Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409668 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18600 on: September 04, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »
Bit late because travelling, but the forum turned 5 on Monday :> It's always a good thing to drop back in here, even if it's a bit quieter these days<3

It's always good to see you.  You're right, it has been a lot more quiet, but we did manage a little celebration: FIVE - 5th Anniversary fanworks collection
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18601 on: September 05, 2019, 02:57:05 PM »
It seems quite a bit more quiet on the page comments as well - I wasn’t around at the time but noticed there were well over 1000 comments on pages in 2016 and so. Nowadays we sometimes get to around 600 over weekends or so, but normally have something between 300-500 I think.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18602 on: September 05, 2019, 05:56:06 PM »
It seems quite a bit more quiet on the page comments as well - I wasn’t around at the time but noticed there were well over 1000 comments on pages in 2016 and so. Nowadays we sometimes get to around 600 over weekends or so, but normally have something between 300-500 I think.

Yes, the fandom is more quiet.  In the days of 1000+ comments, we did get quite a bit of comments solely about the number of comments, enough that Minna had to tell us to cut it out.  There was also a lot of speculation about the characters that had been hinted at in concept art but not yet introduced and how they would come into the story, Reynir in particular.  (This gave rise to the drinking game for all the people misgendering the new characters.)  Once the characters were introduced and they were trundling through Copenhagen & Odense, things settled a bit, and then we had a few controversies roll through.   As the story got darker and more tense, especially after Tuuri was stricken, the fandom got more subdued still. 

As we have seen with Adv. II, there's still a heckuva lot of backstory & worldbuilding to tune into for those of us who are here for the long haul.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #18603 on: September 06, 2019, 08:22:28 AM »
That era was also when quite a few people dropped off simply because of the volume of conversation going on - it could get a bit stressful. I completely stopped participating in the comments myself back then and didn't really get back into it. I might get back to it when I catch up on the comic again :> (primary reason why I'm hardly ever active on the SSSS board these days, haha)
Am notified of private messages via email.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18604 on: September 06, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »
Yeah, I spend far too much time in the comments as it is! I don’t really want to post something that already has been posted so I keep going through them too many times. It’s not a very good platform for longer discussion as you only get notified of replies immediately under your own comments. The threads here work better. But of course the forum is farther away from the actual content, and has the added problem that registering takes very many tries.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18605 on: September 12, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »
I see the official InkTober list is up for 2019.  In past years I made up a separate SSSS-specific list of prompts and then personally mostly made images that suited both the SSSS and official prompts. I figured for this year I would use the official prompts only, as a springboard for '31 Jobs Mikkel Has Been Fired From.'
I'll post my efforts in the main SSSS Art Thread.  If anybody wants the SSSS prompts from past years, you can dig these up in the Forum Memories sub-board under the About the Site board.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:28:03 PM by wavewright62 »

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #18606 on: September 14, 2019, 10:15:00 PM »
Yes, the fandom is more quiet. 

Indeed. I was never really one to comment on the pages themselves. But here on the forum, there were times that I could rack up 50 posts per day just trying to keep up with all the conversations going on! It was wild.

Part of me misses those days, especially all the cool stuff going on in the SSSSona thread. But I like the quieter pace of the forum now, too. It's easier to come back to after an absence, and not get completely overwhelmed with everything that happened while you were gone.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18607 on: September 19, 2019, 09:57:05 PM »
I’m running around madly today trying to get the last of my stuff ready for the Mount Pleasant Spring Garden Fair on Saturday. Should be great fun. Last year a few Minnions dropped by to say hello. Looking forward to seeing any of you who drop by this year, and I will have more time to chat because this year I am just running a garden stall and am not one of the presenters. Nice way to start Spring! Come along and listen to Sophie Thompson and Neville Bonney talk about gardening and food.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #18608 on: September 20, 2019, 12:04:28 AM »
I just got a pack of larch seeds.... TBH I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with them just yet... I'm kinda thinking sprouting them and planting them along the fenceline of the property I'm living on.

but then again tree-law gets to be wonky.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

« Reply #18609 on: September 20, 2019, 12:35:46 AM »
Always worth growing some larches. Is it tamarack where you are, or European larch? They are useful trees - quite apart from the autumn colour display (unusual in a conifer) they are used to make bonsais and the resin is edible and medicinal. The tree has been used in shamanic magic, (for working with the earth/water interface and for world-tree magic), and in medicine, incense, perfumery and cosmetics, as well as being used in boat building, houses and as fence posts because it is quite waterproof.

Do larches where you are have the symbiotic bolete fungi? If they do, those are delicious. Unfortunately, larches are also vulnerable to a number of parasitic fungi, some of which can cause wood rot, or even kill them. But they are lovely trees so worth finding out what the local rules are for where you can grow them.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:37:54 AM by Róisín »

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18610 on: September 20, 2019, 09:20:53 PM »

but then again tree-law gets to be wonky.

Tree-law?

Probably not law according to the trees, though that would be fascinating. Human law relating specifically to trees? What does it say? -- we have invasive-species laws, and no-moving-wood-around-in-case-it's-infected laws. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #18611 on: September 21, 2019, 08:39:29 PM »
Always worth growing some larches. Is it tamarack where you are, or European larch? They are useful trees - quite apart from the autumn colour display (unusual in a conifer) they are used to make bonsais and the resin is edible and medicinal. The tree has been used in shamanic magic, (for working with the earth/water interface and for world-tree magic), and in medicine, incense, perfumery and cosmetics, as well as being used in boat building, houses and as fence posts because it is quite waterproof.

Do larches where you are have the symbiotic bolete fungi? If they do, those are delicious. Unfortunately, larches are also vulnerable to a number of parasitic fungi, some of which can cause wood rot, or even kill them. But they are lovely trees so worth finding out what the local rules are for where you can grow them.

Western larch if the paperwork that I found with them is to be believed.

Tree-law?

Probably not law according to the trees, though that would be fascinating. Human law relating specifically to trees? What does it say? -- we have invasive-species laws, and no-moving-wood-around-in-case-it's-infected laws. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Generally speaking the laws regarding how humans can interact with trees owned by other people.

These guys can explain it far better than I can.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18612 on: September 22, 2019, 12:55:59 PM »
Thanks, Solokov. That's an interesting looking thread.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #18613 on: October 08, 2019, 03:12:17 AM »
Hey! I’m quite new to the forum so I don’t really know my way around, but I mentioned in the last page’s comments that I’d made a very long poem about the history of hydrocarbon fuel (being very much inspired by all the poets in the comment section) and buteo suggested I post it to the forum. (I’m ‘keep looking’ on disqus, it being the auto-generated name that I somehow got and decided to stick with)

Anyway, here it is:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VL_khLgR88rWEaPy_aYYWlGYhXH1uMXQr5vOYsEW9zI
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #18614 on: October 08, 2019, 08:12:09 AM »
Wow. Just wow! I’m impressed. And it is well thought out and expressed.