Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410630 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1365 on: November 13, 2014, 12:03:12 AM »
Huh, bizarre O__O
I just got back from doing some fencing (fences, not the sport :P although that would be awesome) and me and my sister were standing in the back of the ute as we drove up this rely steep paddock, and the wheels were skidding because of all the grass :S we were sharing the tray with a whole bunch of barbed and regular wire too so if we fell backwards that would not have been pretty -___-
...We three decided to just walk back home down the hill.
And my gosh. I though frost and ice was slippy but long dry grass is just as BAD.
We took a shortcut through the abandoned nursery, which was fun :P

Did you and your sisters ever go "sledding" on a grassy hill with a flattened cardboard box? 
Your description reminds me of what my brothers and I used to do with the neighbor kids, whose house sprawled over a big chunk of hill.  (In hilly California, houses are often built into hills on stilts.  And with the Mediterranean-chaparral climate, the grass grows tall in the winter and then dries into hay by late spring.  Perfect for sliding.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1366 on: November 13, 2014, 12:09:50 AM »
Did you and your sisters ever go "sledding" on a grassy hill with a flattened cardboard box? 
Your description reminds me of what my brothers and I used to do with the neighbor kids, whose house sprawled over a big chunk of hill.  (In hilly California, houses are often built into hills on stilts.  And with the Mediterranean-chaparral climate, the grass grows tall in the winter and then dries into hay by late spring.  Perfect for sliding.)
We slid down it on raincoats once when it tried to snow? (Like, a WHOLE HALF-INCH OF SNOW wooooow!) but all the sticks shredded the coats, and our cousin hit a tree :/
We were brought up with "safety first" to the extreme, so all the cool dangerous stuff kids do wasn't allowed :/ like bike riding down the driveway (quite steep) going near the creeks and dams etc, which is understandable, they're pretty dangerous :P but fete rides were also not allowed? Haha
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1367 on: November 13, 2014, 12:14:18 AM »
Huh, bizarre O__O
I just got back from doing some fencing (fences, not the sport :P although that would be awesome) and me and my sister were standing in the back of the ute as we drove up this rely steep paddock, and the wheels were skidding because of all the grass :S we were sharing the tray with a whole bunch of barbed and regular wire too so if we fell backwards that would not have been pretty -___-
We were going up there to check on the excavator guy, who had slipped about 20m down the hill because the treads had no grip O_____O he's an old dude and he said "I thought to myself as we slid down 'I'm old, I've had a good life, but you're [the excavator] too young, girl!'" So while he and our dad were chatting about the inevitability of death, we three decided to just walk back home down the hill.
And my gosh. I though frost and ice was slippy but long dry grass is just as BAD.
We took a shortcut through the abandoned nursery, which was fun :P

(Oh, and I just started scribbling up the weird pond-dorm Eich :P I'll post it up later and see how accurate it was or wasn't haha)
Oh, gosh, that's scary.  I'm not a fan of barbed wire.  There's an insane asylum on the highway, a few minutes from my parents' house, and the fence is literally covered in barb wire.  It's pretty intimidating.  At least theirs is all shiny and new, the only experience I have with barbed wire has involved lots of rust and dirt and me staying far away from it cause I was little.

The people at work either talk about their kids, tv shows, or death.  It's weird how often it comes up.  Most of the times it's kids, though.  This one lady near my desk is always on the phone, and she says the funniest stuff.  Normal stuff, but I think she has ADD or something, because it comes out funny.  "I have a husband and three boys, plus the dog is a boy, and the cat is a boy.  I'm the queen."  She cracks me up, but I try not to laugh because it would look really bad, and she might stop saying funny things.

Yay, now I can go to sleep in peace.  Maybe I'll try out a making a schematic of it over the weekend.  That might be a fun project... dream blueprints.  Looking forward to seeing your rendition.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1368 on: November 13, 2014, 12:15:13 AM »
Do it.  Doooo iiiiit.  You're an adult now, right?  Cardboard-box sliding is probably very aerobic, and certainly good for the abs and legs. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1369 on: November 13, 2014, 12:22:31 AM »
Yay, now I can go to sleep in peace.  Maybe I'll try out a making a schematic of it over the weekend.  That might be a fun project... dream blueprints.  Looking forward to seeing your rendition.
It's pretty small, it hasn't got a kitchen or bathroom or anything :/ just beds and desks and the pond with a really terrible cat on a rock :P
I wasn't really sure if there were walls around the pond...so I put random bamboo walls X'D

Yeah! Do it! I wanna see how they compare hahah

Do it.  Doooo iiiiit.  You're an adult now, right?  Cardboard-box sliding is probably very aerobic, and certainly good for the abs and legs. 
It is the holidays....... >83

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1370 on: November 13, 2014, 12:41:18 AM »
Uh-huh, and it'll totally pacify your safety-conscious parents when you tell them some total stranger on the Internet, whose real name you don't even know, suggested you do it.  Totally.   8)

"Yes, Owl, but if Sunflower jumped off a bridge, would you too?"

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1371 on: November 13, 2014, 12:50:39 AM »

The people at work either talk about their kids, tv shows, or death.  It's weird how often it comes up.  Most of the times it's kids, though.  This one lady near my desk is always on the phone, and she says the funniest stuff.  Normal stuff, but I think she has ADD or something, because it comes out funny.  "I have a husband and three boys, plus the dog is a boy, and the cat is a boy.  I'm the queen."  She cracks me up, but I try not to laugh because it would look really bad, and she might stop saying funny things.

I have reached the age now where everyone is asking if I have finally decided on getting children. "You will come of age soon, be carefull now..." blabla. But I like it if they talk about their children, the talk is just so normal. Not like stuff we have to struggle with dayly.

But on another matter: Eich did you follow up rosettas landing at xkcd? 136 pannel of pure space adventure?
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1372 on: November 13, 2014, 12:56:24 AM »
Uh-huh, and it'll totally pacify your safety-conscious parents when you tell them some total stranger on the Internet, whose real name you don't even know, suggested you do it.  Totally.   8)

"Yes, Owl, but if Sunflower jumped off a bridge, would you too?"
"well, it'd take me a while to get to California...." :P (? California??)
Oh yes, that would go down a treat.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1373 on: November 13, 2014, 01:38:09 AM »
Oh, gosh, that's scary.  I'm not a fan of barbed wire.  There's an insane asylum on the highway, a few minutes from my parents' house, and the fence is literally covered in barb wire.  It's pretty intimidating.  At least theirs is all shiny and new, the only experience I have with barbed wire has involved lots of rust and dirt and me staying far away from it cause I was little.

Yow, that's pretty Gothic.  I went to Smith College, in western Massachusetts -- a lovely setting, except a state insane asylum was right on the other side of Paradise Pond.  It was a big Victorian brick pile on a low hill that looked really unnerving at twilight.  We occasionally heard the foghorn announcing that an inmate had escaped.

The people at work either talk about their kids, tv shows, or death.  It's weird how often it comes up. 

Further proof that Southern Gothic is not dead.  Beware if any of your co-workers begin talking about circus freaks or escaped serial killers...

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1374 on: November 13, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »
Guess who got four, whole fresh codfish from the zoology lab today. I invited someone over for dinner and I still have enough left over for tomorrow.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1375 on: November 13, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
Guess who got four, whole fresh codfish from the zoology lab today. I invited someone over for dinner and I still have enough left over for tomorrow.

Could I ask why the lab is giving away codfish? Did they no longer need them, or...? ???

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1376 on: November 13, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »
Could I ask why the lab is giving away codfish? Did they no longer need them, or...? ???

Maybe they're gene-modified cods and the lab is testing whether human consumption has any unpleasant effects.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1377 on: November 13, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »
Guess who finally remembered the origin of her internet nickname?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1378 on: November 13, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
Guess who finally remembered the origin of her internet nickname?
ThisCat? Piney? No wait... kex?
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1379 on: November 13, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »

We were dissecting them. They were quite tasty.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk: