Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387785 times)

Koeshi

• Scout
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3750 on: March 03, 2015, 05:24:12 PM »
It isn't unreasonable, it is good for all the students who don't exercise :D.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3751 on: March 03, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »
I like not to generalize, but thanks either way. To be fair, I sort of suck at being subtle myself.
Well, y'know... generally speaking, we're just not so great with hints.  I'm particularly bad with them, and I've actually told a couple of my friends to just be more direct with me. 
There are some exceptions but, for the most part... we won't mind if you generalize.  :)
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #3752 on: March 03, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »
Well, y'know... generally speaking, we're just not so great with hints.  I'm particularly bad with them, and I've actually told a couple of my friends to just be more direct with me. 
There are some exceptions but, for the most part... we won't mind if you generalize.  :)

(That was a generalization ;))
Generalizing makes me depressed, because generally, women dislike insects and don't become scientists. Then again, you sort of have to generalize a bit to function in society, so there's a dilemma. The world is difficult.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3753 on: March 03, 2015, 06:09:53 PM »
(That was a generalization ;))
Generalizing makes me depressed, because generally, women dislike insects and don't become scientists. Then again, you sort of have to generalize a bit to function in society, so there's a dilemma. The world is difficult.
Ah, so it was.  *actually didn't realize*
Aw, well it makes you stand out from the crowd!  Honestly, I hope whoever I end up with is okay with killing the bugs.  I can handle the snakes, if she can handle the bugs.  Also, I think I get where you're coming from.  Men are generally supposed to be tough go-getters, and not whatever I am.  :/  We'll just fly our little flag here at the forum and attract the other weird folks. 
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #3754 on: March 03, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »
Ah, so it was.  *actually didn't realize*
Aw, well it makes you stand out from the crowd!  Honestly, I hope whoever I end up with is okay with killing the bugs.  I can handle the snakes, if she can handle the bugs.  Also, I think I get where you're coming from.  Men are generally supposed to be tough go-getters, and not whatever I am.  :/  We'll just fly our little flag here at the forum and attract the other weird folks.

Hey, I'm all for non-gender-stereotypical people. :)
It's not like I'm the most feminine person around. Neither are my parents for that matter (gender-typical that is). My mom and I have a theory that more androgyneous people have happier relationships because feminine girls are generally attracted to, and end up with, more masculine guys, and vice-versa, while androgyneous people end up with people more similar to themselves. Just a theory though. Anyway, being very concerned with your own masculinity is an annoying trait, it's good you aren't.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #3755 on: March 03, 2015, 07:02:57 PM »
Well, those "random" people the world keeps throwing at us happen to be quite loaded dice. It seems that it and us have different definitions of "it's a rich, rich world". >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #3756 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:44 AM »
@ThisCat: Maybe my welcome is a bit late, but: It's good to have you back! :)

Today is one of the most bestest days for me because: I've found a job! 3,5 years as a Junior Researcher / Phd fellow / don't really know what my position is called abroad.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3757 on: March 04, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
Today is one of the most bestest days for me because: I've found a job! 3,5 years as a Junior Researcher / Phd fellow / don't really know what my position is called abroad.

Yaaay for Shen! Brava ;)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3758 on: March 04, 2015, 07:48:21 AM »

Yeah! So glad for you! *joins in the confetti*

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3759 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17:42 AM »
@ThisCat: Maybe my welcome is a bit late, but: It's good to have you back! :)

Congrats!  :)
Hope it works out well for you!
Feel free to PM.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3760 on: March 04, 2015, 08:38:15 AM »
Finally back from a 4 day lan party i had up in Kuusamo and god i'm tired. During the last two days i didn't sleep at all since my buss for home left at 6.45 am and i thought it would be a briliant idea to just play all day. 

The part where i just played was pritty fun and we yelled like maniacs since  we were playing league of legends and they gave out prizez for the tournament winners there.

The part where i had to leave was pritty dreadful since i had to carry my suitcase and bags for 1km to the buss station. Doesn't sound that bad untill you realize they have my computer inside and overall weigh around 40kg and on road there is around a 10cm deep layer of snow and it still is snowing more and more.

So i start slowly to dredge myself to the buss only to remember that i haven't eaten or slept in like 12 hours so i can barely walk 20m before i have to stop. So slowly i walk foward ready to fall facedown to the snow because of how tired i am, but still i go knowing it isn't going to be good to just stop and finally after 45 minutes i arrive at the bus. At the bus i hand the driver a receit for the ticket and after looking at it for a while he looks up at me and asks if i have any ID cards.

I slowly realize that i had none with me and at that point i was close to just sitting down on the ground and crying. Luckily the driver said " Just this once" and let me in. Rest of the trip went on without much drama. Now that it's the next day every muscle in my body feels like its burning and i can't move anything without it hurting.

So yeah, thats how i spent my weekend.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3761 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:49 AM »
Why do you need an ID card to get on a bus?

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3762 on: March 04, 2015, 09:00:42 AM »
It was not a ordinary one since it actually took me like 200km to south so you had to buy a ticket for it and since i bought mine online and only took the receit with me i should have had something to prove my identity.

JoB

« Reply #3763 on: March 04, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
Congratulations, and good luck with the PhD! (Doktorand, ja? Halbe oder volle WissMA-Stelle?)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #3764 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
The part where i had to leave was pritty dreadful since i had to carry my suitcase and bags for 1km to the buss station. Doesn't sound that bad untill you realize they have my computer inside and overall weigh around 40kg and on road there is around a 10cm deep layer of snow and it still is snowing more and more.
Ouch. :( Belated advice, it's been quite a while since I traveled by bus and train, but I never stopped using a large backpack (80 l range) instead of a suitcase for the brunt of my luggage. Takes some insistence (and extra straps to turn it into a blob with "no loops or somesuch sticking out!") to get on a flight with it, but still.