Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387248 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13560 on: January 16, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »
Double-posting like a dork but WELP. Today turned out exactly as I imagined it would, the Icelandic public transport can kindly go [forum censored suggestions]. Buses running late and of course only twice an hour is nothing new but always so annoying. And then. AND THEN. I had to change buses at one point, no biggie, the bus I needed to get on was already waiting where it should be, meaning bus X was at bus X stop. Except turned out the number on it was wrong and it was actually going entirely different route, which I realized when it turned to a wrong direction... and of course the first place it stopped at was wayyyyy out in the suburbs. At this point I had already somewhat given up and decided to sit still and have an adventure instead, and it was actually entertaining to see where this bus route went to, never been to that part of Reykjavík before! After a long time snaking up and down random hills the bus by some weird strike of luck ended up very near to where I wanted to go to, although it did take me triple the time to get there. :D

It was all for naught though, the fabric type I tried to find apparently doesn't exist in Iceland.

/flashbacks to similar attempts with Canuck transit in small areas
Oyyyy. 'Adventure' is right.

What kind of thing were you looking for, anyhow?
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13561 on: January 16, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »

And more importantly if we find some can we bribe you to come visit us
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13562 on: January 16, 2016, 11:21:56 AM »

Wool fabric that would work for a Medieval style outfit. Wool I can find but it's usually either too fine to work or it's a viscose blend...

And more importantly if we find some can we bribe you to come visit us

Those sugar candies you sent me would be the thing, actually!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13563 on: January 16, 2016, 11:25:25 AM »
Those sugar candies you sent me would be the thing, actually!

Well they sell those literally on every street corner here and you can get huge boxes of them. They make giant tourist packs. Come visit meeeeeeeeee
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #13564 on: January 16, 2016, 06:45:26 PM »
We're in the middle of January, and I'm wondering where I could go (= outside of France) this summer.
*Look at her former self one year ago* Some things have changed :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13565 on: January 16, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »
Small thing that made my morning: how cold is it in Norway?
http://www.tv2.no/a/7936314
Unacceptable! That thing's almost ten minutes slow!
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13566 on: January 16, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »
Melúsine, you could visit Australia. Your summer is our winter, so the weather is better and the wildlife is less active. Accomodation at my place is just a swag, but there is a motel nearby, and B&Bs. It would be an adventure! And I think you would love my little town's recycling craft project.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #13567 on: January 16, 2016, 07:47:18 PM »
The forum's snow may have gone but good old mother nature seems to have provided a replacement. Snow here in Nottingham, although only a light dusting so far!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

« Reply #13568 on: January 17, 2016, 04:58:02 AM »
Melúsine, you could visit Australia. Your summer is our winter, so the weather is better and the wildlife is less active. Accomodation at my place is just a swag, but there is a motel nearby, and B&Bs. It would be an adventure! And I think you would love my little town's recycling craft project.
Awww, thank Róisín, but actually I have two "problems" : 1. I never took a plane so Australia is a HUGE travel, and above all 2. I'm unemployed so not really rich for a travel so far :-\ (3. I have no idea about what kind of job I'll find and if it will allow me to have vacations...)
Maybe I like the idea of doing something special, but for now I don't have a favorite idea about a place to go. Too many possibilities :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

« Reply #13569 on: January 17, 2016, 05:38:48 AM »
When I was in France I loved the area around Arles, and Perigord, and the Camargue - basically the places that had nature, and interesting ruins, and fresh food. Paris was okay, I loved the arts culture, poetry clubs, the museums and bookshops, the public gardens, the galleries, the markets and the people. My problem with Paris was the smell. There seemed to be nowhere completely free of the stink of sewers and drains. What's that like nowadays? One hopes that after all these years it's better, but on the other hand, I think Paris is a lot bigger now, so it may be even worse?

TicTac

• I am a happy little TicTac
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #13570 on: January 17, 2016, 06:26:30 AM »
I was in Paris for a few days in October last year, and I didn't notice a smell at all. But it was an amazing city. I went to see all the typical touristy things, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, it was amazing. There were a few stinky places, but it wasn't that bad for me. Not even the metro smelled that bad. Though it is possible my nose is broken, because I have a tendency to not smell things others are able to smell.
Fluent: :australia:
Know a few phrases: :china:
Know random words: :germany: :spain: (thanks Dora)
Want to learn, eventually: :finland:
Survived :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13571 on: January 17, 2016, 06:27:29 AM »
When I was in France I loved the area around Arles, and Perigord, and the Camargue - basically the places that had nature, and interesting ruins, and fresh food. Paris was okay, I loved the arts culture, poetry clubs, the museums and bookshops, the public gardens, the galleries, the markets and the people. My problem with Paris was the smell. There seemed to be nowhere completely free of the stink of sewers and drains. What's that like nowadays? One hopes that after all these years it's better, but on the other hand, I think Paris is a lot bigger now, so it may be even worse?
I didn't notice any weird smells on my recent visit, at least.
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Mélusine

« Reply #13572 on: January 17, 2016, 06:41:24 AM »
My problem with Paris was the smell. There seemed to be nowhere completely free of the stink of sewers and drains. What's that like nowadays? One hopes that after all these years it's better, but on the other hand, I think Paris is a lot bigger now, so it may be even worse?
I was in Paris for a few days in October last year, and I didn't notice a smell at all. (...) Not even the metro smelled that bad. Though it is possible my nose is broken, because I have a tendency to not smell things others are able to smell.
I didn't notice any weird smells on my recent visit, at least.
Róisín, welcome among the people who think that Paris has a bad smell, including the metro - which is probably the worst. Last summer, I spent one week elsewhere in France (mountain area, then South) and coming back to Paris had been a shock because of this smell :-\ I assume it's a big city's problem... and that people get accustomed to it. Some people.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:46:42 AM by Mélusine »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13573 on: January 17, 2016, 06:41:56 AM »

In general I haven't found Paris sewage-smelly, but the underground train system... uuuuuuugh. Ew. Gross. It's a beautiful city though, I've always loved being there.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

« Reply #13574 on: January 17, 2016, 06:56:33 AM »
I think part of the problem is that I'm cursed, or blessed, with a very good sense of smell. It has advantages, like the pleasures of food and flowers, and detriments, like trying to clean up cat vomit! I'm a serious-hobby perfumer. And back in the fifties and sixties, which is when I mostly visited Paris, the smell was a real problem. My senses were sharper then!