Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411586 times)

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14955 on: April 08, 2016, 09:35:34 PM »
fun things about shelling peas:

• haha there are no fun things

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14956 on: April 09, 2016, 08:35:44 AM »
Okay so instead of doing work my friend and I spent most of the morning throwing together a Star Wars AU that's equal parts villainy and incompetence. I'm leaving it here in case any any Star Wars fans amongst us think it's good for a laugh.

Spoiler: show
In the darkest reaches of the Outer Rim, a new threat has arisen. The sinister First Order plots to bring the entire galaxy to heel, if it can just get its act together for five minutes.

The mysterious leader of the First Order is Supreme Leader BB-8, an astromech droid who rose to power following Palpatine’s death through a series of schemes far too complex for organic minds to comprehend. Any who suggest that the Supreme Leader achieved power by acting cute and adorable will be put to death.
BB-8 rules the Order with an iron fist – or at least, we think he does, as no-one can actually understand what he’s saying. Rumours abound that he is a powerful force-user, possibly because he routinely electrocutes people who displease him with his built-in taser. The Supreme Leader would wear a menacing hooded cloak, as befits his station, but unfortunately he is too small for a cloak and has to make do with a napkin draped over his head.

Commanding the First Order’s ground forces is General Finn, who is not good at his job. An order from the Supreme Leader to slaughter the defenceless inhabitants of an innocent farming village should be a simple one to carry out but Finn can be counted on to mangle it, usually along these lines: "But... should we kill everyone? Maybe half will do? Or how about we just menace them a bunch? Yeah… yeah, that'll teach 'em!"
His soldiers’ devious tactics include offering people food and then eating it themselves (no small feat when wearing a Stormtrooper helmet), and pushing people over, giving them a hand getting up, and then pushing them over again. No resistance base goes un-menaced when General Finn’s on the clock!

The general’s opposite number within the First Order’s forces is Admiral Poe Dameron, and he’s really bummed that they won’t let him fly TIE fighters anymore. Consequently he insists on piloting his Star Destroyer himself despite the fact it can't pull any of the stunts he thinks it can. Visitors to the bridge are often treated to the sight of the admiral at the massive control banks, running back and forth between them shouting things like "watch this sick barrel roll!" and "evasive manoeuvres!" (the latter whether or not there are any enemy vessels nearby).

Completing the trio of the Supreme Leader’s underlings is Kylo Rey, a woman who still can’t get over how cool being force-sensitive is. BB-8 trained her to be a powerful Jedi-killer, but Rey prefers goofing off to plotting the fall of the Jedi and the New Republic. Given a cool mask and an even cooler lightsaber, she’d rather make toast using her lightsaber than ruling the galaxy with an iron fist. For Rey every day’s a new day to discover what the force can do – examples include:
"Look! I can pull that drinks can over here from across the room!"
"Wanna see me make a stormtrooper do the funky chicken dance?"
"20 credits says I can jump start a car with force lightning!"
"50 credits says I can fire a photon torpedo into an exhaust port while piloting a captured X-wing!"
And that’s how Starkiller Base got destroyed.

Meanwhile, a young scavenger called Ben Solo is stuck on the desert planet Jakku and blaming his parents for absolutely everything that goes wrong in his life. And one day – as stormtroopers steal his lunch money while a woman in a mask throws toast at his head with the force and a Star Destroyer does barrel rolls in the sky above – he decides enough is enough: he’s joining the resistance. Just as soon as his mum’s packed him a lunch.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14957 on: April 09, 2016, 08:52:18 AM »
Is there anything as enjoyable (for a native English speaker at least) as the Scots Wikipedia?

For instance, from the article on Trolls...

Trowes is thocht tae be wee, scunnersome beasties that bides in tummocks an krivocks.

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14958 on: April 09, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
Is there anything as enjoyable (for a native English speaker at least) as the Scots Wikipedia?

Trowes is thocht tae be wee, scunnersome beasties that bides in tummocks an krivocks.

Oh man, this is great. I think it had me with the "Did ye ken...?" section!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14959 on: April 09, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »

Oh man. I just got sucked into browsing this. Now I'm thinking in a scottish accent....
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14960 on: April 09, 2016, 10:17:43 AM »

This is mind bending... My brain is basically saying "This isn't English, you can't read this... but here's what it says." XD

*gets lost in Scots Wikipedia for hours*
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #14961 on: April 09, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »
For a similar experience for French native speakers, the Norman wikipedia.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Mélusine

« Reply #14962 on: April 09, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »
I... O_o
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Troposphère

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • because chaos.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14963 on: April 09, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »

"L' Afrique est un continnent. Ch'est l'deuxième des continnents par grandeu et par populâtion."

This is awesome. Thank you for sharing!
native: :france:
ok: :uk:
have learned for years but can just say hi: :germany:
just a few words: :sweden: :iceland:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14964 on: April 09, 2016, 12:36:21 PM »
I have been sucked headfirst into the science section of Scots Wiki. Send help.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14965 on: April 09, 2016, 12:39:14 PM »

I come up for air from the Scotts wikipedia only to get sucked into this one.... XD

Next I'll be reading the Faroese wikipedia or something
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #14966 on: April 09, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »
doing research for fics in this fandom

Icon drawn by Piney

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #14967 on: April 09, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »
KicknRun, I like how your post goes with your signature xD

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #14968 on: April 09, 2016, 06:43:16 PM »
KicknRun, I like how your post goes with your signature xD

Literally 90% of my writing is me just winging it, so it fits.

Icon drawn by Piney

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14969 on: April 09, 2016, 08:19:58 PM »
Yes, there are bees there. The honey of the Nordic brown bee has been harvested for around 8,000 years that we know of from archaeology, and was likely the source of mead in the sagas. Over the last few centuries Italian bees have been imported, and bees are kept as far north as the Arctic Circle.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!