Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387764 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9900 on: August 30, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »
Do I qualify for mini human? I'm only 5'3". And I like hugs. Just don't pick me up. I'm not fond of that.

Sure! And I vaguely have a chance of meeting you in the near future. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #9901 on: August 30, 2015, 02:14:01 PM »
With all the talk of minihumans lately, I just want to meet up with all of them just to hug them.

I'm a minihuman and you've hugged me! :D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #9902 on: August 30, 2015, 02:19:58 PM »
Meanwhile, I need to know how tall I am. I am by far waaay too short in my school BUT when going out and meeting other people, I am short but not so much? Apparently scientifical and classical liceo students are taller than most, who would've known. I'm still pretty short compared to others but not in a "Have to bend neck backwards at an uncomfortable angle" level.

Yeah. Need to know how tall I am.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #9903 on: August 30, 2015, 02:30:11 PM »
Actually, in my experience, metal concert crowds are generally very well behaved, even when drunk. Might depend a bit on genre=age of most people in the audience.
My experience is similar, metal gigs tend to have really chill people, plus as a minihuman I really appreciate how metalheads actually make a point of not stepping on me or elbowing me in the eye. Any kind of dance music is where the troublemakers are, the time I came close to getting kicked in the face by a random drunken lady was at a Páll Óskar concert, not because she had anything against me but because that was somehow her idea of dancing. In a huge crowd. :-\
Oh, really? That's good to hear- only ever heard the horror stories about hyper-aggressive biker types from my few more metal friends. I'm glad that's not the norm.
I'm standing by my stance on ravers though. They're freaking weird.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9904 on: August 30, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »
I'm standing by my stance on ravers though. They're freaking weird.
yeeeeeah the röyksopp concert was pretty much a rave party aside from the lack of glowsticks.

horror story: I put tape all over my window frame sometime before summer because I was scared ants were creeping in from beneath the sill, and I noticed just now that the tape is full of ants. ha ha ha ha i need a cleanser
you'll know where to find me.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #9905 on: August 30, 2015, 02:56:49 PM »
horror story: I put tape all over my window frame sometime before summer because I was scared ants were creeping in from beneath the sill, and I noticed just now that the tape is full of ants. ha ha ha ha i need a cleanser
But... don't you still need the house? D:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #9906 on: August 30, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »

Get a flamethrower ASAP, please. Seriously, yuck.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9907 on: August 30, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
ha ha ha ha i need a cleanser
*Is laughing alone and trying to make her housemate not notice that*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9908 on: August 30, 2015, 03:07:26 PM »
With all the talk of minihumans lately, I just want to meet up with all of them just to hug them.

Aww racism non-specific discrimination!!

This day was one of those days that don't really go according to plan, but still wraps up at least somewhat nicely in the end.

Spoiler: show

So I parked my car on a forest trail out in the wilderness and left it there. Some hours later I return, get in, put the key in the ignition and twist. Nothing. Not a sound from my Czech stallion. Batteries must be flat as a board, why on eart- Oh, I left the lights on and they flatlined the battery. That's it, I'm officially an idiot.

Okay, in situations like this the first solution is usually to get someone to help you with starter cables. Chirp chirp, there's not a sentient being to be found anywhere near, let alone one with a car. I don't think the local bears are interested. Okay then, option two: push the car until the battery builds up a sufficient charge....

Observe this sample of the neanderthalis Norvegicus. Watch it stubbornly push a 1.9 tonne car across a potholed gravelly forest road. Watch its puny feet scrape uselessly against the surface as the car remains rigidly planted on the spot. Watch it faceplant and eat a mouthful of dirt. Watch it get up and repeat this process. Biologist and antrophologists agree, this particular subspecies will be extinct within a forthnight.

Can you tell my ego took a torpedo below the waterline from this whole predicament?

So I had to resort to the dreaded third option: Call the roadside assistance service and have them bring a battery charger. I say dreaded mostly for economic reasons; their services are pricy and I'm not affluent. I don't need the expense in my life (even though my negligence caused the whole situation). The price was surprisingly reasonable though considering that they had to drive for two hours to get there after they got my call. That also meant I had to wait by my car for two hours for them to get there. So there I sat on the hood. Munching blueberries. So that what greeted the obviously amused RA serviceman when he arrived was a slightly feral-looking half-smurf on a Skoda.

That's it, storytime's over.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:36:23 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #9909 on: August 30, 2015, 03:11:49 PM »

Horror-er story: my room was once infested with carpenter ants, years ago. You could hear them in the walls, and they sounded like squirrels they were so loud. My mom called an exterminator actually thinking they were squirrels, but the exterminator went into my room, had a listen, and said "no, those are ants". We still didn't really believe him. He drilled a few holes in my windowsill and sprayed some insecticide in it, and ants came pouring out. Big ones too. And they died from the insecticide and he plugged up the hole and we haven't had an ant problem since.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9910 on: August 30, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
You had a... very special day, Fimby. (Wonderful italic spoiler part, by the way.)

Aww racism non-specific discrimination!!
It seems we should now include hug in minnions meet-up.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9911 on: August 30, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »

So I parked my car on a forest trail out in the wilderness and left it there. Some hours later I return, get in, put the key in the ignition and twist. Nothing. Not a sound from my Czech stallion. Batteries must be flat as a board, why on eart- Oh, I left the lights on and they flatlined the battery. That's it, I'm officially an idiot.

Okay, in situations like this the first solution is usually to get someone to help you with starter cables. Chirp chirp, there's not a sentient being to be found anywhere near, let alone one with a car. I don't think the local bears are interested. Okay then, option two: push the car until the battery builds up a sufficient charge....

Observe this sample of the neanderthalis Norvegicus. Watch it stubbornly push a 1.9 tonne car across a potholed gravelly forest road. Watch its puny feet scrape uselessly against the surface as the car remains rigidly planted on the spot. Watch it faceplant and eat a mouthful of dirt. Watch it get up and repeat this process a dozen more times. Biologist and antrophologists agree, this particular subspecies will be extinct within a forthnight.

Can you tell my ego took a torpedo below the waterline from this whole predicament?

So I had to resort to the dreaded third option: Call the roadside assistance service and have them bring a battery charger. I say dreaded mostly for economic reasons; their services are pricy and I'm not affluent. I don't need the expense in my life (even though my negligence caused the whole situation). The price was surprisingly reasonable though considering that they had to drive for two hours to get there after they got my call. That also meant I had to wait by my car for two hours for them to get there. So there I sat on the hood. Munching blueberries. So that what greeted the obviously amused RA serviceman when he arrived was a slightly feral-looking half-smurf on a Skoda.

That's it, storytime's over.

At least it made an awesome story and I'm totally not making weird half-choking sounds because laughing at this feels a bit wrong but still... you definitely deserve all the hugs. I'm sending one over that way so, uh, now you just wait a few hours and then figure out which direction is west. Direction may vary a bit according to wind conditions though.

neanderthalis Norvegicus
a slightly feral-looking half-smurf on a Skoda

Help I'm dying ;D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9912 on: August 30, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »
Fimby: that's... that's an amazing retelling of your day. I'd offer you a hug but since I'm not a very huggy person, I offer you attempt at cheerup in the form of an art reflex.

I can't really do your beautiful description of a feral-looking half-smurf justice I'm sorry

But hey, at least it was just flat batteries, right? some while ago our rental skoda fabia broke down during some czech adventure or other. when returning it to the rental company, it was revealed that the cables on the inside had been chewed on by a ferret. and that this was a normal occurence for fabias and they've had several of them returned for this reason. just the fabias.

NOPE JUST COME AND BURN EVERYTHING

the ants aren't from the house, though. they're from right outside my window - my room is below ground level. Just retaped my windows and trying not to freak out
you'll know where to find me.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #9913 on: August 30, 2015, 04:34:26 PM »
the ants aren't from the house, though. they're from right outside my window - my room is below ground level. Just retaped my windows and trying not to freak out

Why freak out? Ants are cool. Healthy part of the ecosystem and all. There are much nastier (and dangerous!) bugs out there.
Plus, there are a ton of home remedies you can try to keep them out (presumably they work, otherwise people wouldn't keep spreading the info), starting with simple and harmless stuff like spraying vinegar over the entry point. You can google plenty more. Make this into an exciting SCIENCE QUEST!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9914 on: August 30, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »
You had a... very special day, Fimby. (Wonderful italic spoiler part, by the way.)
At least it made an awesome story and I'm totally not making weird half-choking sounds because laughing at this feels a bit wrong but still... you definitely deserve all the hugs. I'm sending one over that way so, uh, now you just wait a few hours and then figure out which direction is west. Direction may vary a bit according to wind conditions though.
Fimby: that's... that's an amazing retelling of your day. I'd offer you a hug but since I'm not a very huggy person, I offer you attempt at cheerup in the form of an art reflex.

Well, considering that everything went a lot better than it could have wound up doing I'm not really in need of cheerup efforts. I ain't even mad. Okay, maybe I was a seething blueberry volcano at the time, but the situation was resolved nicely.

Haiz: Art triggers never fail to amuse me. This one is oddly accurate, almost as if you were there.

That thing about the Fabias is so oddly specific it must be some weird illuminati plot. Fabias only. By ferrets specifically. SuspiciousDipper.jpg.