Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2566290 times)

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18885 on: January 18, 2021, 09:11:54 PM »
Vulpes, what have you started?

Spoiler: show
Let's Bake
(from Chris Rea's Let's Dance)

When we think of the times before COVID came
We all know, things may never be the same
We're caught in a world full of tears
So many sad times and fears
So while there's a chance for some cheer
Well, let's bake
Yeah, yeah, let's bake
Ah, yeah
There's a world left behind that we'll never see
There's a dream of times long ago
One thing is certainly true
We can try our best to pull through
And there's a few things we can do
So let's bake
Yeah, yeah, let's bake
Ah, yeah, yeah
So let's bake
Let's bake
Let's bake
Let's bake
So let's bake
Ah, let's bake
Let's bake
Ah, yeah, yeah, yeah
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18886 on: January 18, 2021, 09:33:27 PM »
Oh my gosh, Annuil, those are beautiful! What's the filling? What's the cookie? What's your secret??  O_O
Thanks! The filling is Nutella mixed with cookie crumbs and a tiny bit of milk  ;D
I used this recipe https://diethood.com/peach-cookies-recipe/ but instead of liquor that is suggests for the colouring of them I used peach juice  ;)
It’s really fun to make and there is more art of decoration than actual baking  ;D
You basically bake the cookies that are two parts of one peach, get rid of the inside of them, fill the little wells with Nutella, press them together, dip into colored liquid (liquor, juice, milk), dip into sugar and add a little mint leaf on top :sparkle: ;D

They look very special and are great for COVID depression as far as I can tell  ;) :reynir:
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #18887 on: January 19, 2021, 11:09:51 AM »
Vulpes, what have you started?

Spoiler: show
Let's Bake
(from Chris Rea's Let's Dance)

When we think of the times before COVID came
We all know, things may never be the same
We're caught in a world full of tears
So many sad times and fears
So while there's a chance for some cheer
Well, let's bake
Yeah, yeah, let's bake
Ah, yeah
There's a world left behind that we'll never see
There's a dream of times long ago
One thing is certainly true
We can try our best to pull through
And there's a few things we can do
So let's bake
Yeah, yeah, let's bake
Ah, yeah, yeah
So let's bake
Let's bake
Let's bake
Let's bake
So let's bake
Ah, let's bake
Let's bake
Ah, yeah, yeah, yeah

;D

That's great! Glad I could provide some inspiration.

Annuil, thanks for the recipe link. I doubt I have the patience to make them look as lovely as yours - my baking tends to be a bit utilitarian - but it's always fun to try.

Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18888 on: January 19, 2021, 07:16:40 PM »
Both the cookies and the song are great! Good for the lockdown depression!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18889 on: January 19, 2021, 08:56:29 PM »
What awesome filks!  I find I get less fussy with the presentation on lockdown cooking (although I admit that presentation is never my strong suit). 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #18890 on: January 20, 2021, 01:04:41 PM »
.... I certainly was not expecting "cocaine hippos" to be a thing in my news feed today...

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/18/americas/colombia-pablo-escobar-hippos-scli-intl-scn/index.html

And yet, here we are.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #18891 on: January 21, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »
Wonderful songs and cookies! Now I feel like baking too...
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #18892 on: January 21, 2021, 04:47:31 PM »
Wonderful songs and cookies! Now I feel like baking too...
Indeed! Thanks also!
It's always a great feeling when you inspire someone  ;D
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

MagusVerborum

• Super-Newbie
  • Magician of Words
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #18893 on: January 30, 2021, 10:00:57 PM »
I'm having a quiet day today. Catching up on some YouTube videos. Yesterday was action-packed by my standards jumping from running D&D in the morning, recording my radio show in the afternoon, and having a belated New Years celebration party in the evening (it got pushed back until COVID restrictions eased in my zone). Too much excitement for an introvert like me...

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #18894 on: February 01, 2021, 07:52:54 AM »
In a moment of foolishness, I rose to a taunt after making a quip on YouTube, and some jerk chose to try and rile me with some snide comments. Sad to say, I responded.

I had watched a video on Mark Felton's military history channel. There's a kind of convention when replying soon after a video is posted to make a joke; "Last time I was this early... " (insert historical reference here).
I made a joke based on obscure trivia (my forte) and...

Yastreb
Last time I was this early, the Luftwaffe had yet to choose between the Messerschmitt Bf-109 and the Heinkel He-112 as its front line fighter.
randommental
Let me fix it for you: Last time I was this early, Hitler had two balls.
Yastreb 1 hour ago
@randommental Better to be an original joke than just another retelling of something old... just saying.
randommental
Yastreb - You dont understand 'funny', do you? Are you 12 years old or something?
Yastreb
@randommental I was trying for subtlety. I wasn't expecting to be pulled over by the Humour Police.
randommental
Yastreb - Humorless, and a hypocrite. What are you complaining about 'old jokes' for when a) the subject is history, and b) you evidently wouldnt know 'funny' if it shot you in the face with a Luger.
Yastreb
@randommental Randommental is more like judgemental and unoriginal and just a tad spiteful.

I'd forgotten an important rule about feeding trolls, as in, don't.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18895 on: February 01, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »
Don't worry Yastreb, it happens to everyone! Although I have to say the "are you 12 years old" was a bit...Well. Never mind :)

MagusVerborum, is your avatar your own art? Amazing!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #18896 on: February 01, 2021, 04:11:16 PM »
Yastreb, wow. That escalated quickly. It’s a bit sad, that such a carefully chosen phrase (what are those planes even...) ended in such an acidic encounter.

I’m conflicted about adding licenses to "works" I publish. I’d like to say "use this in whatever way you want" or "use this however you want but mention that you used material of me" in a way that is both assuring for other artists and not overly in-the-face for non-artists. And my perfectionism wants to be certain that it is somehow "legally waterthight", which I can’t really guarantee myself, because I don’t know these legal stuffs very well.
How about this: stating a license is a guarantee for the "user" of the "work" that the creator won’t sue them. So when I intend to share something under e.g. CC0 or CC-BY, then it doesn’t matter whether the way I mentioned the license is "legally waterthight", since I won’t sue them (as long as I don’t think the license is violated), "wo kein Kläger, da kein Richter". I probably will never sue anybody about any work of mine, ’cause I don’t expect me to create anything that anyone else would want to plagiarize etc...

What am I getting all worked up about this? I didn’t even create much. Probably my perfectionism and the "publish nothing without a license" of programming which combine. I could well do with less of the former.

So thanks for playing rubber-ducky. I settled on attaching "License: CC BY 4.0" or similar to the music-scores I make. I’m not so sure about texts & pictures...

Have other people here ever broke their heads about this? (Dunno a better english version of "sich den Kopf über etwas zerbrechen", which means thinking very hard about something)

P.S.: It’s great how one can do time-travel on the forum. I found a post/time where Haiz wasn’t feeling well. And I thought: wow, this person is very much like me. ~20, never had a job, no driving license, some difficulty studying (my difficulty is different), living with the parents. Well, the last point is different starting today. I moved. So stressful & tiring I tell you, but hopefully worth it. Nothing I did was physically tiring, but I was just hit with waves of feelings that made me tired & stressed. Also, the feeling "very spoiled and privileged" I can also feel very much. I’ll be reading more into that time-period after finishing the edit.
Is this whole forum a place where people can come to talk, like a bar or "general meeting place" or "shared living room"? Because I so much long for something like that. I so much miss (just) talking to people and not having to think thrice about what I say, as I often do when writing.
It seems weird to me, that this is all bubbling up in me. I think I’ll go to bed soon, today was stressful. And the near future will be a little stressful as well. Well. Be well everyone.
P.P.S.: Ooh, forgot to mention: I already saw Haiz’s art and posts and thought "that’s a nice person making nice art etc.", and the above-mentioned post made me think "if this person is/was so similar to me now, I think I can be nice as well etc.". For some appropriate definition of "nice" of course.
And note, that I didn’t read the earlier description of Haiz’ experiences before the above linked post before writing the above. They seem a bit more dissimilar to mine.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 04:47:58 PM by Groupoid »
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18897 on: February 01, 2021, 05:36:02 PM »
Groupoid, there are a lot of discussions to “just talk” on this i.e. the General board, and its sub-board Personal. Take a look around and resurrect a discussion you are interested in, or start a new one. Just mind the boards, i.e. SSSS-related stuff goes to the SSSS board, and non-SSSS stuff goes elsewhere. Politics only in the Politics board, which will become visible to you when you become an established discusser here. Anything not suitable to be posted as PG-13 goes strictly to the mature board, and so on. Se pe the Forum rules and you’ll be good! We are a frienly and active bunch, and have people in many time zones, so you’ll likely find someone to talk with :)

There are also discord and irc servers, should you run out of topics here. And Archive of Our Own for all your fanfiction needs!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18898 on: February 01, 2021, 06:57:01 PM »
Jitter has the right of it.  There is a voice chat channel on the Discord, but I've never participated (mostly due to time zones).  Many of the regulars are Europeans, so may be in your general time zone.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #18899 on: February 01, 2021, 07:13:52 PM »
Seconding all Jitter said, Grupoid. :)

This Forum is a great place where you will find kind people willing to talk about pretty much everything, from ancient war tactics to biscuit recipes, passing through art, magic, stories, life experiences and much more. I'm sure you will find people willing to talk and share their thoughts and knowledge.

Wave, you remind me that I must find time to get back on Discord... But just keeping up with the comments and the Forum is already hard... Now, about voice chat, I don't know if my terribly rusted spoken English would be up to the task :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society