Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411012 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13995 on: February 17, 2016, 09:41:05 AM »
So does Róisín. We have a television, but half the time it glitches if I touch it, and there's not much to watch anyway. We sometimes watch videos or CDs, and I used to be able to do iView on the pad, but that doesn't work anymore. Sometime this week we plan to watch a documentary about cave art in France, and this evening we watched a video a friend took of a titan arum flower opening.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #13996 on: February 17, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »
I get the feeling that in the past few years, with the rise of things like Netflix and Amazon and the TV catch-up sites on the one hand and streaming sites on the other, the notion of 'watching TV' has pretty much become obsolete anyway. Whereas before you had to keep to the broadcaster's scedule, you can now watch pretty much what you want, when you want. (and on what you want as well, from a TV to your laptop to your phone)
Of course, this is from the perspective of someone born in the mid-90s and who's had a decent internet connection all his life - other people's experiences will vary wildly, I suppose.
I will say that while I don't watch many TV programmes any more, I do sort of miss that. There's good stuff out there, from documentaries to dramas and comedy, but I just don't seem to have the time these days.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13997 on: February 17, 2016, 10:10:21 AM »
I get the feeling that in the past few years, with the rise of things like Netflix and Amazon and the TV catch-up sites on the one hand and streaming sites on the other, the notion of 'watching TV' has pretty much become obsolete anyway.

Well, I guess. But all that still falls under "TV" to me. Maybe I should start saying "I don't do long serial video". ;p Same thing, different format.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #13998 on: February 17, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »
Well, I guess. But all that still falls under "TV" to me. Maybe I should start saying "I don't do long serial video". ;p Same thing, different format.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we need a new name for it or anything! It's just that whenever anyone says "watching TV" I think of people actually sitting down in front a telly at a certain time to catch a show each week, and I just end up wondering "do people actually do that anymore these days?"
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #13999 on: February 17, 2016, 11:02:50 AM »
I usually watch videos on my computer including shows that I could watch on TV. I mainly use the TV to watch the news.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Fenris

« Reply #14000 on: February 17, 2016, 11:45:47 AM »
I watch TV somewhat regularly. On Friday, there's "gullrekka" (two hours of so of various shows on NRK, although I mostly just see Nytt på Nytt, a satirical show about the news and maybe some of Beat for Beat and Skavlan, a music show and talk show respectively). Other than that, there's movies, usually with buddies or family. Shows and the like I mostly watch on computer though.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14001 on: February 17, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »
Meanwhile I'm just sitting here with weirdest nostalgia over the time when I actually scheduled my life according to what was on the television or at least made sure to video shows I would otherwise have missed. Man, that was a long time ago. I think I still have some videotapes somewhere...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14002 on: February 17, 2016, 11:58:15 AM »

Yeah, same with me. 

And it's not that there's not a lot of good stuff out there.  There's a lot of excellent stuff out there (based on the tastes of people I know and trust to have excellent taste).  I just find that, for me personally, the medium doesn't work.  I'd have the sound off and be playing my guitar or I'd have the sound on but be reading a book a the same time.

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14003 on: February 17, 2016, 12:12:56 PM »
Meanwhile I'm just sitting here with weirdest nostalgia over the time when I actually scheduled my life according to what was on the television or at least made sure to video shows I would otherwise have missed. Man, that was a long time ago. I think I still have some videotapes somewhere...

Oh yes, I remember those times. And if you forgot to record the show on videotapes, you missed your chance. :D
And the most popular shows were on Tuesdays and I barely saw a few episodes because I had folkdance rehearsals at that time.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14004 on: February 17, 2016, 12:21:45 PM »
Oh yes, I remember those times. And if you forgot to record the show on videotapes, you missed your chance. :D
And the most popular shows were on Tuesdays and I barely saw a few episodes because I had folkdance rehearsals at that time.

Oh yes, that was huge.  I think the last show I did that with seriously was Babylon 5.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14005 on: February 17, 2016, 12:35:37 PM »
on a different note: in most European countries it's World Cat Day today :3

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14006 on: February 17, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »
mom just told us a story of what happened in her art class today - they're doing calligraphy, and mom has made one of the assignments "write something in your own blood" as a joke. very few people do that one. except today, a guy got a nose bleed while reading that, so he......... did the best out of the situation, so to speak. everyone had to leave the room to avoid getting sick. he wrote "BLOOD" in big letters.
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14007 on: February 17, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
mom just told us a story of what happened in her art class today - they're doing calligraphy, and mom has made one of the assignments "write something in your own blood" as a joke. very few people do that one. except today, a guy got a nose bleed while reading that, so he......... did the best out of the situation, so to speak. everyone had to leave the room to avoid getting sick. he wrote "BLOOD" in big letters.

Well... he kinda deserves extra points for determination and resourcefulness. Still, ew. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14008 on: February 17, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
Seeing the blood-soaked paper, you are filled with DETERMINATION!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14009 on: February 17, 2016, 04:30:36 PM »

Norwegian calligraphy: write in YOUR OWN BLOOD.

Sounds legit.