Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387841 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11475 on: October 15, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »
I'm sitting in the hall where all the language profs have offices and there are languages everywhere. People are speaking Arabic, German, French, English, Spanish, Chinese and more. It's so cool! *happy sigh*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11476 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
I'm sitting in the hall where all the language profs have offices and there are languages everywhere. People are speaking Arabic, German, French, English, Spanish, Chinese and more. It's so cool! *happy sigh*

That's awesome! I love hearing people speak other languages, even if (especially if) I have no idea what they're saying. Maybe I should wander around the language building...
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #11477 on: October 15, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »
I think the world might be ending...
I'e never seen such a storm as the one that started yesterday. There's a lot of people without electricity, many buildings had their roofs and windows damaged, the streets are flooded,... Lots of trees fell, and some people died. Our main phone line and wifi aren't working. Things are prettty chaotic right now... :-\
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11478 on: October 15, 2015, 12:09:44 PM »
I'e never seen such a storm as the one that started yesterday. There's a lot of people without electricity, many buildings had their roofs and windows damaged, the streets are flooded,... Lots of trees fell, and some people died. Our main phone line and wifi aren't working. Things are prettty chaotic right now... :-\

That sounds horrible! I send you lots of warm thoughts and hugs. Please stay safe Daéa!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #11479 on: October 15, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »

D: That's awful! I hope everything is okay with you/your family? Well, aside from the lines being down. I hope that things will calm down soon. Stay safe, dear Daéa.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #11480 on: October 15, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »

That sounds awful. Yes, please stay safe until the storm passes! *sends you comfortable things and wills the storm to clear*
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #11481 on: October 15, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »

Good luck Daéa!!
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11482 on: October 15, 2015, 03:30:53 PM »

That sounds really, really bad! Have all my well-wishes, I hope you'll stay safe and that it'll be over soon.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11483 on: October 15, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »

Tough times. Good news is it's probably not the actual end of the world, seeing as how everything is dead-silent here. It would be terribly unfair for you to have all the drama.

Mélusine

« Reply #11484 on: October 15, 2015, 04:48:55 PM »
I could only repeat what had been said before :-\ and hope all will turn better soon for you.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #11485 on: October 15, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »
Hey guys, I need some suggestions...
I have to write a 10-page research paper at the end of the semester on a comic of my choice, and of course I want to write it on SSSS or aRTD. Buuut I'm really blanking on what kind of topic I'd be able to research and write ten pages about (I've never written 10 pages on anything before). Could anyone throw out some ideas for me? (A possible topic might be something like "The Role of Linguistics in SSSS.") :puppydogeyes:

((Clarification: I won't use any of your ideas because that would be cheating; I just need to get my brain working))

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #11486 on: October 15, 2015, 07:20:14 PM »
I have to write a 10-page research paper at the end of the semester on a comic of my choice, and of course I want to write it on SSSS or aRTD. Buuut I'm really blanking on what kind of topic I'd be able to research and write ten pages about (I've never written 10 pages on anything before). Could anyone throw out some ideas for me? (A possible topic might be something like "The Role of Linguistics in SSSS.") :puppydogeyes:

((Clarification: I won't use any of your ideas because that would be cheating; I just need to get my brain working))

What's the class you're writing it for?

Also, I don't think it would be cheating to use someone's suggestion of a paper topic; after all, you'd be doing the research, coming up with the conclusions, and writing the thing.  We're just helping you brainstorm the "story angle" (as we used to say when I was a newspaper reporter). 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11487 on: October 15, 2015, 07:24:08 PM »

You can write about the norse and finnish influences or how international relations change because of the rash.

I don't mind if you use either of these ideas.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #11488 on: October 15, 2015, 07:50:44 PM »
What's the class you're writing it for?

Also, I don't think it would be cheating to use someone's suggestion of a paper topic; after all, you'd be doing the research, coming up with the conclusions, and writing the thing.  We're just helping you brainstorm the "story angle" (as we used to say when I was a newspaper reporter). 

Comics crit is the class.
And good to know, I always try to stay on the safe side :P

You can write about the norse and finnish influences or how international relations change because of the rash.

I don't mind if you use either of these ideas.

Thank you! *notes these down*
I... know absolutely nothing about international relations, so that one would be difficult...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #11489 on: October 15, 2015, 07:56:12 PM »

It might be easier to go with aRTD, because it's complete. And there's a lot that you could do with it regarding things like the mythology/folklore incorporated into it, Kalevala references, the Gallen-Kallela influences in the visuals, the "hero's journey" type of fairytale and how Hannu isn't exactly a typical hero figure.... Also things like how effective the story structure is or isn't, and how that can vary depending on the audience.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge