Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410480 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6300 on: June 04, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »
I am really bad at being in hot places, mostly due to my skin being allergic to being in the sun for extended periods of time (I am secretly a vampire) It's 13C here and which is nice but if it get's much hotter than 25 I try not to go out. I went to Spain over the summer with my family a few years ago, that was insanely hot. We were the ones wandering around outside like idiots and all the locals were inside sleeping. :P
I have a red-haired skin and I'm very good to turn red when normal persons become tanned.
I have a similar experience to yours, in Italy, in august. 40°C in the afternoon. My idea of hell :P
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6301 on: June 04, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
I have a red-haired skin and I'm very good to turn red when normal persons become tanned.
I have a similar experience to yours, in Italy, in august. 40°C in the afternoon. My idea of hell :P

Oh, that's hell indeed! It's 30°C here at the moment, and I'm agonizing. And it can get worse... like 35-36°C in daytime and 28 at nights.
For most of my friends, lying in the burning sun by the Adriatic Sea is the ideal holiday – for me, it’s torture.  And they don’t understand why I always want to travel to Northern Europe or to the Alps or the Carpathian Mountains in the summer…
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #6302 on: June 04, 2015, 09:26:35 AM »
Even though I am no where near pale, I still have a low heat tolerance. This is probably because of growing up in a extremely not-hot place. Around 73f (22c) is my comfort place :3

click spoiler for something completely unrelated!
Spoiler: show
I have wasted a lot of hours on this website
http://www.theuselessweb.com/

"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #6303 on: June 04, 2015, 09:29:17 AM »

Yeah, that happens to me too (my skin's so pale I've been asked if I'm albino before now, despite my noticeably orange hair - the person asking wasn't too bright). Everyone else tans nicely and I look like I've just been rescued from a house fire.

The 40°C Italian summer is something I have experienced precisely once. Hell holds no surprises for me now.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #6304 on: June 04, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »
The pair I currently have, I'm worried they're too 'bookish' or something... Or my fashion-obsessed sisters say so anyway. So I was thinking about trying a different style of frames :/
But I don't know what would be good, and have no one to ask for a second opinion.
I have no fashion sense whatsoever (and also the problem of "how do I see what I look like without having my current glasses on?"), so I can't give you much advice unless you want to hear about how unbreakable Titanium frames are etc..

However, I'ld like to remind you that the prime purpose of glasses is for you to look through, not others to look on. Be aware how much of a field of vision you need for your typical activities, and which part of it the lenses need to cover to make for a crisp view. I've rejected many frames, including "wiry" ones, because I do a lot of car driving and the temples passed by my eyes at exactly the height where I'ld rather be able to see the guy ignoring my right of way as he comes out of some by-road.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #6305 on: June 04, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
The 40°C Italian summer is something I have experienced precisely once.
My hottest summer vacation ever (also 40C): Berlin, of all places, beating lots of vacations along the North shore of the Mediterranean. It was a particularly hot year.

(I've been told that Chennai typically goes way above 40C in summer, but I was there in spring. Which means that it was quite hot and humid.)

Hell holds no surprises for me now.
Eheheheeeehrhrh. 8)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #6306 on: June 04, 2015, 10:34:33 AM »
My hottest summer vacation ever (also 40C): Berlin, of all places, beating lots of vacations along the North shore of the Mediterranean. It was a particularly hot year.

(I've been told that Chennai typically goes way above 40C in summer, but I was there in spring. Which means that it was quite hot and humid.)
Eheheheeeehrhrh. 8)

When we were in Seville it hit 43. Spain is beautiful, but I could never live there.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #6307 on: June 04, 2015, 10:45:59 AM »
Ah, look at you people, wearing your glasses having eye tests and being responsible and jazz...I have a very poor sight when it comes to seeing in the distance, I have glasses. Good glasses, nice frames and all...do I wear them? Noooo~
I think Koeshi, would be a millionaire if I gave him a penny for every time he tells me to wear my glasses. . .

Woman you will wear your glasses if I have to duct tape them to your face.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6308 on: June 04, 2015, 10:48:21 AM »
HI IM BACK and with more Internet Credits I shall attempt to use a little more Sparingly. I'll be living directly at the hotel from the 20th anyway, and there should be free wifi for me there, so I hope I can survive on this till then.

- ANYWAY back from another day of work! I was in the kitchens today as well, and I even got to make ACTUAL SANDWICHES today! ….with tuna, ewewewewww. they turned out a bit wonky, i’m so sorry congress people. I was also cutting some kinda moldy cheese into squares, so I got a good look on all that gross mold, too.

- it’s official. people recognize me as “the norwegian one” by the green hair. I even tried to wash it out to the best of my abilities before I got here, too, so it’s very faint, and yET

- people keep asking me if I’m here ALL ON MY OWN or if I miss home and stuff… I don’t think I’ve ever been homesick in my entire life, to be honest. Sure, I may miss some things I left home, or I may miss stability, routine, a feeling of security, but never really home in itself. I don’t even know what home feels like - I’ve never felt like I’ve belonged anywhere. Or on the flipside, maybe I feel like i belong everywhere. shrugs

- people are also very perplexed about me not finding a job back home, even when I tell them I have practically no qualifications for anything

- I’m so incredibly awkward like

“what, you’re still cutting tomatoes? we don’t need that many!”
“… I didn’t know I was supposed to stop”

*on the verge of singing sea shantys while cutting vegetables*

*tries to open automatic door by waving hands like a jedi, only to realize that was not an automatic door at all*

*makes squeaky noises in reply to the head chef’s attempts at small-talking at me*

I’m so awkward I don’t understand how I have survived for 20 years, and definitely not how come I’m working at a four star congress hotel with 559 above-standard rooms

also ahah im sorry for barging in on the conversatons going on..... i dont have the mental energy to read through all this text at the moment (hypocrite, i know) but I see you talking about... reincarnation?? I'm not really sure what I believe in since I'm a wonky kind of agnostic, but I like to think our souls are put together by bits and pieces of all kinds of things, like previous lives, glaciers, forests, (UNICORNS), clouds, animals....... some kinda soul mosaic. idek.

as for weather, it seems to be above 20 degrees outside here in prague. it was a little colder today than previously, but i suspect the headache I had a few days ago was due to me not being good at adapting from the trondheim cold to sudden summer.
you'll know where to find me.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #6309 on: June 04, 2015, 11:05:28 AM »
Haiiiz, don't be silly! A four-star hotel can never have too many chopped tomatoes.
Also, it's great that you've managed to get a job so quickly, let alone in a good hotel- be proud!
(Also, you think you've seen awkwardness? I was born in awkwardness. Moulded by it. I didn't have basic social skills until I was already... Well, 15.)
(Yes that was a Dark Knight quote parodied, yes, I'm a geek)
But good luck with all those sandwiches, keep us updated!

Mélusine

« Reply #6310 on: June 04, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »
*tries to open automatic door by waving hands like a jedi, only to realize that was not an automatic door at all*
*Coughs* It's the only thing funny in some places in Paris's subway, and no, I don't want to know what the others persons might think of me ^^° (Sometimes the door are not automatic too. Advice : just pretend all is all right and you knew it.)
It's just the beginning of your job, I'm sure all is and will be all right :)

Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6311 on: June 04, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »
I was also cutting some kinda moldy cheese into squares, so I got a good look on all that gross mold, too.

I hope you're ready to take on Laufey and Sunflower behind a sauna.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #6312 on: June 04, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »

FOOD FIGHT! *rolls out cheese cube trebuchet*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6313 on: June 04, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »
I am READY

oh, and I forgot the ham. I was re-wrapping a serrano ham when I realized the package said "tørrlagret spansk skinke" or something and I was very close to shouting "EYH YOUR SPANISH HAM IS NORWEGIAN"
........ i've actually heard someone talk about it, how serrano ham is incredibly popular in norway and they actually produce it partly in norway thanks to some loopholes in food transporting law or whatever
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

« Reply #6314 on: June 04, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »
FOOD FIGHT! *rolls out cheese cube trebuchet*
Since when do you have a trebuchet for cheese ? O_o