Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387718 times)

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9885 on: August 29, 2015, 08:17:45 PM »
Work is getting crazy busy. Back-to-school rush has started, and now I'm working both as a cashier and as a frame shop assistant. It's awesome and fun and I love it and I'm too exhausted for words.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #9886 on: August 29, 2015, 10:18:35 PM »
Meanwhile, I've never been to a concert...

1. Take earplugs so you have the option to decrease the volume if it's uncomfortable.
2. If you don't like smoke, maybe take a dust mask for relief?  That factor may have changed in the (mumble) years since I saw Blue Oyster Cult.
3.  Disregard this advice because I'm probably the only person in the world dorky enough to follow it.  ;)

Today was pretty good, I got to hang out around the university and figure out where some things are. It was very nice because now I fell a lot less stressed about what I have to do and managing things.

That's great! 

I even met some people. Like actually went up to them by myself and talked to them :O Real live human beings. There is hope! >snip!<

Wow, it's almost like you have a whole forum of friends pulling for you  :o   8)

You did well, Vi.  :D
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
« Reply #9887 on: August 29, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »
Haha, cool! Yes, meet human beings, make friends, get everyone addicted to SSSS! Glad to know things are going well so far :) And wish me luck, I'm doing the same thing on Wednesday, though I won't be going nearly so far What? No, of course I'm not freaking out, why would I be freaking out it's just going to be so different and I won't know what I'm doing and--! hahhh.... hahhhh.... deep breaths, Ana
As long as you know where your towel is, you'll be cool and froody.   ;)
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #9888 on: August 30, 2015, 12:24:41 AM »
Yay! Windstorm! One with all the good stuff, too. Billowy clouds, rain showers, sudden sun breaks, leaves flying into the windows - this is great! (Although I'm not sure how thankful I am about my dog Natasha transferring mud to two - and counting - pairs of socks. At least she's enthusiastic.)
Yes! Sooooo windy! We're getting leaves from a bigleaf maple five houses down bowling by at head height! Except my visiting grandpa (who I don't know very well at all) keeps joking about going sailing and I'm like "less funny considering how terrifying it is to go sailing in less strong weather than this"
But overall, whee fun! :D
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9889 on: August 30, 2015, 06:19:30 AM »
Yay! Windstorm! One with all the good stuff, too. Billowy clouds, rain showers, sudden sun breaks, leaves flying into the windows - this is great! (Although I'm not sure how thankful I am about my dog Natasha transferring mud to two - and counting - pairs of socks. At least she's enthusiastic.)

that sounds amazing O: I love dramatic weather. Or at least as long as it's not dangerous

Work is getting crazy busy. Back-to-school rush has started, and now I'm working both as a cashier and as a frame shop assistant. It's awesome and fun and I love it and I'm too exhausted for words.
Aa, awesome!! Sorry to hear about your exhaustion but I'm glad to hear you're doing well and having fun!

@Viola: nice, that is an actual achievement O: pls teach me your ways *is going second year at uni*

I think I was at my first proper concert when I was what, 15? It's easier to go to them when you're over 18, anyway. Also I don't think I've ever been at as many concerts as I've been this year, it's intense - and I already have tickets for two more concerts (of monsters and men in octobev, eluveitie in november), what the HECK.

The nightwish concert was really great though! While I knew about both this one and the highasakite concert I was pretty "yeeeh I'd go but tickets are expensive and I'm not feeling it" and then I ended up spontaneously going to both of them anyway, because of CIRCUMSTANCES. Yesterday's circumstance was one of my internet-turned-irl friend coming to trondheim for the concert, but meaning to sleep over at a friend who lives a little more centrally - then said friend turning sick making them come over here instead. And then managing to convince me at the last minute to go.

- It was raining a little but we stood close enough to the pyrotechnics that we got all dried up and maybe a little roasted. the pyrotechnics were like a cleanser ballet show

- in the crowd I met a former classmate, from the school where I was an outsider and everyone were kinda condescending to me and stuff?? I barely recognized her bc she has dyed her hair black and has sidecuts and everything. Im feeling kinda smug about it. She also saw me wednesday when I was up in the forest with my bow and arrows and everything so I'm even smugger about that. I'm a little shallow and petty ok

- I survived the concert without having to buy water for 40 kroner like what the heck is this liquid gold or what

- post-concert activities included doing odd things like scientific nose booping and Synchronized Silly Walking. In a crowd full of drunk people.
you'll know where to find me.

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
« Reply #9890 on: August 30, 2015, 10:49:16 AM »

>snip!<

- post-concert activities included doing odd things like scientific nose booping and Synchronized Silly Walking. In a crowd full of drunk people.

;D ;D ;D John Cleese and Eric Idle are touring this Fall, and coming HERE in October!!  ;D ;D ;D

Performing on a Wednesday and a Thursday, at 7:30 PM  ??? -- barely past the end of our horrific daily traffic rush, far far, from the limited rail transit.  And they want $145 for two tickets  :o .  Now THAT'S funny!!  In a heart-breaking sort of way.   :'(
 :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:(   :(   >:( 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:17:28 PM by ReturnOfDaveBro »
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #9891 on: August 30, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »
Synchronized Silly Walking. In a crowd full of drunk people.
I approve.

Well, there's such a huge spectrum of music out there, there's a huge spectrum of gigs to go to.
Some of them require under-16s to be with an adult, while some block anyone under-16 from even attending, so obviously not all of them are available, but most of them are.
Depending on what music you like and how worried about the crowds you are, I'd recommend seeing a few small local acts first to get used to it, then you can start travelling for your favourite artists if you want. Crowds aren't bad for most genres- I saw Johnny Marr in the Bristol Student Union last year and the crowd was for the most part nice, if a bit drunk and pushy. John Grant in the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall had one of the nicest crowds I've ever seen. You only get really unpleasant, aggressive/drugged-up crowds at metal/trance/raver gigs, so if you're into classical/alt/alt-rock/pop/folk/etc/etc, they should be fine.
There's such a different feeling and experience in seeing live music that even mediocre bands sound good, and your favourite bands sound amazing.
(blathering ends here)
In short, live music is (for the most part) great.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:30:34 PM by ParanormalAndroid »

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #9892 on: August 30, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »
You only get really unpleasant, aggressive/drugged-up crowds at metal/trance/raver gigs, so if you're into classical/alt/alt-rock/pop/folk/etc/etc, they should be fine.

Actually, in my experience, metal concert crowds are generally very well behaved, even when drunk. Might depend a bit on genre=age of most people in the audience.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9893 on: August 30, 2015, 12:57:56 PM »
Actually, in my experience, metal concert crowds are generally very well behaved, even when drunk. Might depend a bit on genre=age of most people in the audience.

My experience is similar, metal gigs tend to have really chill people, plus as a minihuman I really appreciate how metalheads actually make a point of not stepping on me or elbowing me in the eye. Any kind of dance music is where the troublemakers are, the time I came close to getting kicked in the face by a random drunken lady was at a Páll Óskar concert, not because she had anything against me but because that was somehow her idea of dancing. In a huge crowd. :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9894 on: August 30, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
Actually, in my experience, metal concert crowds are generally very well behaved, even when drunk.
I can verify this! ok not personally, but my friend (who was with me this weekend) goes to a lot of metal concerts and said that you can tell Nightwish is mainstream from the fact that the crowd can be pretty rude and unpleasant. Metalheads know their concert etiquette because they go to a lot of them.

Within Temptation played in Trondheim a couple years ago, too, and I ended up standing behind a dude who managed to drink, smoke and talk on the phone during the concert. I was pretty close to front row, too......
you'll know where to find me.

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9895 on: August 30, 2015, 01:13:16 PM »
With all the talk of minihumans lately, I just want to meet up with all of them just to hug them.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9896 on: August 30, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »
With all the talk of minihumans lately, I just want to meet up with all of them just to hug them.

I'm available for this plan if we ever manage to meet somewhere!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9897 on: August 30, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »
* starfallz starts a list.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9898 on: August 30, 2015, 01:19:45 PM »
More hugs ! ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #9899 on: August 30, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »
Do I qualify for mini human? I'm only 5'3". And I like hugs. Just don't pick me up. I'm not fond of that.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: