Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387878 times)

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11505 on: October 16, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »
Thank you for all your good wishes! :)
My family and I are well, thank God. One of the perks of living on the 7th floor of a building that stands on a hill...
The people who were affected were the ones who live near the river and/or in one floor houses. There's a lot of donation campaings going on right now to help them.
The good thing is that the sun appeared again, so the clean up will be easier.

I still don't have my wifi back, but that helped me focus and do some chores around the house.

Red: I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences for you and your family. :(*hugs*
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11506 on: October 16, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »
(A possible topic might be something like "The Role of Linguistics in SSSS.") :puppydogeyes:

There was a thread about 'language barriers as a story-telling device' here once. Tricky topic, but interesting. Maybe you can have it as a section in a larger essay on SSSS-linguistics.

Ohhhhhhhh..
Why don't they measure by word count? Is that an American thing or? :O

Usually essays are measured through word counting, but I've had both counting methods in a single course.

I see you, Laufey, your avatar had changed ;)

Sassy.

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11507 on: October 16, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »
Sassy.

*don't know if "sassy" or "suggestive"*
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11508 on: October 16, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »
*don't know if "sassy" or "suggestive"*

Mm, I do wonder who she's talking to~

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11509 on: October 16, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »
It's that time of the year when I turn my room into a Drawing Dungeon and surround myself with reference pictures and art supplies - calendar project time. I take my calendar making tradition more seriously than my academic carreer... which is honestly not saying much. but yeah.

the theme is unicorns and i'm trying not to spoil too much but i'm really excited about it
Spoiler: sneaky preview of progress so far • show

i think maybe i ruined the lava unicorn by overpainting it but if I regret it too much i can always draw a new one i suppose

and the reason i'm telling you this in this thread is because I will be selling copies of it once I'm done so I'm trying to catch people's interest in it hahaa ha ha

edit: PAT PAT to everyone in this thread struggling with stuff rn :c
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:41:15 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11510 on: October 16, 2015, 11:43:01 AM »
the theme is unicorns
What a surprise ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #11511 on: October 16, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »
What a surprise ! :D
the surprise is how long I've held out before picking it as a theme. a last resort, if you will.

Previous themes have been:
- mythological creatures (at least thrice)
- witches and familiars
- gargoyles (twice)
- zodiac
- made-up ghost/creature encyclopedia
- the book of kells

... i think that's all

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11512 on: October 16, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
That reminds me that I should probably get on my nengajou (new year's cards) for next year. And it will be....Monkey! I've come full circle, although I didn't do it for two years so I'm kinda bummed about that.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #11513 on: October 16, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
Hello! I'm back but not happy, nope.
So, things happened. Remember a while ago I talked about my uncle? Well, he had to go 2 days ago. My family is sad at the moment so, I have to make them happy. Anyways, did things happened here too??

Oh no, Red, I'm so sorry. Not too much has changed here but there's now a pretty cool Username Origin thread and also we're spookifying our 'sonas in the sona thread - you might like that considering the halloween/creepy possibilities there? I hope you feel better soon and my heart goes out to you.

Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I've been transitioning over into cyberschool, and it's.. definitely taking a little bit to get used to..  :/

I definitely like the "be at home and work at your own pace" deal, though. And I can still go to our school dances and activities and stuff because it's our school's program.
Bad things: the Halloween dance is really the only one I ever go to- and I wrongly expected it to be the 30th. It's the 23rd. And I don't know if my Reynir stuff is going to be here by then. Hope for a miracle, maybe? ; v ;

OhhHHHHhhHHH NOOOO THAT'S THE WORST I'M SO SORRY ;___; Cyberschool seems like a relief, but hopefully the postal service decides to get its stuff together in the best of ways. GOOD LUCK ๑•́ω•̀๑)b

Thank you for all your good wishes! :)
My family and I are well, thank God. One of the perks of living on the 7th floor of a building that stands on a hill...
The people who were affected were the ones who live near the river and/or in one floor houses. There's a lot of donation campaings going on right now to help them.
The good thing is that the sun appeared again, so the clean up will be easier.

I still don't have my wifi back, but that helped me focus and do some chores around the house.

Ohhhhh thank gosh, I was really worried, and I'm so glad that you're okay - good luck and I hope the campaigns can clean up efficiently :0

the surprise is how long I've held out before picking it as a theme. a last resort, if you will.

Previous themes have been:
- mythological creatures (at least thrice)
- witches and familiars
- gargoyles (twice)
- zodiac
- made-up ghost/creature encyclopedia
- the book of kells

... i think that's all

wOW I really would have expected just unicorns somewhere in there muuuch before :0 Like, the first one you'd done or something similar ahahhaha
YEET

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #11514 on: October 16, 2015, 01:34:03 PM »
wOW I really would have expected just unicorns somewhere in there muuuch before :0 Like, the first one you'd done or something similar ahahhaha
WELL there is actually at least unicorn in almost every single one of my previous calendars - the only exception probably being the book of kells one. so this year i'm like "yeah whatever everything's unicorns now"

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11515 on: October 16, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »
*eyebrow waggles the whole thread*

Aaaaah finally Friday. I had forgotten how awesome Fridays are but having a job puts things into perspective. So far I've found out that almost everyone working there including the owners has been born in April... I foresee I'll be putting on some birthday cake kilos every spring that I work at this place. :D

Today a lady came in to pick up her order and when I asked for the number of the order she just went "no no they know me here" and sure enough, they did. Not surprising, she came with a pile of pancakes for all of us (an Icelandic variety, vanilla-flavoured, paper thin and tightly rolled up with sugar, delicious) and apparently she always does when she comes over! I learned to recognize her immediately, this is one awesome customer.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #11516 on: October 16, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
Hello! I'm back but not happy, nope.
So, things happened. Remember a while ago I talked about my uncle? Well, he had to go 2 days ago. My family is sad at the moment so, I have to make them happy. Anyways, did things happened here too??

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, Red Cloud.  It sounds like his long ordeal is at an end, but that doesn't make up for losing a beloved member of the family. 

Not to contradict your parents in their time of grief, but I hope they aren't acting like it's your "job" to cheer them up.  That's more than should be expected of anyone, especially a pre-teen. 

Besides, in a lot of cases "making someone happy" isn't what they need right at the moment.  I quote this clip from "Inside Out" a lot, but notice how Sadness is more effective than Joy at helping the imaginary friend get out of his slump.  She simply sits and listens to him, and acknowledges his feelings: 

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11517 on: October 16, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »
Aaaaah finally Friday. I had forgotten how awesome Fridays are but having a job puts things into perspective.

Ah, it's that time of the week.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11518 on: October 16, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

AAAHHH FIMBY NOOOO HOW DARE YOU.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11519 on: October 16, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »

I knew what it was before I clicked it, and then I went and suffered through it for some weird nostalgia reason so... a possible Fimby yes for once. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: