Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409197 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1110 on: November 07, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »
;D

Insert ThisCat's Spider here!

you nearly made me miss my bus. I have to take a closer look at this one, when I come home. Nice!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:29:12 AM by kex »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1111 on: November 07, 2014, 01:40:38 AM »
Hmm, I think I have a hard time with it because of my sisters.  They... *sigh*  elder influences like that are powerful.  They, of course, got it from my mom.  The biggest reason for my dislike of creepy crawlies in general was the cockroach that crawled in my pajamas at a young age.  That was quite unpleasant.

Out of curiosity, what do you feed it?
I feel for you...having a bug in your clothes is the worst. One time I had to sit absolutely still for half an hour because a hornet was crawling around in my shorts.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #1112 on: November 07, 2014, 02:45:43 AM »
I had a big spider once inside my moskito net, right above my head when I awoke. I was too scared to move and afraid it might fall into my mouth if I screamed, so I just lay there frozen in terror until my mom arrived to "wake me up" and took care of the beast. That's why I still don't like to sleep under moskito nets any more...
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1113 on: November 07, 2014, 03:26:53 AM »
;D

Hnnnnope. When you said you had a pet spider I assumed you had just kidnapped a tiny one from your windowsill or something.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1114 on: November 07, 2014, 04:38:26 AM »
Aaaaaaaah I had a worrisome afternoon. *old lady voice* gather 'round the fire, and I'll tell yer an incredibly long and boring tale~

One of our cats vanished into thin air for hours, so me and my sister spent about four hours under the murderous sun calling out for this cat, Lalli-style. The other sister didn't want to help because she was practicing for her audition >:(
We searched the whole orchard, the hay field, and the abandoned tree nursery. I waded through the bog and poked my head into the underground creek, braved a bull, walked a mile down the road past the scary-swede's house, and was nearly run over by a man on his drug run. My sister snuck through the neighbors yards and searched the machinery shed. We were both forced to eat frozen cream puffs at our grandparents house after searching their garden. And then we dragged our feet all the way back home, catless.
We checked the house again, and I was told that it was all my fault. It wasn't. But I still felt bad.
After a while, mum came home and we told her that her cat was gone. Most likely dead. We listed all the ways she could have been killed today: car, cow, poison, heat, harrier, drowning, neighbour etc
And she looked at us, put on her boots and drove straight down to our great aunty's house, and walked over to their tractor shed.
And walked out with our cat.
Like. WHAT. How did she KNOW?
Turns out, our great aunty's cat, Rat, had cornered her in the shed all day. And she looked as sorry for herself as a kitty could. She'd tried to go on an adventure and ended up getting catnapped by a barn cat X'D she's such a loser of a cat.
A fluffy adorable loser for whom I am now terribly sunburnt..... Ù___Ú

The end *shoves all the marshmallows into her mouth and shuffles away*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1115 on: November 07, 2014, 04:42:57 AM »
Aaaaaaaah I had a worrisome afternoon. *old lady voice* gather 'round the fire, and I'll tell yer an incredibly long and boring tale~

One of our cats vanished into thin air for hours, so me and my sister spent about four hours under the murderous sun calling out for this cat, Lalli-style. The other sister didn't want to help because she was practicing for her audition >:(
We searched the whole orchard, the hay field, and the abandoned tree nursery. I waded through the bog and poked my head into the underground creek, braved a bull, walked a mile down the road past the scary-swede's house, and was nearly run over by a man on his drug run. My sister snuck through the neighbors yards and searched the machinery shed. We were both forced to eat frozen cream puffs at our grandparents house after searching their garden. And then we dragged our feet all the way back home, catless.
We checked the house again, and I was told that it was all my fault. It wasn't. But I still felt bad.
After a while, mum came home and we told her that her cat was gone. Most likely dead. We listed all the ways she could have been killed today: car, cow, poison, heat, harrier, drowning, neighbour etc
And she looked at us, put on her boots and drove straight down to our great aunty's house, and walked over to their tractor shed.
And walked out with our cat.
Like. WHAT. How did she KNOW?
Turns out, our great aunty's cat, Rat, had cornered her in the shed all day. And she looked as sorry for herself as a kitty could. She'd tried to go on an adventure and ended up getting catnapped by a barn cat X'D she's such a loser of a cat.

I'm picturing both the cat and you as the indiegogo-stretch-goal-kitty, except you are both heading in opposite directions and encountering very different predicaments along your stippled-line route.

Also, darn, didn't notice until now how many new members this forum has been getting as of late.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1116 on: November 07, 2014, 04:59:09 AM »
I'm picturing both the cat and you as the indiegogo-stretch-goal-kitty, except you are both heading in opposite directions and encountering very different predicaments along your stippled-line route.

Also, darn, didn't notice until now how many new members this forum has been getting as of late.

Haha except...there was no money urging us on ;P only love~ X'D

I know! It's cool! :3

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1117 on: November 07, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
Haha except...there was no money urging us on ;P only love~ X'D

I know! It's cool! :3

Our former cats all were great at getting into this kind of adventure. What is an aboandoned tree nursery? I know farms where they take care of animals too old for economical use (uargh, that sounds pretty nasty), but none of them takes trees *looksconfused*

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1118 on: November 07, 2014, 10:51:30 AM »
Hnnnnope. When you said you had a pet spider I assumed you had just kidnapped a tiny one from your windowsill or something.

I used to do that a lot, but after my last one died I decided it was about time to get myself something proper.

{Insert long and cat-related tale here.}

At least you can say you've had an adventure. Our cat got lost for four weeks once. Turned out he'd wandered into a neighbour's cellar, who had then gone on vacation. He was never really the same again.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1119 on: November 07, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
Is it weird to talk to any spider I see? (Granted, I talk to many things.)

My grandparent's cat, a shy but independent individual, got herself locked in a garage while they were on vacation. She did a miracle and survived the horror for who knows how many days, until my gram contacted the owner of said garage once they where back.
Later that year she got in a fight and nearly lost her nose... It was the second to last year of her life, in the next year she died due to being an old cat of thirteen(?) years. We were almost at the same age, I was born in winter and she in spring of the same year. Ah, may she rest in peace.
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1120 on: November 07, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »
Awww, is this the cat whose tail you French-braided?  Or her sister?  Either way, aw, poor fluffy helpless kitty!  (I'm sure Our Crew's future red-and-white kitty will be equally fluffy and helpless, judging by its tongue-hanging-out portraits in Minna's Indiegogo materials.)

We searched the whole orchard, the hay field, and the abandoned tree nursery. I waded through the bog and poked my head into the underground creek, braved a bull, walked a mile down the road past the scary-swede's house, and was nearly run over by a man on his drug run. My sister snuck through the neighbors yards and searched the machinery shed.

My goodness, you Australians really ARE badass.  Fierce bulls, druggies, an underground creek (I'm quivering from claustrophobia just at the thought), and a scary Swede!  Did you bring the jam-machete?

We were both forced to eat frozen cream puffs at our grandparents house after searching their garden. And then we dragged our feet all the way back home, catless.

After a while, mum came home and we told her that her cat was gone. Most likely dead. We listed all the ways she could have been killed today: car, cow, poison, heat, harrier, drowning, neighbour, etc

Rat sounds like Nanny Ogg's cat in the Discworld books!  Does it only love your great-aunt and want to kill everyone else? 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1121 on: November 07, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
Our former cats all were great at getting into this kind of adventure. What is an aboandoned tree nursery? I know farms where they take care of animals too old for economical use (uargh, that sounds pretty nasty), but none of them takes trees *looksconfused*
Oh! It's just a big block of baby trees :3 and I think we call plant shops Nurseries here, because they house young plants like a child's nursery....? Hmmm I had to think about this too long too early in the morning and now my brain is mush XD
The block of baby trees was decimated by wallabies before we could rebuild the fence, so all the trees are ruined and overgrown with weeds and thistles nearly taller than me ;__; before it was a nursery it had big old trees and was my favorite place to sit work or relax, but alas....

Awww, is this the cat whose tail you French-braided?  Or her sister?  Either way, aw, poor fluffy helpless kitty!  (I'm sure Our Crew's future red-and-white kitty will be equally fluffy and helpless, judging by its tongue-hanging-out portraits in Minna's Indiegogo materials.)

My goodness, you Australians really ARE badass.  Fierce bulls, druggies, an underground creek (I'm quivering from claustrophobia just at the thought), and a scary Swede!  Did you bring the jam-machete?

Rat sounds like Nanny Ogg's cat in the Discworld books!  Does it only love your great-aunt and want to kill everyone else? 

Yeah, it's the braid cat X'D
I get claustrophobic, but I'm too intrigued by the creepiness of the creek to actually get scared of it.... Mostly because I'm way to big to fit in there....i think.... I hope. I don't know how deep it actually is, but if it's anything like the scary mud-quicksand-bog then... *shudders*

And Rat hates everyone and everything, she's not fussy ;3
Hahaha I wonder what her opinion is of our cats X'D haha oh no
Rat: *watches white fluffy emil-cat edge around dirt and obsessively clean in disgust* You are a disgrace to feline kiiiiiiiiiiiiind!!!! Foour hours in solitary!!!!!!!!
Dolly: Excuse me? I say! What? How dare you, peasant!! It's too dirty in here! Help! *cries*
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:43:42 PM by OrigamiOwl »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1122 on: November 07, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
Yep!  Minna's tree brought in a lot of new faces.  That awesome little sleepy-cat button she made to the forum is working!

Oh! It's just a big block of baby trees :3 and I think we call plant shops Nurseries here, because they house young plants like a child's nursery....? Hmmm I had to think about this too long too early in the morning and now my brain is mush XD
The block of baby trees was decimated by wallabies before we could rebuild the fence, so all the trees are ruined and overgrown with weeds and thistles nearly taller than me ;__; before it was a nursery it had big old trees and was my favorite place to sit work or relax, but alas....
My last job was at a plant nursery.  It's just a place for plants to grow.  I only learned that after I left, strangely.  But, yeah, we didn't even have trees, except when we were selling Christmas trees for the holidays.  We mostly just had flowers and dirt and boiled peanuts. 
My boss there was awesome.  He was a total hippie with shoulder length hair, listened to everything from Zeppelin to traditional bagpipe songs, and had a very suspiciously shaped leaf on his business card. 
Feel free to PM.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1123 on: November 07, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
I think I just got confused by the term "abandoned" ;). Literally our woold nurseries are translated as "tree schools" :D. We have a lot of those nurseries in the area I'm living in. of all different sorts. One even has a geo-cache nearby and if you go to the adjoining website you learn a lot about "Kiri"-trees.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Raya

« Reply #1124 on: November 07, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »
Is it weird to talk to any spider I see? (Granted, I talk to many things.)

I talk to spiders I see, but it's mainly swearing at them for startling me and telling them exactly what I think of them, which is usually unpleasant :P I don't mind little jumping spiders though, those guys are bros. It's the giant bloody house spiders I don't like.

The main reason I don't like spiders is because I've been bit by one and it really, REALLY hurts. With a bee or wasp sting you can put vinegar/bicarbonate of soda on the sting to neutralise it. You can't with spider venom. Plus the venom is designed to dissolve the flesh of its prey, which is exactly what it's doing to the cells around the bite mark! Hurts for days and there's nothing you can do about it, arrgh. Bloody spiders.