Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409250 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14460 on: March 12, 2016, 06:53:01 PM »
The only way to deal with that kind of nonsense is the Icelandic "is this not a jeep"-approach: take a shortcut through the middle. Remember to use an actual jeep or the magic might not work.

It's either that or following the advice painted onto the road: Yield. Put the car in reverse and back away slowly.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14461 on: March 12, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
Yeah, that aerial view does look rather like some kind of horrible invoking mandala, doesn't it? Does explain where traffic fines spawn from....
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #14462 on: March 12, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »
It's either that or following the advice painted onto the road: Yield. Put the car in reverse and back away slowly.

Fimby, Fimby, Fimby, don't you know that leads to being ambushed?
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14463 on: March 12, 2016, 07:14:54 PM »
Fimby, Fimby, Fimby, don't you know that leads to being ambushed?

The choice between risking an ambush or risking being stuck doing perpetual circuits inside the Devil's own roundabout is not easy.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14464 on: March 12, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
I've been made aware that there is such a thing as multi-roundabouts, and I can only conclude that the Devil itself was involved in its invention:

Spoiler: show

They don't look that bad you just take them as they come.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14465 on: March 12, 2016, 07:41:26 PM »
I've been made aware that there is such a thing as multi-roundabouts, and I can only conclude that the Devil itself was involved in its invention:

The middle one is the famous 'Magic Roundabout' in Swindon.

It has its own Wikipedia page!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14466 on: March 12, 2016, 08:58:34 PM »

Spoiler: show

The first one looks like it has the potential to become a rotary supercollider...
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #14467 on: March 13, 2016, 01:44:39 AM »

Brain's spectacularly coherent thought from gaining this new information: "Ewwwwwww!"
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

saminiemi

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #14468 on: March 13, 2016, 01:56:05 AM »
Errr...

The only way to deal with that kind of nonsense is the Icelandic "is this not a jeep"-approach: take a shortcut through the middle. Remember to use an actual jeep or the magic might not work.
I have done that :)
The six connecting roundabouts were painted on a big open space and there was nothing but tarmac in the middle. It was middle of the night so I just drove straight through it.

Funny thing about those roundabouts is that you can go around it clockwise and anticlockwise.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #14469 on: March 13, 2016, 04:05:20 AM »
I'm sticking this on the general discussion thread because I figure it's most likely to be seen here:

I'm currently in the process of planning a SSSS fanfic about a Muslim family living in Mora a few years before the comic's set. I was just wondering if there are any Muslim members of the forum who might be willing to help me out with it? After all, internet resources are all well and good but first-hand experience is always going to be better!

You could also ask at Mini Church though so far none of Muslim faith has posted there. More chances you might have in Disqus comments. İ have muslim pupils and we are in a lot of exchange. Asside from that İ got a good glimps on how to practice your faith under crude conditions at the refugee's gym each day.

Spoiler: Storytime • show
One of the small Details İ noticed for example: A group of womnen always wearing hoodies in German class barely raising their heads. İt suddenly changed when the had decent cloth to cover their hair. Suddenly vivid translators between turkish, farsi sat in front of me.  pm me if you like ;)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #14470 on: March 13, 2016, 07:34:00 AM »
The first one looks like it has the potential to become a rotary supercollider...

I've been reading about it on wikipedia and apparently it is actually England's safest intersection — because it's scary and people go slow on it, resulting in basically 0 accident in its more than 40 years of existence. And apparently it distributes traffic really well.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14471 on: March 13, 2016, 07:54:39 AM »
I've been reading about it on wikipedia and apparently it is actually England's safest intersection — because it's scary and people go slow on it

If engineering was about applying generalised fear to make things work better I think I would be more interested in engineering.

Funny thing about those roundabouts is that you can go around it clockwise and anticlockwise.

Funny to whom...

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14472 on: March 13, 2016, 11:42:04 AM »
Well, that was an experience. :D I just came back from having an interview on cosplay for tv, along with two other cosplayers. I think it went ok-ish although at one point I totally froze, I had prepared for many questions but had entirely forgotten the most obvious one: since I'll be one of the judges in next summer's NCC, what are the things most important for me when I look at contestants? I somehow managed to stumble through that one too, and all in all it was quite fun. Now my face feels weird because I normally don't wear any make-up and a layer of it feels like I just spread a layer of paint on myself, ew.

Time to drown my sorrows in sushi methinks. And wash my face ASAP.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

IKEA

« Reply #14473 on: March 13, 2016, 12:52:16 PM »
Has anybody ever heard of the Voynich manuscript? I discovered it recently, it's an old medieval manuscript written in a completely unkown language.
Yale library: http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/collections/highlights/voynich-manuscript
New Yorker piece on the manuscript: http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-unread-the-mystery-of-the-voynich-manuscript

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14474 on: March 13, 2016, 12:59:21 PM »
Has anybody ever heard of the Voynich manuscript? I discovered it recently, it's an old medieval manuscript written in a completely unkown language.
At the risk of duplicating the information you linked to, the current theory is that it has not been written in an unknown language but "merely" is enciphered to a degree we could not crack so far. If it were a honest piece of plaintext literature, botanists would be very interested where the author found those plants he drew in the margins, as they do not match any known species.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15