Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387795 times)

KMK

• Scout
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5400 on: May 19, 2015, 12:19:50 AM »
I'm a red-green leftist. Does that make it easier to understand? Most of the people I know or whom I daily communicate with have a rather similar ideology: we want to live in a nation that takes care of all of it's citizens regardless their ethnic or economic background, understands the necessity of nature preservation as well as developing economy and infrastructure in a way that does not destroy the environment, and works to advance equality between all people all around the world. So it tends to come as a shock when election after election the majority of finns seem to think that none of these things matter and it's a much better idea to vote for people who see the world as a battlefield where everyone must fight for themselves and grab as much as they can. Or simply to vote for their favorite celebrities or the same candidates they’ve always voted for, regardless if those candidates have ever achieved anything good when elected or are convicted criminals, alcoholics or plain idiots.

WOW!! You have just summed up American Politics too! What is wrong with people? Why can't they see the obvious better solutions?

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5401 on: May 19, 2015, 12:33:15 AM »
Well yeah, the advantage of being in a house though is that there's a billion easier ways for it to get to ground though. If you're in a sailboat on the water, you and your boat are probably gonna be the quickest way down to ground, but a house has pipes, your electrical system, etc. The likelihood that it's gonna jump to you rather than taking a better/faster/more direct route is low.
(this is what I meant to say; I'm just really terrible at being reassuring)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5402 on: May 19, 2015, 02:03:23 AM »
(this is what I meant to say; I'm just really terrible at being reassuring)

Muahaha, I got yo back. ;D

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #5403 on: May 19, 2015, 03:55:16 AM »
Does this go here? It probably does.

Random announcement: Resident ninja has become Australian. Now the flags in her signature stand for languages spoken, places lived in, and countries belonging to!

<insert long rant about Australian bureaucracy not accepting umlauts or any other accents in official documentation here>

<insert second long rant about leaving the country in three weeks and having a truckload of schoolwork to finish before that happens here>

<insert plea for help here>
Am notified of private messages via email.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5404 on: May 19, 2015, 04:01:42 AM »

Random announcement: Resident ninja has become Australian. Now the flags in her signature stand for languages spoken, places lived in, and countries belonging to!
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

also my consolations for the schoolwork

edit: on another note i seem to be unable to stop listening to sea shantys, please send help
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:54:54 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #5405 on: May 19, 2015, 05:44:33 AM »
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

also my consolations for the schoolwork

edit: on another note i seem to be unable to stop listening to sea shantys, please send help

Consolations and congratulations accepted. *heartily wishing condolences would chip away at the massive amount of accounting work waiting for me, but no such luck*

Not being able to stop listening to sea shanties is not a bad thing. Continue as is! Sharing the better ones would be cool, too!
Am notified of private messages via email.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5406 on: May 19, 2015, 05:53:22 AM »
Not being able to stop listening to sea shanties is not a bad thing. Continue as is! Sharing the better ones would be cool, too!
I've had this 'problem' since I saw Storm Weather Shanty Choir live about two weeks ago.... Favourites include Hieland Loddie (WAY HEY AND AWAY WE GO HIELAND LODDIE BONNIE LADDIE HIELAND LODDIE BONNIE-OH), High Barbary, Bonnie Ship the Diamond, Ring Down Below, Drunken Sailor................. also i'm not sure whether health to the company is a shanty but it's also pretty catchy
you'll know where to find me.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5407 on: May 19, 2015, 06:07:02 AM »
The bugs are *slowly* coming out, and I nearly killed 2 of them. One a fly of sorts, and the other, a crawly. I think it jumps, but whatever. xD Pretty typical but annoying. They just appear in front of you like "Come at me bro".

I'm becoming more paranoid of flying volleyballs and insects day by day. I can't stand volleyballs being hit by other people at this point.

This is the worst part of spring. All the pests just come out of the woodwork to make your perfect sunny days a living hell. Not very fond of the gnats, not at all!

When I was younger they used to ruin my evenings when I was outside jumping on my trampoline. They ruined everything for me...

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #5408 on: May 19, 2015, 07:14:37 AM »
This is the worst part of spring. All the pests just come out of the woodwork to make your perfect sunny days a living hell. Not very fond of the gnats, not at all!

When I was younger they used to ruin my evenings when I was outside jumping on my trampoline. They ruined everything for me...

I don't mind the wildlife, its the pollen that gets me.  I'm currently spending the first hours of the day with my nose functioning as a waterfall, it is no fun I tell you.  Oh how I dream of a world of concrete, glass and metal, safe from the cruelties that nature wishes to inflict upon me.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5409 on: May 19, 2015, 07:21:14 AM »
Is it possible to get electrocuted if your laptop is plugged into the wall and there's a thunderstorm going on?
Because my laptop is plugged into the wall
And there's a thunderstorm going on  :-\
Compared to "tamed" forms of electricity like city power, lightning is teh havox and you're not going to get a guarantee. I still remember the times when people were told to unplug their TV and stay away from their (land line) telephone and the bathtub during a thunderstorm.

Having that said, I'm not aware of anyone who's gotten directly hurt by lightning within a building with proper grounding measures, ever. I'd be more worried about your laptop, if at all. (I.e., think about surge protectors.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5410 on: May 19, 2015, 07:24:22 AM »
I don't mind the wildlife, its the pollen that gets me.  I'm currently spending the first hours of the day with my nose functioning as a waterfall, it is no fun I tell you.  Oh how I dream of a world of concrete, glass and metal, safe from the cruelties that nature wishes to inflict upon me.

Mmm, a wilderness of stone and metal sounds very... lifeless, sterile. Not to mention boring. For all the hate I have for gnats, at least they make me appreciate the moments without them even more.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #5411 on: May 19, 2015, 07:34:43 AM »
Mmm, a wilderness of stone and metal sounds very... lifeless, sterile. Not to mention boring. For all the hate I have for gnats, at least they make me appreciate the moments without them even more.

Cities are never lifeless if you just scratch the surface.  And older cities that have grown naturally rather than being planned are beautiful.  But honestly I just want away from the pollen.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5412 on: May 19, 2015, 07:46:13 AM »
Oh how I dream of a world of concrete, glass and metal, safe from the cruelties that nature wishes to inflict upon me.

I'd assume most asthmatics would feel differently about that. Beijing is by some definitions a "world of concrete, glass and metal" with very little pollen, but it's still an asthmatic's nightmare.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #5413 on: May 19, 2015, 08:24:09 AM »

Woo!

...I will attempt to send virtual help, but I don't think that'll actually help you with any of the work you have to do.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #5414 on: May 19, 2015, 09:29:26 AM »
I'd assume most asthmatics would feel differently about that. Beijing is by some definitions a "world of concrete, glass and metal" with very little pollen, but it's still an asthmatic's nightmare.

Perhaps, but for me the countryside makes breathing and seeing difficult.  Horses for courses and all that.