Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411588 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11490 on: October 15, 2015, 08:12:18 PM »
It might be easier to go with aRTD, because it's complete. And there's a lot that you could do with it regarding things like the mythology/folklore incorporated into it, Kalevala references, the Gallen-Kallela influences in the visuals, the "hero's journey" type of fairytale and how Hannu isn't exactly a typical hero figure.... Also things like how effective the story structure is or isn't, and how that can vary depending on the audience.

Ahh thanks, I like these. I was leaning towards aRTD already since I have it in print and it'd be much easier to reference.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #11491 on: October 15, 2015, 08:38:13 PM »
Ahh thanks, I like these. I was leaning towards aRTD already since I have it in print and it'd be much easier to reference.

: D Makes sense! It's definitely easier for that kind of thing. Only downside is that it doesn't have the author commentary!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #11492 on: October 15, 2015, 09:54:50 PM »
I think the world might be ending...
I'e never seen such a storm as the one that started yesterday. There's a lot of people without electricity, many buildings had their roofs and windows damaged, the streets are flooded,... Lots of trees fell, and some people died. Our main phone line and wifi aren't working. Things are prettty chaotic right now... :-\
Aw geez that's awful :( Hopefully the cleanup/repairs will go smoothly :/ *hugs*

Quote from: Piney
Hey guys, I need some suggestions...
I have to write a 10-page research paper at the end of the semester on a comic of my choice, and of course I want to write it on SSSS or aRTD. Buuut I'm really blanking on what kind of topic I'd be able to research and write ten pages about (I've never written 10 pages on anything before). Could anyone throw out some ideas for me? (A possible topic might be something like "The Role of Linguistics in SSSS.") :puppydogeyes:

((Clarification: I won't use any of your ideas because that would be cheating; I just need to get my brain working))
10 pages.....do you guys measure essays in pages? :O *whispers* put in images...put in infographics....double-spacing... ok maybe not <_<
That sounds like a really fantastic essay topic though?!?!? Do you have to have research and secondary sources and stuff too?

Spoiler: owl being a rambly weirdo and probably oversharing • show
I am being an exemplar *cough* student today. U__U I presented my Pecha Kucha (on The Shining and The Exorcist. I swear my assignment is cursed.) today....two weeks after it was due. U__Ub I finished it this morning. I hand-wrote the script in the hour before class -____- six pages. RIP hand. But at least I'm more efficient at speed-writing than speed typing oh my gosh <_< that's probably why I feel so betrayed that there is no exam for this unit, only a 2,500 word research essay. Due next week. ;__;
But anyway, I DID THE THING. And the teacher said my topic was good which was great because I thought it sucked.

Carrying on my saintly studiousness, *ACKCOughCough* I'm currently starting another major research essay on The Odyssey. Which is due this afternoon.
I can't remember if it needed an annotated bibliography or anything. What it is going to have though, is a LOT of owl-blabber about a book I .....have not actually read. >_> Ahaha...WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?
However, this unit is only a minor/elective (I was planning to have it as a third minor but really it's just the I-have-to-take-a-subject-but-i-dont-have-to-do-particularly-well-yolo class) so I think it should be ok if I submit it a bit late. Lateness is only like 2% per day. Should be fine. <_<

For my animation/hotel project (may as well fill you guys in for no reason since I'm on a typing/sharing roll, sorry) I've bought all the exhibition fabric! Whoot! So much money!! Not so whoot! *insert Torbjörn face here* ;u;
And my class decided that I should sculpt a skull keyring instead of just using...an actual wallaby skull. Because of reasons like "Heath and Safety" and "Sensibility" and "How will you connect the key?" X)
Probably for the best.
So I bought some "translucent" clay, which I'm gonna mix with glow in the dark clay...and make a heap of skulls. Eventually. At some point. My main issue for this class though is illustrating 9 postcards and sending them off to the printer to get fancily printed. -__-
This weekend.
Which overlaps the Odyssey essay. HNNNNnnnnnnnGGG. I WILL DO IT SOMEHOW.

Also I am (probably prematurely and unluckily) prepared for the end of semester! I have bought a book! The Hollow Boy, its about ghost hunter kids and it coincidentally coincides with halloween even thought we don't do that ;__; Also I am making a list of things to draw! (If anyone wants to add to the list just do eet) And I plan on renewing my driver's licence, buying exercise shoes and maybe going swimming for exercise. Depends how expensive pool entry is. Dad will probably want me to get a summer job instead though -__- Lots of things to do. Lots of..things...like..homework....but HOLIDAY! :D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #11493 on: October 15, 2015, 10:05:01 PM »
10 pages.....do you guys measure essays in pages? :O *whispers* put in images...put in infographics....double-spacing... ok maybe not <_<
That sounds like a really fantastic essay topic though?!?!? Do you have to have research and secondary sources and stuff too?

Yeah... :P Our papers are actually required to be double-spaced. My professors always make sure to say "x pages not including images."
It doesn't say on the syllabus that we need secondary sources, so I'm going to assume no. Though not that they'd be very hard to find...

Does anyone have more ideas to throw at me? I'm supposed to have one by tomorrow's class...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #11494 on: October 15, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »
Yeah... :P Our papers are actually required to be double-spaced. My professors always make sure to say "x pages not including images."
It doesn't say on the syllabus that we need secondary sources, so I'm going to assume no. Though not that they'd be very hard to find...

Does anyone have more ideas to throw at me? I'm supposed to have one by tomorrow's class...
Ohhhhhhhh..
Why don't they measure by word count? Is that an American thing or? :O

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #11495 on: October 15, 2015, 10:25:08 PM »
Ohhhhhhhh..
Why don't they measure by word count? Is that an American thing or? :O
o/ I'm an American (unless/until Canada lets me go study there) and we do word count.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #11496 on: October 15, 2015, 10:30:10 PM »
o/ I'm an American (unless/until Canada lets me go study there) and we do word count.
So it's just a school-by-school thing? Ah, that makes sense X) I had never heard of assignments being measured by page count before the Forum days, so I assumed it was a weird american thing to have page counts XD

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #11497 on: October 15, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »
So it's just a school-by-school thing? Ah, that makes sense X) I had never heard of assignments being measured by page count before the Forum days, so I assumed it was a weird american thing to have page counts XD

I think it just depends on the teacher. I've had teachers who go by word count, teachers who go by page count, and teachers who don't really care as long as you say what you need to, all within the same school. It's usually word count for more formal things and page count for shorter assignments, in my experience.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #11498 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:09 PM »
Hey guys, I need some suggestions...
I have to write a 10-page research paper at the end of the semester on a comic of my choice, and of course I want to write it on SSSS or aRTD. Buuut I'm really blanking on what kind of topic I'd be able to research and write ten pages about (I've never written 10 pages on anything before). Could anyone throw out some ideas for me? (A possible topic might be something like "The Role of Linguistics in SSSS.") :puppydogeyes:

((Clarification: I won't use any of your ideas because that would be cheating; I just need to get my brain working))

Maybe write about the relationship between Hannu and Ville, as they both become "human" (although in different ways) through the course of the book?
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #11499 on: October 15, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »
I forgot to eat food most of today, but I had some pop tarts for dinner. They fell on the floor.  Flop tarts?  ...  Flop tarts.  The floor just adds a little flavor is all.

Also, I think I've used up all the emotions my brain had stored up for winter, cause today was kind of extreme. I'm very tired.  *grabs pillow*
This has been the Eich update for the month of October.  \o/
Goodnight, forum people. May your posting be fruitful and your spammers be evicted.
Feel free to PM.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11500 on: October 16, 2015, 05:04:49 AM »
I see you, Laufey, your avatar had changed ;)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #11501 on: October 16, 2015, 06:29:09 AM »
Hello! I'm back but not happy, nope.
So, things happened. Remember a while ago I talked about my uncle? Well, he had to go 2 days ago. My family is sad at the moment so, I have to make them happy. Anyways, did things happened here too??
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11502 on: October 16, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »
I see you, Laufey, your avatar had changed ;)

OH MY GOD IT JUST EYEBROW WAGGLED AT ME :o
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #11503 on: October 16, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I've been transitioning over into cyberschool, and it's.. definitely taking a little bit to get used to..  :/

I definitely like the "be at home and work at your own pace" deal, though. And I can still go to our school dances and activities and stuff because it's our school's program.
Bad things: the Halloween dance is really the only one I ever go to- and I wrongly expected it to be the 30th. It's the 23rd. And I don't know if my Reynir stuff is going to be here by then. Hope for a miracle, maybe? ; v ;

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #11504 on: October 16, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »
Bad things: the Halloween dance is really the only one I ever go to- and I wrongly expected it to be the 30th. It's the 23rd. And I don't know if my Reynir stuff is going to be here by then. Hope for a miracle, maybe? ; v ;
Crossing my fingers for quick mail for you!

...Anyway.

When I was standing at the bus this morning, I saw that someone had their Christmas lights on.
What. Dude, it's not even Halloween yet.

I hope they were just, uh, testing them. Or something. (At 6 in the morning?) Because otherwise that's ridiculous.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge