Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387592 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10305 on: September 11, 2015, 11:16:51 AM »
I use tumblr a lot, but I don't really interact with the social-style things and I kind of use it as a place I put things that make me laugh/inspire me and also my art. Also, cosplay. The last two tend to attract followers and eventually it would be nice if I could get commissions or sponsorships but those come once you have like... Many Many followers and I'm still stuck at 299 >:I

Same. I used to try to keep up with important things, but tumblr can be so overwhelming that in the end I resolved to having a blog that would be fun to stumble upon. Cute things, funny things, strange things, not much by personal things or interaction. As long as one doesn't sink too deep into tumblr it's a wonderful way of showcasing things and finding out interesting stuff.

On another, less pleasant side tumblr can be a bit dangerous since it's so easy to gang up on one person and harass them, and the staff seems unwilling to do much about it. The things that can get you bullied can be pretty much anything, since the possibility of bullying others anonymously gets the worst out of people... occasionally the attackers don't even seem to care about the perceived mistake that much, instead they seem to get some kind of horrible satisfaction just from lashing out.

Hm, I think I sounded really negative there for a bit... bottom line is that tumblr is great for certain kind of blogging, but it does have a bad side as well.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #10306 on: September 11, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »
Same. I used to try to keep up with important things, but tumblr can be so overwhelming that in the end I resolved to having a blog that would be fun to stumble upon. Cute things, funny things, strange things, not much by personal things or interaction. As long as one doesn't sink too deep into tumblr it's a wonderful way of showcasing things and finding out interesting stuff.

On another, less pleasant side tumblr can be a bit dangerous since it's so easy to gang up on one person and harass them, and the staff seems unwilling to do much about it. The things that can get you bullied can be pretty much anything, since the possibility of bullying others anonymously gets the worst out of people... occasionally the attackers don't even seem to care about the perceived mistake that much, instead they seem to get some kind of horrible satisfaction just from lashing out.

Hm, I think I sounded really negative there for a bit... bottom line is that tumblr is great for certain kind of blogging, but it does have a bad side as well.

Yes!! Yes. Yes to the last two paragraphs in particular. I said something about that in my tumblr advice post (*points back to fear's post with the link for people considering joining*) but people get really really really angry over things that may not even be true and you can't be loved by everybody because there's nobody who's utterly and completely "unproblematic". It's just not going to happen. Therefore I interact with nobody and say nothing, only throw pictures of my face and my art into the void every now and then >_>
YEET

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
« Reply #10307 on: September 11, 2015, 11:41:53 AM »

Yes!! Yes. Yes to the last two paragraphs in particular. I said something about that in my tumblr advice post (*points back to fear's post with the link for people considering joining*) but people get really really really angry over things that may not even be true and you can't be loved by everybody because there's nobody who's utterly and completely "unproblematic". It's just not going to happen. Therefore I interact with nobody and say nothing, only throw pictures of my face and my art into the void every now and then >_>

Yes. I've always been quiet enough that I don't get any hate (or love for that matter, lol), but I certainly see it a lot and several of my friends there who aren't quiet have had some problems. I think that it's a little bit like most social media: when you put yourself out there, you're opening yourself to a lot of people and having to accept the fact that it's likely that you're going to get attacked. It sucks, but some people are nasty and the internet is great at giving those people voices. *shrugs*
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10308 on: September 11, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »
Owl, Kick, Curry, Laufey, Miss Honeyham, and Co.:

Once the Tumblr discussion winds down, do you mind if I move it to Other Social Media?  (Or another thread if you prefer.)  It's valuable perspective, and I worry it might get lost in the shuffle if it stays here. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10309 on: September 11, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
Sunflower: no problem! Any comment by me can always be moved. :)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10310 on: September 11, 2015, 11:50:53 AM »

Once the Tumblr discussion winds down, do you mind if I move it to Other Social Media?  (Or another thread if you prefer.)  It's valuable perspective, and I worry it might get lost in the shuffle if it stays here.
aye-aye, cap'n i mean admiral!

Yes. I've always been quiet enough that I don't get any hate (or love for that matter, lol), but I certainly see it a lot and several of my friends there who aren't quiet have had some problems. I think that it's a little bit like most social media: when you put yourself out there, you're opening yourself to a lot of people and having to accept the fact that it's likely that you're going to get attacked. It sucks, but some people are nasty and the internet is great at giving those people voices. *shrugs*
pretty much! I've never been able to be quiet, so I've been in some kerfuffles - but nothing too bad. But by opening up I've also helped people a lot, and people have come to me for advice and that's kind of terrifying, isn't it, that someone values my opinion enough to ask for it.

but then again, I've never actively engaged anyone, only shouted in my own voidspace. Engaging is not adviceable. best advice for dealing with gross people is to block them and never look back. do NOT hate-read blogs. do not. d o not do it
you'll know where to find me.

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
« Reply #10311 on: September 11, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »

I'm a-okay with that! Please do what your heart tells you.

pretty much! I've never been able to be quiet, so I've been in some kerfuffles - but nothing too bad. But by opening up I've also helped people a lot, and people have come to me for advice and that's kind of terrifying, isn't it, that someone values my opinion enough to ask for it.

but then again, I've never actively engaged anyone, only shouted in my own voidspace. Engaging is not adviceable. best advice for dealing with gross people is to block them and never look back. do NOT hate-read blogs. do not. d o not do it

That is some good advice right there.

Basically the key to Tumblr is the key to all human interaction: be a decent human, gosh darnit.
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #10312 on: September 11, 2015, 12:58:22 PM »

No problem!

aye-aye, cap'n i mean admiral!

Yeah, I've actually had a couple of those messages already and I'm always very ???? !!!! because I'm such a smol blog?? Bitty little curry blog?? It's very surprising because I really don't do too much social on tumblr but people still come to me for cosplay advice or sexuality advice (terrifying) or drawing advice/requests and I sit here in a puddle of my own tears because it's so adorable and sweet ___(:3/L)______
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10313 on: September 11, 2015, 01:07:22 PM »
@ the tumblr peeps: Is making a tumblr account/blog difficult?

In my experience making a tumblr blog is easy peasy. Putting it to use and actually posting/reblogging content is the hard part.

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #10314 on: September 11, 2015, 02:42:37 PM »
>snippety!<
... Many Many followers and I'm still stuck at 299 >:I

Wah?   ???  The last time I had 300 followers, I was near the head of a parade.  ::)

"In the snow.  Uphill, both ways!!"  ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:44:21 PM by DaveBro (Phasing out "ReturnOf") »
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10315 on: September 11, 2015, 02:44:12 PM »

There is also an earlier discussion from last week on the same topic that could be moved. I can send you the links from it if you want.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10316 on: September 11, 2015, 02:56:54 PM »
There is also an earlier discussion from last week on the same topic that could be moved. I can send you the links from it if you want.
Viola, you are the wind beneath my wings.  :)  Yes, please!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #10317 on: September 11, 2015, 03:13:44 PM »
I kinda wish we had a role play board. I think that it'd be a lot of fun and stuff.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10318 on: September 11, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
Forgive me for replying to myself, but it's as good a way as any for acknowledging that I inadvertently slandered Volda, and justly provoked Fimbulvarg, whilst operating under some false assumptions:

Spoiler: Mea Culpa • show

1.  That Volda is really as small and lacking as my oldest grandson (studying there from Stavanger) claimed (he probably didn't want to clean house for visitors);
2.  That Trondheim was still bigger, and presumably a more interesting place to live, than Stavanger--so much so, that going from the bright lights of bustling Trondheim to either Stavanger, or reportedly tiny Volda, would constitute deprivation for a long-time city dweller.

In extenuation, Stavanger is my other home, and home to my grandchildren & great-grandchildren. <3 
I got just as defensive, from sore provocation, in my own turn.  >:( 

I didn't mean to insult Volda and its supporters, and am sorry I responded in anger.   :-[ 

Now, please tell the picketers to get off my lawn?  ??? 
At night, they take turns sleeping on the porch swing, and the squirrels have been gnawing the ropes.  ::)

What on earth are you talking about? For starters, if you had actually provoked me somehow I'd do more to let you know. Secondly, I don't care about Volda - the only place I won't allow you to slander freely is Northern Norway. Thirdly, what are you even angry about?

I kinda wish we had a role play board. I think that it'd be a lot of fun and stuff.

We do have role play threads y'know - works fine.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10319 on: September 11, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »
In my experience making a tumblr blog is easy peasy. Putting it to use and actually posting/reblogging content is the hard part.
...does this mean you have a tumblr?
you'll know where to find me.