Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387389 times)

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13545 on: January 15, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
Things I have only JUST realized.

The Dane in our party is Mikkel Madsen.  There's a Danish actor named Mads Mikkelsen.

Now I have to see about all the other members of the team.
Hah, I saw that name the other day(can't remember where) and it made me awfully confused.
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #13546 on: January 15, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »
So, question..... how do you turn down a job offer? An offer I got a couple months ago didn't work out because of my availability (I'm not upset about it, don't worry), but now the same person is asking if I could help out with catalog design/printing/tradeshow design, etc, none of which I've had experience in in the slightest so I know I'd be an awful fit for the job (trust me) and I know they'd prefer someone who's done work in the field before. So yeah, I don't know what to say now.

First, it's TOTALLY OK to turn down a job.  Your being truthful is doing them a favor by moving them to someone who actually wants the job!  I've had to turn down lots of jobs where, say, a dimwitted recruiter didn't realize that just because I've written articles about databases doesn't make me a database *programmer.*

The specific wording depends on the actual situation.

1) If it's absolutely not something you could ever do or want to learn how to, then something like:  "Thanks for thinking of me, but that's really not in my wheelhouse [or whatever expression is natural for you]."  If they persist, then say, "Sorry, but I really need to focus on my studies this semester/ want to cultivate my skills in [this other area]/etc."
2) If you think you might be open to doing it, then follow Viola's advice.  Sometimes an offer like that can be serendipity.

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13547 on: January 15, 2016, 06:34:03 PM »

The Dane in our party is Mikkel Madsen.  There's a Danish actor named Mads Mikkelsen.

EVERY TIME I SEE THIS GUY'S NAME I GET REALLY CONFUSED FOR A SECOND OK
should this go in the addict thread?
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13548 on: January 15, 2016, 07:04:20 PM »
Say exactly that. Say you don't have experience in that area. Then see if they still want you to work for them. Who knows, they might be willing to teach you a bit.
First, it's TOTALLY OK to turn down a job.  Your being truthful is doing them a favor by moving them to someone who actually wants the job!  I've had to turn down lots of jobs where, say, a dimwitted recruiter didn't realize that just because I've written articles about databases doesn't make me a database *programmer.*

The specific wording depends on the actual situation.

1) If it's absolutely not something you could ever do or want to learn how to, then something like:  "Thanks for thinking of me, but that's really not in my wheelhouse [or whatever expression is natural for you]."  If they persist, then say, "Sorry, but I really need to focus on my studies this semester/ want to cultivate my skills in [this other area]/etc."
2) If you think you might be open to doing it, then follow Viola's advice.  Sometimes an offer like that can be serendipity.

Thank you both!!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #13549 on: January 15, 2016, 07:07:11 PM »

To be fair, looking up Mikkel Madsen and the third entry is like "Top 25 Mikkel Madsen profiles on LinkedIn''
So I have a feeling that Mikkel Madsen might not be particularly uncommon - nor an anagram of a famous actor.

Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13550 on: January 15, 2016, 07:12:49 PM »
To be fair, looking up Mikkel Madsen and the third entry is like "Top 25 Mikkel Madsen profiles on LinkedIn''
So I have a feeling that Mikkel Madsen might not be particularly uncommon - nor an anagram of a famous actor.

I remember Minna saying somewhere that the similarity wasn't on purpose.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Nietos

« Reply #13551 on: January 16, 2016, 01:23:26 AM »
Uh, can I ask for some advice for dealing with people? Apparently my ex has neglected to inform mutual friends that he dumped me in last April.

Spoiler: More info • show
So I dated this friend of mine for a bit over one and half years. We're the same age, started studying history in university roughly at the same time and we'd worked on multiple shared projects so there's quite an overlap in our circles of friends. Anyway, we broke up in April last year (he dumped me because we weren't compatible enough for the relationship to last) but stayed friends.
The problem is that there are multiple mutual-but-closer-to-him friends who apparently think we're still dating. This has come up a couple of times now with people seeing me at a party or something and asking me things like "Where's X?", "When's X coming?" or "Why isn't X here?". They expect me to have knowledge of his plans etc. in a way a boyfriend would, but an ex wouldn't.
I don't really know what to do in situations like that. It'd feel weird to say "We broke up almost a year ago" when they aren't directly saying anything about our relationship but it also feels weird to let them to continue believing we're still together. Since we never a social media couple, we lived separately, and the amount of drama was minimal, there wasn't any kind of a big public announcement of the break-up, it just happened. If rumours haven't reached everybody by this point, it's unlikely to happen any time soon so I can't rely on the information just magically spreading everywhere.

So what should I do? Halp?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13552 on: January 16, 2016, 03:46:36 AM »
Uh, can I ask for some advice for dealing with people? Apparently my ex has neglected to inform mutual friends that he dumped me in last April.

So I dated this friend of mine for a bit over one and half years. We're the same age, started studying history in university roughly at the same time and we'd worked on multiple shared projects so there's quite an overlap in our circles of friends. Anyway, we broke up in April last year (he dumped me because we weren't compatible enough for the relationship to last) but stayed friends.
The problem is that there are multiple mutual-but-closer-to-him friends who apparently think we're still dating. This has come up a couple of times now with people seeing me at a party or something and asking me things like "Where's X?", "When's X coming?" or "Why isn't X here?". They expect me to have knowledge of his plans etc. in a way a boyfriend would, but an ex wouldn't.
I don't really know what to do in situations like that. It'd feel weird to say "We broke up almost a year ago" when they aren't directly saying anything about our relationship but it also feels weird to let them to continue believing we're still together. Since we never a social media couple, we lived separately, and the amount of drama was minimal, there wasn't any kind of a big public announcement of the break-up, it just happened. If rumours haven't reached everybody by this point, it's unlikely to happen any time soon so I can't rely on the information just magically spreading everywhere.

Actually, just saying it as it is works best. It's awkward but you can get rid of some of that awkwardness simply by smiling about it and explaining that since neither of you uses social media that much this sort of thing happens, it's ok, no problem, and that you're still friends. Nothing dramatic happened during the breakup. Even though it's awkward at the moment it would feel worse for people to find out about it later on.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13553 on: January 16, 2016, 08:18:07 AM »
Double-posting like a dork but WELP. Today turned out exactly as I imagined it would, the Icelandic public transport can kindly go [forum censored suggestions]. Buses running late and of course only twice an hour is nothing new but always so annoying. And then. AND THEN. I had to change buses at one point, no biggie, the bus I needed to get on was already waiting where it should be, meaning bus X was at bus X stop. Except turned out the number on it was wrong and it was actually going entirely different route, which I realized when it turned to a wrong direction... and of course the first place it stopped at was wayyyyy out in the suburbs. At this point I had already somewhat given up and decided to sit still and have an adventure instead, and it was actually entertaining to see where this bus route went to, never been to that part of Reykjavík before! After a long time snaking up and down random hills the bus by some weird strike of luck ended up very near to where I wanted to go to, although it did take me triple the time to get there. :D

It was all for naught though, the fabric type I tried to find apparently doesn't exist in Iceland.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13554 on: January 16, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »

Be direct.  "We're not dating anymore, so I can't tell you."
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Q

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #13555 on: January 16, 2016, 10:27:28 AM »
Small thing that made my morning: how cold is it in Norway?

http://www.tv2.no/a/7936314
Fluent: :usa:
Conversational: :norway:
Forgot most of it and started over: :russia:
Maybe someday: :hungary: :japan: :finland: :iceland:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13556 on: January 16, 2016, 10:40:32 AM »

Hm, that's at least two sweaters weather.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13557 on: January 16, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. The forum snow is goooooooooone. *hyperventilates*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13558 on: January 16, 2016, 10:55:12 AM »
>have sore throat
>decide to check if we have any cough drops
>opens cupboard sees a bag, YAY, oh it's empty? no there's one left!
>unwraps cough drop and goes to throw away the bag and wrapper
>throws the bag and cough drop into the trash
>stands there holding just the wrapper

Spoiler: MFW • show
Pretentious? Moi?

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13559 on: January 16, 2016, 11:06:19 AM »

You might want to wear a hat.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: