Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387207 times)

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3120 on: January 22, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
My new, freshman roommate is actually showering with a woman right now.  -__-
It's 11:00 a.m., for crying out loud; I'm sitting here doing homework. 
Gonna need to have a talk with him later about location...

Couldn't he at least warn you about his plans? :/ My friend lives in a dorm, and when her rommate brings a boyfriend over, they always agree about date and time in advance, so my friend can plan a meeting or something to be out on that exact evening.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3121 on: January 22, 2015, 11:17:32 AM »
The dorms I lived in had such tiny showers I was genuinely surprised when one of my roommates managed to squeeze herself AND a guy in there.
Heh, we have an apartment on-campus.  The shower has a full tub.
Kinda moldy though.  Definitely not the best for... certain activities. 

Couldn't he at least warn you about his plans? :/ My friend lives in a dorm, and when her rommate brings a boyfriend over, they always agree about date and time in advance, so my friend can plan a meeting or something to be out on that exact evening.
Seriously wish he could.  But he's two years below me and my other roommate, and it's his first semester at our school, so I guess he just doesn't know roommate etiquette, yet?  Either way, it's kind of early in the day!
Feel free to PM.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #3122 on: January 22, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
Seriously wish he could.  But he's two years below me and my other roommate, and it's his first semester at our school, so I guess he just doesn't know roommate etiquette, yet?  Either way, it's kind of early in the day!

It's not just a rommate etiquette, it seems more like general etiquette to me :/ Whenever someone has to share dwelling with you, they have to count your interests as well as their own. Well, I just hope this fellow will understand your reasons and will refrain from doing this in the future.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3123 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:30 AM »
My new, freshman roommate is actually showering with a woman right now.  -__-
It's 11:00 a.m., for crying out loud; I'm sitting here doing homework. 
Gonna need to have a talk with him later about location...
Just be glad that's the most outrageous thing he's done. I lived in a 12-person dorm when I studied abroad and the things I've experienced *Vietnam flashbacks*
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:49:44 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3124 on: January 22, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
Just be glad that's the most outrageous thing he's done. I lived in a 12-person dorm when I studied abroad and the things I've experienced *vietnam flashbacks*
*Snaps fingers*  Snap out of it, Fim!
General discussion thread -> Roommate stories thread.

Yeah, this is much better than the arrangements I had freshman year.
The neighbors... the neighbors!  The doors had very large gaps underneath them, so you could hear everything that was going on.  Quite possibly their worst offense was during the week of final exams, when they were playing Kick the Can in the hallway at 2 in the morning.  I had a math final at 8:00...  Still, most of them changed majors because they couldn't make the cut, so I don't even have to see them in class anymore!
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3125 on: January 22, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
Huh!? What!? Oh. Ooh, chicken curry!

Still, most of them changed majors because they couldn't make the cut, so I don't even have to see them in class anymore!
This. The number of people who go into higher education for all the wrong reasons and with very limited ideas about what they are even doing in higher ed is too darn high. Reminds me about this one guy in my dorm who was a UFC-type tournament fighter with very obvious brain damage. One night he deliberately punched the kitchen door window so it broke. Another roomie stepped in it and got nasty cuts on his feet so that he had to sit out the soccer tournament. Needless to say this guy flunked hard.

General discussion thread -> Roommate stories thread.

you could hear everything that was going on.
*back into flashback mode*

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:35:05 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3126 on: January 22, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
The neighbors... the neighbors!  The doors had very large gaps underneath them, so you could hear everything that was going on.  Quite possibly their worst offense was during the week of final exams, when they were playing Kick the Can in the hallway at 2 in the morning.  I had a math final at 8:00...  Still, most of them changed majors because they couldn't make the cut, so I don't even have to see them in class anymore!
Heh, my floor-mates aren't that bad, but for the majority of first semester, my next-door neighbors would be screaming like they were at a party every night. Sometimes it almost sounded like they were having screaming contests. And they'd always have their door open. This stopped, thankfully, when someone from the suite below them complained about the noise on facebook.
And also, I might have mentioned it before, but my roommate always seems to think that the appropriate time to call her boyfriend is one in the morning... Also she's stopped asking me if her boyfriend can come over before she brings her boyfriend over. And he always stays the whole weekend and then they never leave the room. And it's not like *I* ever leave the room either, so it's always just really uncomfortable.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #3127 on: January 22, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
And he always stays the whole weekend and then they never leave the room.

Don't you have a dorm rule that restricts visiting time? In our dorms you can't invite more than two people per one dorm dweller, and they have to leave before 23:00 (you can always agree with warden for a reasonable price, but still...)

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3128 on: January 22, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »
Don't you have a dorm rule that restricts visiting time? In our dorms you can't invite more than two people per one dorm dweller, and they have to leave before 23:00 (you can always agree with warden for a reasonable price, but still...)

I don't know the rules, but weekends are allowed. I assume the rules would be more restricted during the week. We have to sign a pass for overnight visitors. In theory, I could just refuse to sign the pass, but the guy has to pay twelve dollars to get a train to the city so that would be mean anyway.

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3129 on: January 22, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »

... my roommate always seems to think that the appropriate time to call her boyfriend is one in the morning... Also she's stopped asking me if her boyfriend can come over before she brings her boyfriend over. And he always stays the whole weekend and then they never leave the room. And it's not like *I* ever leave the room either, so it's always just really uncomfortable.

All in one room?  Oof.  If I were the visitor in that situation, I'd never feel comfortable enough to... um... never mind.  [Reaches for brain bleach.]

I guess I was lucky.  Although there weren't restrictions at my all-female college about male visitors, neither my freshman nor sophomore-year roommates ever wanted guys to spend the night.  (Lots of guys dropped by, of course, but the presence of a beady-eyed, resentful young Sunflower seemed to put a damper on their plans for romance.  And they were dorky enough that my roommates seemed grateful for an excuse to send them home.)

My most vivid experience came the first weekend of freshman year, when on Saturday morning I wandered into the bathroom that served the whole dorm floor.  In my flannel nightie, because I expected to see only other girls, of course. 

I bumped into a young man wearing only a pair of horn-rimmed specs and a small towel.  I flinched, squeaked "Ooh!  I... uh... forgot my toothpaste!" and ran for the door.  (It turned out he was the fiance of one of the seniors.  Later, I got to know both of them better, and he always teased me about "how we met.")
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #3130 on: January 22, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »
All in one room?  Oof.  If I were the visitor in that situation, I'd never feel comfortable enough to... um... never mind.  [Reaches for brain bleach.]

I guess I was lucky.  Although there weren't restrictions at my all-female college about male visitors, neither my freshman nor sophomore-year roommates ever wanted guys to spend the night.  (Lots of guys dropped by, of course, but the presence of a beady-eyed, resentful young Sunflower seemed to put a damper on their plans for romance.  And they were dorky enough that my roommates seemed grateful for an excuse to send them home.)

My most vivid experience came the first weekend of freshman year, when on Saturday morning I wandered into the bathroom that served the whole dorm floor.  In my flannel nightie, because I expected to see only other girls, of course. 

I bumped into a young man wearing only a pair of horn-rimmed specs and a small towel.  I flinched, squeaked "Ooh!  I... uh... forgot my toothpaste!" and ran for the door.  (It turned out he was the fiance of one of the seniors.  Later, I got to know both of them better, and he always teased me about "how we met.")

Now you got me thinking over whether bathroom facilities in places like Keuruu are co-ed or not...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #3131 on: January 22, 2015, 02:50:23 PM »
Quakenet does not like me anymore. No chatting for me it seems (until someone comes over to tinychat).

My ma got burried FINALLY, still her death certificate cannot be made, cause authorities still have not enough valid documents stating her Identitiy. Somehow they were unable to read the ENGLISH entries where her name, maiden name and such are written. So we will have fun for some month with the german authorities and guess what, the Greek will join them during the next weeks, until we have found an acknowled translator.

But the funeral was as nice as such an event could be. Some people showed up rather unexpected and it was nice to learn what nice colleague she seems to have been at work. Some laughter was present as well, which was kind of a relieve.

ah and damn nerd brain of mine the numbers identifiying the tree she is burried beneath are 4² and 4³...
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3132 on: January 22, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »

Yup. And my room is nine by eleven feet, very small. But no, no, no, they never, um, do anything while I'm in the room, ohhh no. They usually just lie in bed watching movies or TV show on my roommate's laptop.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3133 on: January 22, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »
Now you got me thinking over whether bathroom facilities in places like Keuruu are co-ed or not...
Individual.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #3134 on: January 22, 2015, 03:49:54 PM »
Individual.
Seems like a waste of space... but I guess those finns strike me as people who are likely to value their privacy...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden: