Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424162 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18615 on: October 08, 2019, 08:37:30 AM »
Wow. Just wow! I’m impressed. And it is well thought out and expressed.
Thank you so much!!! I spent a fair bit of time on it.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #18616 on: October 08, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »
I have a question for any of my fellow artists here: when drawing with charcoal or pastels, is it possible to bruise your fingertips by rubbing too hard into the paper? I've been working pretty intensely on a pastel drawing (about 7 hours in total so far) and this morning I see two of my fingers are kinda purplish right at the tip. Has this happened to anyone here before?
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18617 on: October 08, 2019, 04:14:05 PM »
I have a question for any of my fellow artists here: when drawing with charcoal or pastels, is it possible to bruise your fingertips by rubbing too hard into the paper? I've been working pretty intensely on a pastel drawing (about 7 hours in total so far) and this morning I see two of my fingers are kinda purplish right at the tip. Has this happened to anyone here before?

Sort of, but I usually end up with colour embedded into crevices of my skin and nails, if I am not careful to really scrub it out, more than actual damage to my fingertips.  (Maybe I'm a little weird, too, I tend to use the sides of my fingertips for blending more than the actual tips.)  But they could be slightly abraded, dunno what paper you're using but it could have a bit of bite to its surface, and rubbing pastel hard to that could give you a bit of 'carpet burn'.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18618 on: October 08, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »
I’m no artist, but one of my sons is, and I have seen him, back when he lived at home, bruise and abrade his fingertips doing such work. And as Wavewright says, pastel and charcoal can embed in your skin and remain even after washing. Is it painful, or just stained?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #18619 on: October 10, 2019, 12:06:27 PM »
Roisin, since you're our resident expert in this kind of stuff, do you happen to know if fringed sage (artemesia frigida) is safe to use as an herb in food?

I was taking plant samples for range surveys yesterday and crushed some and ithe smell of it got me thinking it might be worth finding a plant and transplanting it to a pot for use for fresh herbs.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

« Reply #18620 on: October 10, 2019, 09:44:21 PM »
A Native American friend tells me that the Hopi and Zuni use it as a flavouring for corn and beans, as well as planting it near both as a pest-repelling companion plant. Much as the related herb mugwort is used in Europe, or its nicer-tasting cousin tarragon.

I have it in the garden (I know it as Boreal Wormwood or Prairie Mugwort, it isn’t really a sage at all, but as you can probably tell from the tiny flowers it is part of the daisy family). Beautiful plant. If I were using it in food, I would use tiny amounts, because I have tasted it when used as a medicine, and the flavour is strong. Not bad, but strong. And as always, check for allergy. Someone who is allergic to mugwort or wormwood might well be allergic to A. frigida.

I grow it for the poultry (let them eat it against lice, worms, stickfast fleas and suchlike, and put sprigs in their bedding as an insect repellent), for its beauty, and because it has uses in herbal medicine and magic. It was used internally as part of treatment for several respiratory and digestive complaints, as an antiparasitic, and was burned to disinfect a sickroom or clear a space, and used in incense and perfume.

If you have ever seen a smoking ceremony, which in Native American tradition was used to purify a space or a person, Artemisia frigida is one of the herbs used in the smoking bundle, (also called a smudge stick) which is burned like a stick of incense and the smoke wafted around the area or person being worked on. The smoking bundles I have seen are made from dried leaves of Sweetgrass (Hierochloe odorata), leafy stems of Artemisia Frigida and of Salvia apiana, White Sage or Bee Sage, which actually is a sage, tied together with more sweetgrass.

Róisín

« Reply #18621 on: November 18, 2019, 02:33:10 AM »
Update on the fire situation here (Rural South Australia): there are still eight small fires burning within a 20 mile radius of our place, none presently out of control, thank goodness! We are safe at present. A total fire ban has been declared for many areas of the state, including ours, ahead of an extreme fire danger day on Wednesday, when temperatures are expected to reach 8 to 18 degrees C above what is usual at this time of year, ahead of a cold front which is likely to have dangerous winds and no rain. Advice is to be ready to evacuate if fires start. We certainly will be! I will keep you updated on how we go.

Róisín

« Reply #18622 on: November 18, 2019, 04:25:22 AM »
More news: Recreate and the Community Garden where I normally spend my Wednesdays volunteering will be closed since we will be in a state of Catastrophic Fire Danger, and ready to evacuate if we must. Not looking forward to this. Luck and safety to everyone else in danger.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #18623 on: November 18, 2019, 07:52:35 AM »
Praying you’ll be alright, Roisin. The conditions lately have been pretty awful, especially for November, and I know the fires over east are really bad. I’m hoping everyone manages to stay safe!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18624 on: November 18, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »
Thanks for posting, Róisín. I've seen fires in Australia in the news and was worrying about you. Am still worried, but at least better informed! and relieved that you're all right as of time of posting. Hope that you, and all others, will be safe.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18625 on: November 18, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »
Good luck to you and everyone in your area.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18626 on: November 18, 2019, 02:28:36 PM »
We gaze upon glorious sunsets here in New Zealand, but cannot rejoice in them because we know they're coloured by your fires.  I hope you get rain, gentle but copious rain.  (I know, not at this time of year, but I can hope.)   :'(
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #18627 on: November 18, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »
Thank you for well wishes, all! We are managing as best we can, and doing all we can to prepare. I will try to keep you updated.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #18628 on: December 05, 2019, 07:08:55 PM »
Happy 102nd birthday Finland!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

donthangdamien

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #18629 on: December 11, 2019, 10:26:39 PM »
Due to budget cuts to my city's school board, my school has to lay off six of the teachers. Despite this, the school can no longer afford to purchase stationery or whiteboard markers for the remainder of the school year. I just wish we had a government that actually cared about education here in Alberta.
Native::canada:
Fluent::france:
Learning::germany: | :italy:
:A2chap05: