Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410767 times)

Vafhudr

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4395 on: April 14, 2015, 07:06:22 PM »
The temperature here, in the Northwest Territories - or rather the seasons, can be divided into two.

Freezing. With temperatures oscillating between -40 and -50 celsius during the high winter months of January and February. Once the darkness begins to recede, we see a stabilization around -30 and -20 for most of March, and before that, for most of November and December. By April and May, we see a slight thawing on good years - temperatures hover between -20 and -10 degree celsius. At -5 everyone is in t-shirts.

By May spring is properly upon us and the lakes start to thaw. Most ice roads become close due to risk. Before the bridge was built, this mean a two weeks of foodstuff scarcity for the latter part of May as food flow from the south was blocked at the major river crossing on the Deh Cho river.

June through August is the other major season - Mosquitoes. Or Fire. Mosquitoes are a constant. Fires varies from year to years but they can be rather disruptive if they get close to the main roads or the main settlements. The air is usually filled with smoke.

By September we are squarely into Fall. By Halloween we usually have two feet of snow. Halloween tends to be super lame in that respect. People dressed for winter are not very impressive. Trick or treating for those who bother is done by cars, very often.

And the cycle repeats. The place is viciously dry - we have perhaps one week of rain during the summer. Snow precipitation is very low. And it's never the nice picturesque snow either. No snowball fights to be found up here. The snow eventually compacts into a layer of ice that covers the landscape.

A charming place.

Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4396 on: April 14, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »
Well I consider 30+ celcius to be comfortable so to me it is always chilly.  The carpeting is for insulation and it is just nice to walk on barefoot.  As for carpets in bathrooms, those are normally for the elderly to lower the risk of them slipping and hurting themselves, otherwise I agree about them being annoying.  Plus our tap setup is awesome :P

For those complaining about allergies, I can relate.  Give it a month or two and my airways will have pretty much shut down and will stay that way for several months, why do people like Spring so much?

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4397 on: April 15, 2015, 01:55:55 AM »
Welp, I finished the paper. Absolutely not the best thing I've written. But let's hope I just have that mentality because I'm tired. -_-

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4398 on: April 15, 2015, 02:12:11 AM »
Welp, I finished the paper. Absolutely not the best thing I've written. But let's hope I just have that mentality because I'm tired. -_-

Good for you for powering through it!  I'm impressed with your grit.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4399 on: April 15, 2015, 02:17:21 AM »
Good for you for powering through it!  I'm impressed with your grit.

[insert collapsed-on-the-floor emoticon] I'm rather impressed too, honestly.

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4400 on: April 15, 2015, 02:25:35 AM »
Now that you've written the hideous thing (and hopefully can spare a few minutes in the morning to proofread before printing), shouldn't you be turning in for the night?
(Yes, I am sounding just like your mother...  ;))
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4401 on: April 15, 2015, 02:37:42 AM »
Now that you've written the hideous thing (and hopefully can spare a few minutes in the morning to proofread before printing), shouldn't you be turning in for the night?
(Yes, I am sounding just like your mother...  ;))

I needed my relax time, okay? Gosh, Mom!! ;)
(I'll go post in the goodnight thread right now)

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #4402 on: April 15, 2015, 02:56:01 AM »
OK so this is totally new to me; getting up one hour earlier than I have to so that I can do the laundry before I go to school. Something to cross of the "Things I never thought I'd do, not because they seem impossible, but because I've just never thought to do them"-list

Yeah, it's 08:55 in the morning here in Norway, I don't know if peeps are awake now, but those who are: what's up?
• :norway: :usa: :uk: :denmark: :sweden: :germany: •

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4403 on: April 15, 2015, 04:55:14 AM »

I´m glad to hear that you made it through!
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #4404 on: April 15, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »
I got three sketchbooks. Three.

Oh hai there new art supplies.

And this thing I made in second grade which is the whole reason I brought that charcoal.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4405 on: April 15, 2015, 08:29:45 AM »

Yay! *cheers and confetti that are six hours too late*

I got three sketchbooks. Three.

Yessss art supplies. Charcoal is really fun, if you don't mind getting it everywhere. And more sketchbooks are always good.

...currently, though, I could probably start filling mine up faster. *has four five blank sketchbooks and two in progress ones*

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4406 on: April 15, 2015, 09:20:24 AM »
Charcoal is really fun, if you don't mind getting it everywhere.
Hehehe I can either go 100% charcoal enthusiasm or 0% charcoal enthusiasm, there is no in-between. O___O some days I'm super enthusiastic about the mess, next minute I'm like "GLOVES! I NEED GLOVES. AND A BIOHAZARD SUIT HELP ME A SPECK LANDED NOT ON THE PAPER THE END TIMES ARE HERE"

-----------

Hmmm this afternoon felt rather blargh. I don't know why even. Well maybe it was because my obsessively secretly dieting sister told me I was fat- but that rarely bothers me usually. I think I just felt stupid because I bought 2 wooly jumpers that were too big because the manufacturers changed the sizes, and another jumper that was too small despite being the biggest size available? Because THAT brand has made their sizes SMALLER. I just feel like I can't get anything right, even bloody simple stuff like grabbing some clothes from my go-to shop because I thought I knew the sizing after all my years shopping there and it being consistent until this year. And I feel dumb for not trying more than 1 on. (The small one) I dunno.
I literally spent about 4 hours trying to type up this thing about the gosh dang jumpers, but I just kept rage-quitting.
Also, I can't remember the last time I randomly cried for no reason- asides from the usual student stress etc- and I even made biscuits last night!! Maybe it was the cat meowing that got me upset? She does this meow thing where it's just constant, loud, obnoxious meows like a kid going "Mom! Mooooom!" (I use US spelling because I always remember some kid from a movie saying it and it annoyed me sooooo much XD some 90s film) every 2 seconds like the time signature for an energetic WALTZ. But she was just meowing to go outside because there was a wallaby in the paddock, and everyone was just ignoring her so she'd stop and I just cracked and got freaking tears in my dinner :/
Huh.
Got some video therapy which was good though. So I think I'm good.

However I do have a jumper that on me is a dress, and not even a good dress :I the other large jumper is manageable, and kinda cute in its own floppy way. However the small one (a size 14) has been adopted by my size 10 sisters, whom it fits perfectly. Go figure.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:24:56 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #4407 on: April 15, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »
Kentucky isn't much for seasons too. We have rain, sunny but raining, sunny going to rain, cloudy, and snow/hail. And I'm lucky to have seasonal allergies so every time the weather changes I can't breathe. So eh? I have no clue how I haven't smothered to death in my sleep. I've woken in panic cause I couldn't breathe. . . silly weather seems to want to kill me.

Seattle, to.
Winter: rainy, cold. occasional snowflake.
Spring: Rainy, less cold. occasional sun.
Summer: Less rainy, more sun.
Fall: Rainy. cold. windy.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4408 on: April 15, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
Hmmm this afternoon felt rather blargh. I don't know why even. Well maybe it was because my obsessively secretly dieting sister told me I was fat- but that rarely bothers me usually. I think I just felt stupid because I bought 2 wooly jumpers that were too big because the manufacturers changed the sizes, and another jumper that was too small despite being the biggest size available? Because THAT brand has made their sizes SMALLER. I just feel like I can't get anything right, even bloody simple stuff like grabbing some clothes from my go-to shop because I thought I knew the sizing after all my years shopping there and it being consistent until this year. And I feel dumb for not trying more than 1 on. (The small one) I dunno.
I literally spent about 4 hours trying to type up this thing about the gosh dang jumpers, but I just kept rage-quitting.
Also, I can't remember the last time I randomly cried for no reason- asides from the usual student stress etc- and I even made biscuits last night!! Maybe it was the cat meowing that got me upset? She does this meow thing where it's just constant, loud, obnoxious meows like a kid going "Mom! Mooooom!" (I use US spelling because I always remember some kid from a movie saying it and it annoyed me sooooo much XD some 90s film) every 2 seconds like the time signature for an energetic WALTZ. But she was just meowing to go outside because there was a wallaby in the paddock, and everyone was just ignoring her so she'd stop and I just cracked and got freaking tears in my dinner :/
Huh.
Got some video therapy which was good though. So I think I'm good.

Aw. Hope you feel better. In case you need more pillows or something the Comfort Corner is always open.  :)

And the clothes not fitting can be annoying. I have a similar problem because I'm small and short, and either U.S. manufacturers use a sliding scale of vanity-sizing or I don't go to the stores targeting younger people, which means that everybody seems has wildly different sizes depending on what store I go to/ what year it is. Sizing changes are annoying, especially when I expect something to be one size...and it's not. Maybe it's also because I also rarely go clothes-shopping for myself out of...apathy or laziness, hm.

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #4409 on: April 15, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »
I am back home! Of course, updates start next week, and school also starts next week. Well, it will be nice to be looking forward to updates after school.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?