Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2425269 times)

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1350 on: November 12, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »
My boyfriend was able to play league of legends on a stable connections, downloads are working fine and steam has no problems around here. Though I should mention that our biggist attraction is a post box and a sheep meadow. But those sheep are reaaaaaally cute.
Hmmm, tempting, truly tempting...
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1351 on: November 12, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »
Oh my gosh I have never met anyone who feels the same before will you be my friend forever?!

*reaches out a pale sun-deprived hand for a high-five*

Vampire athletes unite!

I have a wonky knee and feel nervous on surfaces or steep downhill slopes that might throw me)

Knees are the natural traitors of the human body. I ruined mine when I was still doing taekwondo so at times I'm pretty much running around with the sensation of an arrow in each knee.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1352 on: November 12, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
*Does not run*
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1353 on: November 12, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »
*Does not run*

Ah, someone to whom I can relate.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1354 on: November 12, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
*Does not run*

The weird thing is that I could never run as physical activity. I get tired after running 200 meters or so, and I'm always about to collapse after 800m. I'm also as slow as one can get. But when it comes to the mountains or any kind of open field? I can sprint for entire minutes before I collapse. When it comes to running up four stories just to get to my class? No problem, I can win any race. Running while knowing that I'm doing sport? No chance.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:16:58 PM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1355 on: November 12, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »
The weird thing is that I could never run as physical activity. I get tired after running 200 meters or so, and I'm always about to collapse after 800m. I'm also as slow as one can get. But when it comes to the mountains or any kind of open field? I can sprint for entire minutes, tens of minutes before I collapse. When it comes to running up four stories just to get to my class? No problem, I can win any race. Running while knowing that I'm doing sport? No chance.

Which is why I only do it for fun. No sporting for me!
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1356 on: November 12, 2014, 05:19:18 PM »
Running around in the evening/night is the best! It feels like you can move better, but in the sun everything's jolting and clunky. I used to go for walks/exploring around the perimeter of the property late into the evenings, until my mum read "The Lovely Bones" :/

Isn't running down hills kinda dangerous? Or am I just thinking of really steep hills...? I prefer to do a weird sideways skip-jump-leap-shuffle-bounce to get down slippery hills quickly without falling over (I'd rather fall backwards than fall forwards onto my face and roll down a bramble and cow poop-dotted hill into a creek ;__;)

The weird thing is that I could never run as physical activity. I get tired after running 200 meters or so, and I'm always about to collapse after 800m. I'm also as slow as one can get. But when it comes to the mountains or any kind of open field? I can sprint for entire minutes, tens of minutes before I collapse. When it comes to running up four stories just to get to my class? No problem, I can win any race. Running while knowing that I'm doing sport? No chance.
YES EXACTLY.
I can only run properly if I'm chasing something: cows, people, deadlines, hopes and dreams :P
Which is why I only do it for fun. No sporting for me!
Awesome!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1357 on: November 12, 2014, 05:38:09 PM »
Running around in the evening/night is the best! It feels like you can move better, but in the sun everything's jolting and clunky.

A new recruit to the league of vampire athletes! We dub thee... Nightowl.

Isn't running down hills kinda dangerous?

Nah.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1358 on: November 12, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »

Isn't running down hills kinda dangerous? Or am I just thinking of really steep hills...? I prefer to do a weird sideways skip-jump-leap-shuffle-bounce to get down slippery hills quickly without falling over (I'd rather fall backwards than fall forwards onto my face and roll down a bramble and cow poop-dotted hill into a creek ;__;)

I do run down steep hills, and it is indeed dangerous, but in my experience the faster you run, the less the risk of breaking your neck. Running is just the motion of falling, so you fall even faster, until you get to flat land again, I guess ???
Okay, I used to run down steep hills. The only one I could run down to get to the valley had a landslide and I risk my life just by slowly walking down while holding to the trees.

PS: At this hour of the night, grammar is not an option.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1359 on: November 12, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
I do run down steep hills, and it is indeed dangerous, but in my experience the faster you run, the less the risk of breaking your neck. Running is just the motion of falling, so you fall even faster, until you get to flat land again, I guess ???
Okay, I used to run down steep hills. The only one I could run down to get to the valley had a landslide and I risk my life just by slowly walking down while holding to the trees.

Hehe sounds exciting XP
But aren't you quite light? Gravity....gravity can suck sometimes...

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1360 on: November 12, 2014, 05:48:57 PM »

That remind's me of the story of our family's bike trip. Short before coming back home we had to drive down a mountain track, full of sand and stone and pebbles. My brother went down at full speed and nothing happened. At it was my turn, I panicked after a while of driving while hitting the brakes as hard as I could (I should mention I had a very old, rickety bike that day), thinking I was losing control (my family always telling me, at the same day at that, you're clumsy, don't drive too fast, especially down the mountains yadda yadda yadda - why was I listening to them again? - didn't help either), and jumped of my bike, pushing it into the other direction. Consequence of the whole thing: one bended bike and one abraded knee. And the embarrasment, that I was the only one that managed to hurt herself (and that bike). End of story.
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #1361 on: November 12, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »

*thinks about this far too much* Yes. Depending on the hill in question and the terrain. For short downhills and bad terrain I usually do the same side-to-side shuffle you do, but for long hills that's gonna either kill your knees or take too long. If you take it at a fast enough run then there shouldn't be enough time for the dirt or pebbles or whatever to shift, so you're okay if you don't mind feeling like you're careening wildly out of control. (Dunno if that works on ice-covered hills, not crazy enough to try that.) Just make sure there's enough room at the bottom of the hill to run out your momentum without running off a cliff or something.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1362 on: November 12, 2014, 08:25:53 PM »
The weird thing is that I could never run as physical activity. I get tired after running 200 meters or so, and I'm always about to collapse after 800m. I'm also as slow as one can get. But when it comes to the mountains or any kind of open field? I can sprint for entire minutes before I collapse. When it comes to running up four stories just to get to my class? No problem, I can win any race. Running while knowing that I'm doing sport? No chance.

My mom says the only reasonable time to run is when you're being chased by a monster.
And yet I still end up running at stupid times. Like when we went to one of those famous California coastal cities with a Spanish name I can never remember for vacation and I spent the whole time racing my siblings up all the hills. Or when I ran down the hallway at a house we were visiting in my socks and fell over when I tried to turn. I must have fallen gracefully because I hardly remember hitting the ground. Or the time I wanted to see if I could run in a pair of skis and ended up falling over backwards after tripping my brother.

Anyway, for the past two weeks it's been a fairly stable 54 degrees (F) almost 24/7. We woke up this morning and it was 25 degrees. It's coooold.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1363 on: November 12, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »
It'll get cold here tonight.  Not looking forward to tomorrow.

Today was weird.  Nothing really happened how I thought it would, when I started doing it.  Driving to work, thought I'd get there 5 minutes early, got there 5 minutes late, and also missed the turn into the site for the first time.  Working, thought I'd have a lot to do, had hardly anything to do all day.  Said hi to a couple of people and didn't get a response.  Meant to go to the store coming home from work, went right past it instead.  Also, my scrubby thing is broken, so I have to wash my dishes with my fingers, which is weird feeling to me.  But, hey, I did some laundry, I played some guitar, and I think I'll call it a day pretty soon.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1364 on: November 12, 2014, 11:57:28 PM »
It'll get cold here tonight.  Not looking forward to tomorrow.

Today was weird.  Nothing really happened how I thought it would, when I started doing it.  Driving to work, thought I'd get there 5 minutes early, got there 5 minutes late, and also missed the turn into the site for the first time.  Working, thought I'd have a lot to do, had hardly anything to do all day.  Said hi to a couple of people and didn't get a response.  Meant to go to the store coming home from work, went right past it instead.  Also, my scrubby thing is broken, so I have to wash my dishes with my fingers, which is weird feeling to me.  But, hey, I did some laundry, I played some guitar, and I think I'll call it a day pretty soon.
Huh, bizarre O__O
I just got back from doing some fencing (fences, not the sport :P although that would be awesome) and me and my sister were standing in the back of the ute as we drove up this rely steep paddock, and the wheels were skidding because of all the grass :S we were sharing the tray with a whole bunch of barbed and regular wire too so if we fell backwards that would not have been pretty -___-
We were going up there to check on the excavator guy, who had slipped about 20m down the hill because the treads had no grip O_____O he's an old dude and he said "I thought to myself as we slid down 'I'm old, I've had a good life, but you're [the excavator] too young, girl!'" So while he and our dad were chatting about the inevitability of death, we three decided to just walk back home down the hill.
And my gosh. I though frost and ice was slippy but long dry grass is just as BAD.
We took a shortcut through the abandoned nursery, which was fun :P

(Oh, and I just started scribbling up the weird pond-dorm Eich :P I'll post it up later and see how accurate it was or wasn't haha)