklore-inspired.... I quite liked Horslips' take on the Táin, called, logically, 'Táin'. When my cousin first drew the album to my attention I expected to hate it, because the original Táin is one of my favourite story-cycles both to listen to and to tell, but their treatment of it was great.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

TicTac

• I am a happy little TicTac
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #15004 on: April 10, 2016, 08:05:45 PM »
On the subject of student debt and cost of education here in the USA. My son started at very good engineering university. $50K US, he got a scholarship for $5K, so $45K. But I sat there listening to the school pres drone on and did the math in my head. There were about 900 in his incoming class. Granted a lot were getting more scholarship that he was but still his class was probably bringing in 30 - 40 million, and there are 3 other classes, not to mention the grad students. So conservatively about 100 Million per year. I checked the professors salaries. About 500 of them with the fulls getting 140K the asst's getting 90K. So say 100K average or about 50 million for teacher salary. Then there's all the admin staff and service staff. Building maintenance, etc, etc, etc. But the pres is probably pulling down 250 - 300K the Deans, heads of departments certainly more than the professors. So that 100 million disappears pretty quickly.
After one year my son decided he didn't want to be a scientist/engineer so he's finishing up as an English major at a state school where it's more like 10K a semester, 20 K a year.

The point being that the big cheeze's are getting payed way beyond their true value in academia and especially in business and it's driving the prices of everything up. Having all that money the rich folks want to spend it to show it off. So all the feeder companies jack their prices up so the rich will feel like they're getting something for their money. The wanabe's will pay more for the second tier goods trying to be like the rich, and so it goes. Reagan's trickle down theory actually works, just not the way he espoused it.  :'D

Woah. I'm not super sure on how Uni costs work in Australia, since I haven't yet finished high school (though I should probably figure it out since I plan on going to uni in a couple years). But I am looking at other options, like getting a scholarship with the army, probably for nursing or something. Those scholarships are really competitive, and I can only qualify after one semester of Uni, so I have to get like, top grades. And if I do get it, after uni is over I have to work for the army for however many years I was at uni, plus one. Which I can live with, I would probably enjoy it. But who knows.
Fluent: :australia:
Know a few phrases: :china:
Know random words: :germany: :spain: (thanks Dora)
Want to learn, eventually: :finland:
Survived :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:

IKEA

« Reply #15005 on: April 10, 2016, 09:39:48 PM »

ALMOST 1000 PAGES!

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #15006 on: April 10, 2016, 11:45:07 PM »
it's not even 6am and i might be hallucinating, but did the entire comic section just disappear from the forum
you'll know where to find me.

saminiemi

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #15007 on: April 10, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »
it's not even 6am and i might be hallucinating, but did the entire comic section just disappear from the forum
It is still there :)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15008 on: April 10, 2016, 11:54:03 PM »

It should still be there. Maybe you minimized it by accident?

Edit: Aaaah first post on page 1000!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15009 on: April 10, 2016, 11:55:50 PM »
*THROWS CONFETTI ALL OVER THE PLACE*

Happy 1000th page, everyone!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #15010 on: April 11, 2016, 12:14:43 AM »
Woohoo! 1,000 pages!

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15011 on: April 11, 2016, 12:32:50 AM »
Happy 1,000th page, everyone! May we all see many more!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Puls3

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #15012 on: April 11, 2016, 02:05:58 AM »
Whoop whoop!
 *brings out 1000 freshly baked squirrel cookies* Let's feast!
Have a more extensive vocabulary in :england: than :sweden: (which is scary considering that I'm born and raised here)
Can only pronounce a few sentences of :spain:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #15013 on: April 11, 2016, 02:53:27 AM »
*posts on the 1000th page just to have a post on the 1000th page*

...Happy 1000th page! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #15014 on: April 11, 2016, 03:34:19 AM »
 ;D page 1000!! Aw yeah guys!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race