Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424473 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3765 on: March 04, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
At the bus i hand the driver a receit for the ticket and after looking at it for a while he looks up at me and asks if i have any ID cards.

I slowly realize that i had none with me and at that point i was close to just sitting down on the ground and crying. Luckily the driver said " Just this once" and let me in. Rest of the trip went on without much drama. Now that it's the next day every muscle in my body feels like its burning and i can't move anything without it hurting.
Why didn't you bring your credit card at least? That's one thing I always take with me when I'm out of town.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3766 on: March 04, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
Didn't want anything valuable to get stolen while i was there since where we slept anyone could have gotten in and taken my stuff with him. Hell even at the hall where we had our computers was open to anyone with a ticket and they didn't really take note of whose computers they were so i could literally taken a computer next to me with me and nonone would have noticed.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #3767 on: March 04, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »
Thanks everyone! *still dancing around the house*
@JoB: Ja, Doktorandin, Stelle als wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin auf 65% :)
@FinnishViking: I hope by now you have had some good sleep and food?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3768 on: March 04, 2015, 04:46:53 PM »
@ThisCat: Maybe my welcome is a bit late, but: It's good to have you back! :)

Today is one of the most bestest days for me because: I've found a job! 3,5 years as a Junior Researcher / Phd fellow / don't really know what my position is called abroad.

Definitely the most bestest day for you and everyone who's on your team (i.e. all of us).
Congratulations!   :D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #3769 on: March 04, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »
@Fen Shen: euuuh... Gratulierungen ? Ist das richtig ?
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3770 on: March 04, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »
Thanks everyone! *still dancing around the house*
@JoB: Ja, Doktorandin, Stelle als wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin auf 65% :)
@FinnishViking: I hope by now you have had some good sleep and food?

Well the day i got home essentially went by with me eating and then sleeping for 18h. Still this day has been somewhat similiar in the sense that i still feel reaally tired, but i feel a lot better compared to yesterday.

Btw where are actually going to work?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3771 on: March 04, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
I did something I usually don't do and went with my sis to Bergen to listen to the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra performing video game music with a Swedish opera singer. My body was not ready. It was basically two hours of constant goosebumps, and at the end when they rolled out a 15 minute Legend of Zelda suite I'm pretty sure I was feeling a bit lightheaded. Watching orchestras on youtube/listening to orchestras as mp3 files is one thing, actually sitting in front of one...

It goes without saying that the orchestra received standing ovations from a chock-full concert hall.

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3772 on: March 04, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »
I did something I usually don't do and went with my sis to Bergen to listen to the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra performing video game music with a Swedish opera singer. My body was not ready. It was basically two hours of constant goosebumps, and at the end when they rolled out a 15 minute Legend of Zelda suite I'm pretty sure I was feeling a bit lightheaded. Watching orchestras on youtube/listening to orchestras as mp3 files is one thing, actually sitting in front of one...

It goes without saying that the orchestra received standing ovations from a chock-full concert hall.

Man my kid self and adult self are fighting it out about how lame/cool that is...

But yeah thats pritty amazing! Did they do any other video game music and may you perhaps post any videos/mp3's if you know of any?

Also glad that you had a good night!  ;D

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3773 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »
Man my kid self and adult self are fighting it out about how lame/cool that is...

But yeah thats pritty amazing! Did they do any other video game music and may you perhaps post any videos/mp3's if you know of any?

Also glad that you had a good night!  ;D
What could possibly be lame about it?
I don't have any videos and I don't think there are any, they are pretty strict about their no-recording policy, more so than the cinemas even.
The full programme was:
Austin Wintory: I Was Born for This, from Journey
Brian Tyler: Suite from Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
Nobu Uematsu: Main Theme from Final Fantasy VII
Hiroki Kikuta: Fear of the Heavens, from Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana)
Commodore 64 - Medley
Mahito Yokota & Koji Kondo: Super Mario-suite
Knut Avenstroup Haugen: Age of Conan Hyborian Adventures - Nighttime Journey Through The Eiglophian Mountains
Lorne Balfe: Jodie's Suite, from Beyond Two Souls
Masato Nakamura: Medley from Sonic the Hedgehog
Simon Hale: Main Theme from L.A. Noire
Gustavo Santaolalla: All Gone (No Escape) from The Last of Us
Koji Kondo: Suite from The Legend of Zelda
Jeremy Soule: The Dragonborn Comes from Skyrim

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3774 on: March 04, 2015, 07:19:22 PM »
Well now that i listened to few of those yeah... They indeed are not in any shape or form "lame"...

Seriously only the dragonborn one got me all goosebumped and with a whole orchestra playing for two hours that level of epicness?

*screams like a child inside* why can't we ( in finland ) have nice things?

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3775 on: March 04, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »

*Wishes to have been there*  :O 
That sounds... absolutely amazing.  The only thing that could make that list of songs better is including some Shadow of the Colossus music, and ending with "I was Born for This."  That Zelda medley must've been awesome.  We'll need to get you out to MAGFest, next year! 

Well now that i listened to few of those yeah... They indeed are not in any shape or form "lame"...

Seriously only the dragonborn one got me all goosebumped and with a whole orchestra playing for two hours that level of epicness?

*screams like a child inside* why can't we ( in finland ) have nice things?
The internet has many nice things.  :)
Listen to some Zelda and Final Fantasy (specifically, Final Fantasy 6,7, and 10) music, if you have the time.  So much good stuff to listen to...
Feel free to PM.

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3776 on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:14 PM »
*Wishes to have been there*  :O 
That sounds... absolutely amazing.  The only thing that could make that list of songs better is including some Shadow of the Colossus music, and ending with "I was Born for This."  That Zelda medley must've been awesome.  We'll need to get you out to MAGFest, next year! 
The internet has many nice things.  :)
Listen to some Zelda and Final Fantasy (specifically, Final Fantasy 6,7, and 10) music, if you have the time.  So much good stuff to listen to...

*Is about to listen to it, realizes it's 2am, but says nah and listens to it anyway*

ahh thanks internet indeed is a good place for ones who can't move far away.

But i think i was a bit too rash in my words. Finland does have some good stuff.  :)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3777 on: March 05, 2015, 12:02:10 AM »
*Is about to listen to it, realizes it's 2am, but says nah and listens to it anyway*

But i think i was a bit too rash in my words. Finland does have some good stuff.  :)

Korpiklaani... I was about to say "awww how pretty, such nice folk music" and then the savage Finnish marauders started singing and now I'm scared.  :( Is this what you young people call "metal"? 

Anyway, I can see why Korpiklaani is awesome... it's just too much awesome for me.  Do they sing anything that doesn't use the scary voices?  ;)

Meanwhile, I'm sticking with Sibelius, who was pretty epic for his time.  I bet he'd be scoring video games nowadays.  F.V., do you know his Kullervo music
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3778 on: March 05, 2015, 04:30:26 AM »

Awww yes!  I love Korpiklaani, listen to them in the car on the way to work everyday, hopefully I will see them at Bloodstock this year :D

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3779 on: March 05, 2015, 06:08:21 AM »
Korpiklaani... I was about to say "awww how pretty, such nice folk music" and then the savage Finnish marauders started singing and now I'm scared.  :( Is this what you young people call "metal"? 

Anyway, I can see why Korpiklaani is awesome... it's just too much awesome for me.  Do they sing anything that doesn't use the scary voices?  ;)

Meanwhile, I'm sticking with Sibelius, who was pretty epic for his time.  I bet he'd be scoring video games nowadays.  F.V., do you know his Kullervo music?

It indeed is what i call metal, but i understand if one doesn't enjoy it since my upbringing included being bombarded by so many different genres of music.

My liking for metal i got from my big brother, Classical music i learned to enjoy from my father and mother who used to play stuff like Sibelius, Bach and Vivaldi and the finnish rock from 70's to early late 90's i learned about from my yonger big brother and mother who used to play many classic songs from them.

I guess the crowly voices are a thing in finnish metal since i found it really difficult to find songs without them and i personally too aren't the biggest fan.

Still here are some songs i personally enjoy taht aren't the crowly sort.
Stuff like
For your rock and feels tunes you have Hector

Then for your bit more light hearted rock you have Leevi and the leavings

and then perhaps if you trust me with heavy metal heres some noncrowling stuff from Turisas

These are all things i might listen during one day and once i even had a playlist for "All" where i mixed up every track of music i had ever heard and liked. I think i got to like 1000 before even i got irritated by it.