Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387198 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12315 on: November 16, 2015, 11:36:09 PM »
He also mentioned making a film for Sigur Rós, and that caught my attention of course. ::))

WAIT WAIT WAIT. Please elaborate.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12316 on: November 16, 2015, 11:43:34 PM »
But more importantly, I brought aRTD to class, since we were told to bring in comics to talk about. I didn't go on an ad pitch for the comic, but that was really because I didn't need to because pretty much everyone was marveling over the book saying how pretty it was and everything. I left it on my desk and caught some people reading it while we were talking about other classmates' stuff. I think I did my job. 8)
YES GOOD WELL DONE
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12317 on: November 16, 2015, 11:47:37 PM »
WAIT WAIT WAIT. Please elaborate.

Hahaha, that's all he said. I looked it up though; he was part of the Valtari film experiment thing. (I'm not a fan of the video but it's cool that he participated. Wait - does this mean I'm now two degrees from Sigur Rós? :o)

8 ) You did a wonder thing, there. Excellent job. Eeeeeee. Totally not surprised that the book would basically pitch itself.
YES GOOD WELL DONE

8) I'm also still writing that research paper on aRTD too. *tries to think of a pun on 'missionary' with 'aRTD' but can't*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #12318 on: November 16, 2015, 11:55:21 PM »
Hahaha, that's all he said. I looked it up though; he was part of the Valtari film experiment thing. (I'm not a fan of the video but it's cool that he participated. Wait - does this mean I'm now two degrees from Sigur Rós? :o)

Ohhhh I remember this! Some of the videos are really cool and some of them are really strange. But I mean it's sigur rós, what isn't strange :P

also also I talked to Jónsi's sister... and I know the people he went to elementary school with
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #12319 on: November 17, 2015, 12:29:41 AM »
On my way to work there was a bug in my hair and I touched it and UGH!
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12320 on: November 17, 2015, 03:10:33 AM »
Today I wondered into the shop in the city, and saw this really cute dress. I don't usually do dresses, but I liked this one. It was dark green-black with dark floral patterns and roses and stuff. It was sensible and nice. I liked.
And, there was one in my size!!!!!! Which is a miracle because some brands don't make stuff that big <_<
So I go try it on. It fits. It's really nice. I've got the back zip nearly done up and then it won't budge. It refuses to zip.
TURNS OUT, EVERYTHING ELSE FITS BUT NOT MY chest. I just. Why. Whyyyyyyyy. I had so much hope.
Spoiler: show

This is me trying on a lolita fashion dress that's supposedly my size, either it's the waist, bust or both that don't fit anyway. :D I tend to solve the "problem" by wearing a binder shirt (and other shaping underwear) if I have to, I have one for cosplay and when it comes to lolita my look is so artificial in any case that it's not even funny. Examples of Laufey squeezing into too small dresses in the cut.

I would never fit that Innocent World skirt without a tight-lacing corset (a real-deal one made to measure, more comfortable and safer to use than off the rack corsets). Also that's only about 1/3 my own hair, the rest is clip-on extensions.

A binder - Mary Magdalene is a wonderful brand but they really don't seem to think women should have a chest...

A combo of a waist cincher and a binder. This set is actually made by me but that was a long time and ten kilos ago. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12321 on: November 17, 2015, 04:22:29 AM »
This is me trying on a lolita fashion dress that's supposedly my size, either it's the waist, bust or both that don't fit anyway. :D I tend to solve the "problem" by wearing a binder shirt (and other shaping underwear) if I have to, I have one for cosplay and when it comes to lolita my look is so artificial in any case that it's not even funny. Examples of Laufey squeezing into too small dresses in the cut.

I would never fit that Innocent World skirt without a tight-lacing corset (a real-deal one made to measure, more comfortable and safer to use than off the rack corsets). Also that's only about 1/3 my own hair, the rest is clip-on extensions.

A binder - Mary Magdalene is a wonderful brand but they really don't seem to think women should have a chest...

A combo of a waist cincher and a binder. This set is actually made by me but that was a long time and ten kilos ago. :D

Cute clothes! Hmmmm I've thought about looking into those slimwear things but I don't think that would work for this particular problem, and I don't think it's that big of a problem to have togo out and buy extra stuff just for the one dress I could possibly own and then never wear XD ahhh

This was the dress ;_____; I guess...given the model they have it on, I shouldn't have really been surprised that it didn't fit. 8__8
http://shop.dangerfield.com.au/girls/clothing/princess-highway/dresses/lily-dress-season-ss15-from-78-00.html
Hmmm it says that have "my size" (the next size up from the dress I tried on today) but...agh I don't think I'm allowed to do internet shopping, and what if it's too big or what if it looks bad and I didn't notice or aghhhhh this is why I don't do dresses. Too much stress. Plus, I have  no moneyyyyyyyyy well I probably do but then I wouldn't have anyyyyyyyy
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #12322 on: November 17, 2015, 06:35:51 AM »
Congrats on new hairstyle, Curry, you look super-cute! You've got such an expressive face.
And Aaa we've been 3 minnions in Oslo without managing a meetup? (and I missed last time Fenris and Haiz were in Oslo too, nooo). I want less to do at work!

And I bumped my car today. Noone hurt except my pride, my bumper and the bumper on the car in front of me. And it was all my fault, no sneaking away from that, (4 hours of sleep at work probably didn't help though) so the paperwork was resolved on the spot without too much fuss. Ughh now I need to drive to the other side of town to get my car fixed. It was a mistake to put away the bike, never mind that I fell of and bruised my thigh last week.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12323 on: November 17, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »
OrigamiOwl - Maybe the store you were at would order the correct size for you, since it's something they already carry? A lot of places wouldn't, but some do... might be worth a try?

Laufey - Siiiiiigh I love your clothes. : D

Unlos - Ack, too bad about the car, at least there isn't any damage. Maybe a mistake to put away the bike, but - isn't it getting a bit chilly for that?
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Fenris

« Reply #12324 on: November 17, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »
Congrats on new hairstyle, Curry, you look super-cute! You've got such an expressive face.
And Aaa we've been 3 minnions in Oslo without managing a meetup? (and I missed last time Fenris and Haiz were in Oslo too, nooo). I want less to do at work!

And I bumped my car today. Noone hurt except my pride, my bumper and the bumper on the car in front of me. And it was all my fault, no sneaking away from that, (4 hours of sleep at work probably didn't help though) so the paperwork was resolved on the spot without too much fuss. Ughh now I need to drive to the other side of town to get my car fixed. It was a mistake to put away the bike, never mind that I fell of and bruised my thigh last week.
Yeah, although this time I wouldn't really have had time to meet up. We could probably organize a norwegian meet-up in Oslo at some point quite easily, though.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12325 on: November 17, 2015, 12:50:52 PM »
Unlos: people who bump into other people's cars high five!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #12326 on: November 17, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
Unlos - Ack, too bad about the car, at least there isn't any damage. Maybe a mistake to put away the bike, but - isn't it getting a bit chilly for that?
Yep, to go biking now involves several layers of clothing and I'm not sure I'm up for riding the bike in winter.
Unlos: people who bump into other people's cars high five!
Thank you, Lafey! I feel better now, and have fixed an appointment for the car next week. But that sinking feeling of crushing sudden stop will burn my insides if I think too much about it, I hope this was the one and only time!
Yeah, although this time I wouldn't really have had time to meet up. We could probably organize a norwegian meet-up in Oslo at some point quite easily, though.
I hope so!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #12327 on: November 17, 2015, 02:29:56 PM »
I feel better now, and have fixed an appointment for the car next week. But that sinking feeling of crushing sudden stop will burn my insides if I think too much about it, I hope this was the one and only time!I hope so!

I once backed into my uncle's rental car. In the driveway.  ::)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12328 on: November 17, 2015, 05:33:07 PM »
Fenris: harking back to the city vs rural debate of a few pages back: Walhalla and Giles sound more your speed, or Comet. Comet is in outback Queensland, and is so named because it was founded in the year of the last-but-one pass of Halley's comet (1906 or thereabouts? I don't remember.) It had one building, back when I lived nearby at Tomahawk Creek.

Walhalla is an East Gippsland ghost town; population when I lived there was 17, scattered over what used to be a largish town and its suburbs. And it was paradise, I loved living there. Place didn't even get electricity until many years after I had to leave.

Giles is out in the desert near the SA/WA border, and is the most isolated community in Australia. Population back when I spent most time there was 5, I think it's now 3. Also a paradise. I never actually had a home at Giles, but based out of there for several periods of a few months each when I was working in the nearby desert. Had a friend who lived there for many years, working at the weather station there for six months of each year before going off to his summer job of cook on an Antarctic base. Yes, he was a bit of a hermit! It was great for him because his serious hobby was cartography, and at the time a lot of the country around Giles was completely unmapped.

That thing where everybody in a small town knows your business: my husband reckons the way to tell natural city people from natural bushies is how they react to that. Natural city people recoil in horror from the idea of everybody knowing everything about them, people designed to live in tiny villages think it's great.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12329 on: November 17, 2015, 06:11:45 PM »
That thing where everybody in a small town knows your business: my husband reckons the way to tell natural city people from natural bushies is how they react to that. Natural city people recoil in horror from the idea of everybody knowing everything about them, people designed to live in tiny villages think it's great.

Sounds like I'm a city person, by that measure. ; ) Can't stand people sticking their nose in my beeswax, even my own family.

Now, business up north - GAHHH it's snowing like heck here (like, really coming down) and it seems like everyone in the city forgot how to drive. Getting home today will be... interesting.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge