Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387731 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14970 on: April 09, 2016, 08:23:11 PM »
I am oddly excited that one of the photos the hiveworks twitter has posted from some con shows the artd book on display
you'll know where to find me.

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #14971 on: April 09, 2016, 08:26:54 PM »
I am oddly excited that one of the photos the hiveworks twitter has posted from some con shows the artd book on display
I thought I saw the artd book in one of the photos! It surprised me when I saw it, I guess someone lucky will get to buy it, since I figure they're selling it.

So I didn't say anything about this yet, but my sister's baby was born yesterday! I got to see her today, it was interesting. I've never been around hardly any babies in my entire life. I'm an aunt now. :)

Also, I think I have a crumb under the 's' button on my keyboard, it's being temperamental.
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14972 on: April 09, 2016, 08:28:43 PM »

I'm just going to... stare longingly at that photo. Yes.

(Some day, aRTD book, you will be mine. Some day.)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #14973 on: April 09, 2016, 10:57:22 PM »
Yes, there are bees there. The honey of the Nordic brown bee has been harvested for around 8,000 years that we know of from archaeology, and was likely the source of mead in the sagas. Over the last few centuries Italian bees have been imported, and bees are kept as far north as the Arctic Circle.

Oh man...that is actually really helpful,thank you.

Also, I have another question. Is student loan debt really not a thing outside America? Because total student loan debt in America is now 1.2 trillion. Which is like...many money.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Puls3

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #14974 on: April 10, 2016, 01:47:05 AM »

So I didn't say anything about this yet, but my sister's baby was born yesterday! I got to see her today, it was interesting. I've never been around hardly any babies in my entire life. I'm an aunt now. :)
Congratulations auntie (got a new cousin myself a few weeks ago)!

It's so cool being around one, at least until they start to cry for a multitude of reasons.

Also, I have another question. Is student loan debt really not a thing outside America? Because total student loan debt in America is now 1.2 trillion. Which is like...many money.
Could buy a lot of SSSS books with that money :o

I don't think student loan is such I big thing over here in Sweden (I even think we get paid to attend university), and even if you are in debt, it would probably be a manageable sum that wouldn't affect your financial situation too bad (not too sure though, need to look into it more).
Have a more extensive vocabulary in :england: than :sweden: (which is scary considering that I'm born and raised here)
Can only pronounce a few sentences of :spain:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14975 on: April 10, 2016, 02:57:43 AM »

It isn't. In my Eastern European country, most people can get 3 years of free University education. Some people have to pay for their studies, but it's not usual to take loans for that. Families can and will pay for their kids' studies just from savings. The cost of education is nowhere as high as in the US, but the quality of that education isn't all that good either.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14976 on: April 10, 2016, 03:07:43 AM »

Studying is almost free in Finland and Iceland and books are - well, they're expensive but nothing on par some horror stories I've heard from the USA. Finland also gives people a monthly student allowance which also helps. As an idea, when I graduated as a goldsmith I was about 10 000€ in debt and already paid it all back years ago.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #14977 on: April 10, 2016, 03:28:10 AM »
Studying is almost free in Finland and Iceland and books are - well, they're expensive but nothing on par some horror stories I've heard from the USA. Finland also gives people a monthly student allowance which also helps. As an idea, when I graduated as a goldsmith I was about 10 000€ in debt and already paid it all back years ago.

Speaking of education in Finland, I heart a rumor once that when you get your doctorates degree in Finland you're not just awarded with your diploma, but you're also given an honorary sword. Is this true ???

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14978 on: April 10, 2016, 03:33:09 AM »
Speaking of education in Finland, I heart a rumor once that when you get your doctorates degree in Finland you're not just awarded with your diploma, but you're also given an honorary sword. Is this true ???
You have to buy it yourself, I'm afraid. :D
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

saminiemi

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #14979 on: April 10, 2016, 03:33:18 AM »
A fair description. Me and my wife had together less that 5000€ after graduating. And most of that was from the time when we had kids and nobody working fulltime. And we did 3 degrees in 10 years with that.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #14980 on: April 10, 2016, 03:36:56 AM »
You have to buy it yourself, I'm afraid. :D

What ?!?! No !! Is it at least a special sword for people with doctorate degrees ??

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14981 on: April 10, 2016, 03:43:21 AM »
What ?!?! No !! Is it at least a special sword for people with doctorate degrees ??

Oh yes! It's designed by Akseli Gallen-Kallela and each university has their own insignia they attach to it. You can also borrow one just for graduation is you don't want to buy one of your own, or you can use some other straight-bladed sword instead, as long as it's not a military one.

EDIT: scroll down for a pic of what the sword looks like. Here's one unsheathed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:45:42 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14982 on: April 10, 2016, 03:45:27 AM »
Oh yes! It's designed by Akseli Gallen-Kallela and each university has their own insignia they attach to it. You can also borrow one just for graduation is you don't want to buy one of your own, or you can use some other straight-bladed sword instead, as long as it's not a military one.
And apparently it symbolizes truth.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #14983 on: April 10, 2016, 03:48:31 AM »

What if, I went to Findland for graduate school. I mean, after I found out about the sword thing I joked about going to Finland for graduate school just for the sword thing, but then I heard about how Finland is frequently ranked for having one of the best education systems in the world, and if I'm not mistaken is tied with Korea on a lot of subjects for highest scores. So now I'm like, no seriously, what if I did go to Finland for graduate school. Naturally I'd totally order my own sword to keep.

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14984 on: April 10, 2016, 04:31:29 AM »
What if, I went to Findland for graduate school. I mean, after I found out about the sword thing I joked about going to Finland for graduate school just for the sword thing, but then I heard about how Finland is frequently ranked for having one of the best education systems in the world, and if I'm not mistaken is tied with Korea on a lot of subjects for highest scores. So now I'm like, no seriously, what if I did go to Finland for graduate school. Naturally I'd totally order my own sword to keep.
Well, if you're considering it, this might be a good place to start looking for information: http://www.studyinfinland.fi/