Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410983 times)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18900 on: February 02, 2021, 02:28:20 AM »
Have other people here ever broke their heads about this? (Dunno a better english version of "sich den Kopf über etwas zerbrechen", which means thinking very hard about something)

"Breaking your head" is perfectly acceptable and understandable English, although we'd probably say "brain" rather than head, which makes it clear you're talking about thinking, rather than physical injury. You can also "wrack" your brain, although that tends to refer to trying really hard to remember something or to create a solution to a problem.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #18901 on: February 06, 2021, 11:16:11 AM »
An idea here: what if one make an additional board or at lest topic here about ancient religions? Just as about languages, what d'ya thik?)
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #18902 on: February 07, 2021, 02:43:01 PM »
An idea here: what if one make an additional board or at lest topic here about ancient religions? Just as about languages, what d'ya thik?)
I think it would be interesting. I've been thinking about a SSSS story where some characters worship the Roman gods, while others keep the faith on the One God from the Abrahamic religions...
Did you check if there's already something over that topic? This Forum is a large space, and I'm far from knowing all the corners...
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18903 on: February 07, 2021, 04:41:22 PM »
Maglor, you are free to open a thread! Depending on your point of view, it could go either on the General board (discussion about ancient religions in general) or the SSSS board (focusing on how various faiths would be in the SSSS setting). But as Grey suggested, do take a look around. If you find an existing thread that is close enough to what you had in mind, you can resurrect it (i.e. just post in it).
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18904 on: February 07, 2021, 05:49:46 PM »
Maglor, sounds interesting. As Grey suggested, try exploring the Forum. There have been many such discussions on a number of different threads already. And many of the fanfic writers have played with such ideas already - I particularly enjoyed Wavewright’s ‘Thanksgiving at the Last Curry House in New Jersey’ which is on Archive of Our Own.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #18905 on: February 08, 2021, 03:35:17 AM »
I've been thinking about a SSSS story where some characters worship the Roman gods
Spoiler: since the back-then emperor is an unlikely candidate ... • show

... are we talking about Jove's gang, Mithras, Glycon, or D) all of the above? ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18906 on: February 08, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
I think it would be interesting. I've been thinking about a SSSS story where some characters worship the Roman gods, while others keep the faith on the One God from the Abrahamic religions...
Did you check if there's already something over that topic? This Forum is a large space, and I'm far from knowing all the corners...

Psst, this might come up in the current roleplay. At least Leif gave Dísa enough background-information about it.

Independant from that, I for one would love a hypothetical story about that!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #18907 on: February 08, 2021, 10:48:05 AM »
Spoiler: since the back-then emperor is an unlikely candidate ... • show

... are we talking about Jove's gang, Mithras, Glycon, or D) all of the above? ;)

TBH I was thinking only in Jove's gang (which is already quite large).
I had a vague recollection about Mithras but didn't remember/knew about Glycon (which sounds good* as a name!).
But now, thanks to you, I already found places for them all in the story! :)
(except for the emperor's ghost... wait! That may also fit... )

* So "soundy" it is that, inevitably, someone already registered it! You know where? Germany!
Spoiler: show
https://www.glycon-biochem.eu/
(one wonders which strange chemistries may happen inside that factory...) 
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

JoB

« Reply #18908 on: February 08, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »
TBH I was thinking only in Jove's gang (which is already quite large).
Indeed, and I suppose that different people - Romans as well as historians - will have rather different opinions of which deities actually should be considered proper gang members or not. Gods/religions getting readily "adopted" into the Roman culture, and then subsequently identified with some sorta-similar ones, doesn't help proper categorization, either.

I had a vague recollection about Mithras but didn't remember/knew about Glycon
(That one is quite an outlier.)

So "soundy" it is that, inevitably, someone already registered it! You know where? Germany!
https://www.glycon-biochem.eu/
(one wonders which strange chemistries may happen inside that factory...) 

I'm not sure that that one actually is a reference to Glycon the Emilified Orm. There's a ton of chemistry terms with "glyco-" for a word stem, from glycol (infamous wine additive) to glycosylation to GSD I to ...
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #18909 on: February 12, 2021, 04:56:01 PM »
Thanks for your kind responses. I melt away... And thankfully this feeling doesn’t hurt.
Wow, I notice, my English is *really* terrible, when it comes to talking about everyday stuff & expressing feelings. Time to change this. :D
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #18910 on: February 13, 2021, 11:39:44 AM »
Wow, I notice, my English is *really* terrible, when it comes to talking about everyday stuff & expressing feelings. Time to change this. :D
Believe me, Grupoid, that you're not the first that feel this delightful community as a great motivator for developing one's English skills.
I even started writing fanfics in English, something that I'd never thought about before!
(And I'm still struggling to become better at it, but I'm a pretty stubborn person... )

I'm not sure that that one actually is a reference to Glycon the Emilified Orm. There's a ton of chemistry terms with "glyco-" for a word stem, from glycol (infamous wine additive) to glycosylation to GSD I to ...
Yes, yes, but look at Pentaethylene Glycol and tell me that it doesn't look a bit like a snake... :) Who knows what they are brewing at night inside that factory?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 01:19:39 PM by thegreyarea »

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18911 on: February 13, 2021, 01:12:55 PM »
Believe me, Grupoid, that you're not the first that fell this delightful community as a great motivator for developing one's English skills.
I even started writing fanfics in English, something that I'd never thought about before!
(And I'm still struggling to become better at it, but I'm a pretty stubborn person... )
This is very true! I have managed to jump over myself and start translating my stories into english, so that more people can read them, mostly because I got inspired by this community.
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18912 on: February 14, 2021, 02:03:58 AM »
And I am glad for the efforts of both of you! A good story transcends language.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

« Reply #18913 on: February 14, 2021, 03:27:36 AM »
Yes, yes, but look at Pentaethylene Glycol and tell me that it doesn't look a bit like a snake... :) Who knows what they are brewing at night inside that factory?

Bah, that's just a Kohlenstoffkettenmolekül that's given itself airs (oxygen). ;D If you want microsnakes, get your hands on some heavy crude oil or, even better, bitumen and look for the higher alkanes therein - or knock yourself out with some Wittig reaction (which was used to artificially create alkanes of defined lengths up to 390 C's, on par with the number of vertebrae in snakes :betterhat: ).

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #18914 on: February 14, 2021, 06:13:24 AM »
And I am glad for the efforts of both of you! A good story transcends language.
Thank you, Róisín! I'll keep trying to make them better!

Bah, that's just a Kohlenstoffkettenmolekül that's given itself airs (oxygen). ;D If you want microsnakes, get your hands on some heavy crude oil or, even better, bitumen and look for the higher alkanes therein - or knock yourself out with some Wittig reaction (which was used to artificially create alkanes of defined lengths up to 390 C's, on par with the number of vertebrae in snakes :betterhat: ).
Wow, these are really looooooong! But I was worried at first because the typicalGermanefficiencythatremovesspacesbetweenwords makes those, as you probably know, quite intimidating for a non-German speaker. :)
However I'm still worried that some Glykonanbeter may be cooking some hinterhältige Verschwörung to fill the world with snakes and handle it to their god. There are already some very small ones that can hide almost anywhere...

And there may be "microsnakes" in unsuspected places...
https://www.ineffableisland.com/2013/04/micro-snakes-discovered-in-human-cells.html
(note 1: don't start screaming, snake-phobic friends, they just look like snakes :) But the guy that wrote the title knows how to attract clicks...)
(note 2: those pieces in German are entirely provided by our friend Google. I have no idea if they are accurate, since my domain of the language doesn't go much beyond Guten Tag and Achtung! Oh, and Ausfahrt, that I already mentioned before :) )
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:26:23 AM by thegreyarea »