Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387859 times)

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1125 on: November 07, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
Guys, is it weird that I apologize to toys lying on the ground because I don't want them coming after me Toy Story-style?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1126 on: November 07, 2014, 05:52:11 PM »

My last job was at a plant nursery.  It's just a place for plants to grow.  I only learned that after I left, strangely.  But, yeah, we didn't even have trees, except when we were selling Christmas trees for the holidays.  We mostly just had flowers and dirt and boiled peanuts. 
My boss there was awesome.  He was a total hippie with shoulder length hair, listened to everything from Zeppelin to traditional bagpipe songs, and had a very suspiciously shaped leaf on his business card.

Boiled peanuts!  I know that's a Southern treat (though one I've never tried).  Why sell them at a nursery?  Are they local?  Seasonal?

Also, is your former boss a fan of reviving the traditional Southern crop of hemp?  (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...)  (Actually, I gather that might happen.  Now that several U.S. states allow growing and possessing really high-powered cannabis strains, what's the harm of growing the old, low-power variety for its fiber, seeds, etc.?)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1127 on: November 07, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »
I talk to spiders I see, but it's mainly swearing at them for startling me and telling them exactly what I think of them, which is usually unpleasant :P I don't mind little jumping spiders though, those guys are bros. It's the giant bloody house spiders I don't like.

The main reason I don't like spiders is because I've been bit by one and it really, REALLY hurts. With a bee or wasp sting you can put vinegar/bicarbonate of soda on the sting to neutralise it. You can't with spider venom. Plus the venom is designed to dissolve the flesh of its prey, which is exactly what it's doing to the cells around the bite mark! Hurts for days and there's nothing you can do about it, arrgh. Bloody spiders.

Little bro spiders are cute :3 if I see a 'money' or garden spider, I'll say "Sup" or "Howdy, had a good day?" "Have you had lunch yet?" Etc XP
But I agree with the big black spiders, unless they just walk away we'll have a stare off of mortal enemies, rolling tumbleweed included, and then if they still don't leave...... *makes 'squish' motion with hands* ;P

I've never been bitten by a spider O____O *touches wood* and I hope to never find out how that feeeeeels......
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1128 on: November 07, 2014, 06:04:53 PM »
The main reason I don't like spiders is because I've been bit by one and it really, REALLY hurts. With a bee or wasp sting you can put vinegar/bicarbonate of soda on the sting to neutralise it. You can't with spider venom. Plus the venom is designed to dissolve the flesh of its prey, which is exactly what it's doing to the cells around the bite mark! Hurts for days and there's nothing you can do about it, arrgh. Bloody spiders.
What kind of dangerous beasts are lurking over there across the sea? Seriously, there aren't much venomous spiders in Germany, if it would be otherwise, maybe I would think different... Or maybe not. Maybe there would be overall more respect, but I nipped any fright that might come with spiders in the bud with that one guy's pet tarantula. That one was quite nice to us children.
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1129 on: November 07, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »
Boiled peanuts!  I know that's a Southern treat (though one I've never tried).  Why sell them at a nursery?  Are they local?  Seasonal?

Also, is your former boss a fan of reviving the traditional Southern crop of hemp?  (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...)  (Actually, I gather that might happen.  Now that several U.S. states allow growing and possessing really high-powered cannabis strains, what's the harm of growing the old, low-power variety for its fiber, seeds, etc.?)
They're one of the few things I like that I know lots of people won't like.  I eat them like candy, whenever I can get my hands on them.  We sold them there to make some extra money, and cause they made the place smell nice (nice = hot and salty).  I don't know if they're local or not, but they're absolutely everywhere in the summer.  The street vendors, in particular, make them really good.  One guy in Pavilion that my dad knows... he makes them better than anyone.

I'm just waiting for them to legalize weed in South Carolina.  It's not like it's bad or anything, alcohol is certainly much worse.  I've never had it before, just because I've never really wanted to try it, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it occasionally if it were legal.  As for my former boss's habits... well, whatever he did in his free time was up to him.  0:)

I've never been bitten by a spider O____O *touches wood* and I hope to never find out how that feeeeeels......
The reaction depends on what kind of spider bites you.  I've never had a days-long pain before, but they are pretty nasty. 
Also, my car was spider free today!

Also, General Discussion:  I forgot to post this earlier.  Today, when I was brushing my teeth, my hand slipped and I put a knick in that thing between my tongue and the floor of my mouth.  It tasted like blood for a little bit, and I was upset about it cause it hurt, ect.  Then I realized... I had an iron-y taste in my mouth.  *PUN-SPLOSION*  I've never been so happy from such a stupid pun in my entire life, and it made everything better, haha.
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1130 on: November 07, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I think I just got confused by the term "abandoned" ;). Literally our woold nurseries are translated as "tree schools" :D.

Would that be... "Baumschulen"? I'm guessing! Yay!

Is it weird to talk to any spider I see? (Granted, I talk to many things.)

Are you asking if it's weird to talk to spiders or just to talk to things in general? Because I sing at things. My mom thinks I see my life as an opera.

This morning for instance, I addressed my feet in a song about how I needed to go brush my teeth.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1131 on: November 07, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »
Would that be... "Baumschulen"? I'm guessing! Yay!

Are you asking if it's weird to talk to spiders or just to talk to things in general? Because I sing at things. My mom thinks I see my life as an opera.

This morning for instance, I addressed my feet in a song about how I needed to go brush my teeth.
1) It is "Baumschulen". Yay for you!
2) I was asking about talking to spiders because most people tend to see them as gross and frightening. Talking (or singing) to things doesn't seem weird. To me. After all, what is not weird on this planet?
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1132 on: November 07, 2014, 08:50:42 PM »
1) It is "Baumschulen". Yay for you!
2) I was asking about talking to spiders because most people tend to see them as gross and frightening. Talking (or singing) to things doesn't seem weird. To me. After all, what is not weird on this planet?

Exactly. It's weird if it's not weird. I wish people would understand that.
I think finding something gross and frightening is all the more reason to talk or sing at it. If I were to suddenly come across a spider I might go:

You're big
You're scary
You're mighty hairy
Just hangin' on your sticky spider web!

My brother saw you!
His name is _____!
He kinda hates you!
What do you think?

You're on my dog!
Right on her nose!
She doesn't notice!
You've gotta go!
Not hangin' on your sticky spider web!

You're big
You're scary
You're mighty hairy
Just lookin' but a little bit dead!

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1133 on: November 07, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »
I think finding something gross and frightening is all the more reason to talk or sing at it. If I were to suddenly come across a spider I might go:

You're big
You're scary
You're mighty hairy

My brother saw you!
His name is _____!
He kinda hates you!
What do you think?

You're on my dog!
Right on her nose!
She doesn't notice!
You've gotta go!
Not hangin' on your sticky spider web!

You're big
You're scary
You're mighty hairy
Just lookin' but a little bit dead!

Imagine Elvis Presley singing this.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1134 on: November 08, 2014, 12:53:46 AM »

Woohoo, lyrics!
Sounds like something my oldest sister would do.  She'd come back from school and practically punch her way through the door before bursting into songs about practically anything.  She's one of those "energetic" people.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1135 on: November 08, 2014, 03:19:37 AM »
Sounds like something my oldest sister would do.  She'd come back from school and practically punch her way through the door before bursting into songs about practically anything.  She's one of those "energetic" people.

In my mind's eye, your oldest sister is now Sigrun Eidech O____O and very awesome.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1136 on: November 08, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »

I used to do that all the time, because our last cat always came running when someone started singing. I usually don't like to sing while anyone can hear, though.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1137 on: November 08, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »
In my mind's eye, your oldest sister is now Sigrun Eidech O____O and very awesome.
She kind of can be Sigrun-esque, actually.  She's just... in a smaller, shorter, psychologist-shaped package, instead of a tall, troll-slayer shaped one.

I used to do that all the time, because our last cat always came running when someone started singing. I usually don't like to sing while anyone can hear, though.
Aw, that cat sounds adorable, haha.  She must have really liked y'all!  My cat comes over when... well, I don't really know how to describe the motion but, flex my fingers?  He knows he can get a chin scratch when he sees it, cause it's the chin scratch motion.
Feel free to PM.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1138 on: November 08, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »

Actually, I gather that might happen.  Now that several U.S. states allow growing and possessing really high-powered cannabis strains, what's the harm of growing the old, low-power variety for its fiber, seeds, etc.?

I would prefer if they grew the old crops. Some fellow students as well as classmates managed to ruin their life by only consuming modern weed. The high powered strains might serve a good purpose for people suffering heavy pain due to illnesses like cancer, but as far as I know the main customers just like getting high for some time.

But your voice is really nice
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1139 on: November 08, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
But your voice is really nice