Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2441536 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18585 on: July 29, 2019, 02:52:00 AM »
Home-made bean and vegetable soup here. Good in this weather.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18586 on: July 29, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
I was wondering. What is your favorite recipe for switchel?
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #18587 on: July 30, 2019, 01:54:51 AM »
We called it farmer’s punch, haymaker’s punch or harvest punch. I’m not sure where the name of switchel comes from, I have mostly heard it used in America. You make it with either rainwater, filtered water or lemon barley water as a base. I prefer the latter, to me at least it tastes better, and is certainly better for you. Always prepare and store it in glass, enamel or ceramic containers, because acids in the liquid will leach plastic containers, giving ‘off’ flavours to the drink, and the chemicals that leach out of the plastic will do you no good whatever. My gran used to make it in a big ceramic container which I think was originally a pickling crock, but I have seen it made in Greece in an old ceramic bread crock, and in Australia in a glass demijohn. (That is also what I use). She served it in her big ceramic kneading bowl for everyday use, or for fancy occasions like harvest feast in the good crystal punchbowl, decorated with flowers of borage, pansies and violets. If you do that, make sure the flowers you use are edible ones!

To start:
. Make the lemon barley water, which is a good drink on its own, both for general refreshment purposes and especially as a drink for kids with fevers, convalescents, or anyone with cystitis. To do this, take a gallon (around four litres) of rainwater or filtered water. To this add four cups of pearl barley which has been soaked overnight, then rinsed. Add a teaspoonful of salt, and in a covered pot bring it slowly to the boil, then turn the heat down so it is just simmering, and cook until the barley is soft and the grains are plumped up. This will take at least half an hour, longer if the barley is hard. Turn off the heat and let it stand, covered, until it is completely cold. At this stage you will have a sludgy mass which can vary from the texture of runny glue to the texture of rice pudding. Don’t panic, it is supposed to do that!

Pour the sludge into a fine sieve, a jelly bag or a piece of clean muslin and let it drip into a large bowl to collect the liquid. When as much liquid has come out as is going to, rinse the barley grains by pouring tepid boiled water over them and collect the liquid, which is added to that from the first straining. Then comes the fun part, or at least the part I and my brother most enjoyed when we were kids. Press out any extra liquid from the barley, and add it to the liquid you already have. We used to do this by taking one end each of the cloth in which the barley had been left to drip and twisting it against each other over the bowl, until the last bits of jelly-like liquid had been forced out and mixed with the previous lot.

The cooked barley grain left over from this process can then be used in soup. I usually add it to my mixed bean, barley and vegetable soup.

You now have a bowl of barley-infused sludgy liquid. It looks disgusting but tastes very good. Stir in the juice of four or more lemons, according to taste. I like more, but tastes vary, plus about a cupful of honey, molasses, sugar or maple syrup, depending on what you have, and bottle it for storage. We used to keep it in the springhouse, along with the butter and cheese, because we had no electricity so no refrigeration. In summer you might need to keep it in the fridge, or in a cool cupboard.

It is served like a cordial, diluted in either hot or cold water, about one part of lemon barley water to five of water, and is very refreshing.

Or you can use it as a base for making switchel/haymaker’s punch/harvester’s punch instead of using plain water.

SWITCHEL, HARVESTER’S PUNCH, HAYMAKER’s PUNCH, FARMER’S PUNCH:

. Start with about a gallon and a half (about five and a half litres) of fresh water, either filtered or rain water. Or a similar amount of lemon barley water, made up with one part of the cordial mix I have just described to five parts of water.
. To this add about two cups of good quality raw cider vingar, or more or less to taste.
. Add about two cups of honey, brown or demerara sugar, maple syrup or molasses, again to taste.
. Add herbs and spices to taste. I like extra lemon juice and zest, finely shredded ginger and turmeric, a few cinnamon sticks and a few crushed cardamon pods, but many people use a few teaspoonsful of dried ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Depends on taste and what you have.

. At this stage you can serve it, well stirred to mix it thoroughly and decorated with such things as slices of citrus fruit and cucumber with sprigs of mint, thyme, or melissa and edible flowers, and with or without ice. This is a still drink. If you want it slightly spritzig/carbonated, stop at that stage where all the ingredients have been well mixed but not yet decorated, and decant the stuff into bottles. I use the same pickaxe bottles used for beer or ginger beer, or the old fashioned ball-and-wire sealed grolsch bottles if I have them, and leave it for a few days to a week to ferment in a cool place. Once it is slightly carbonated it is served as described. OR you can just add a couple of bottles of mineral water to the still version if you are in a hurry.

Sorry this is so long and complicated, but there are a number of ways to do this, all good. Work out which one you like best.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18588 on: July 30, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »
Thank you for such detailed information. Barley water on it's own is another historical drink that I might get reenactors to try out of curiosity but I have doubts it would be a big hit with American palates now unused to such fare. Your switchel recipe is based on the volume I expect to make for group meals, One to two gallons depending on the size of the event. I will certainly try your proportions though my experiments over the past week lead me to think it will be a little robust for first-timers. I have been making pints using 1 tablespoon vinegar to two tablespoons of sweetener when I make it traditionally using maple syrup, my favorite. 1/2 tsps. of powdered ginger seems spicy enough for this size batch. I want to keep it simple for historic accuracy. Country folk in my time period wouldn't have had easy access to fresh lemons, cinnamon, or other additions. Powdered ginger would also have been more available than fresh.  I've been sending out for some commercially made switchel products. So far all that has arrived was a canned switchel from Vermont made with soda water which I did not like. Plain water is better, I think. There is also a concentrate available but it will not arrive in time for me to test it before my next event which starts this Thursday. Fortunately this week begins a roller coaster of events which will keep me on the go for the next six weekends so I will have ample opportunity to test out recipes and find what works for modern tastes. Again, thanks for the home recipe. I wanted one from someone who has a lifelong familiarity with switchel as a standard to judge by.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:11:26 PM by midwestmutt »

Róisín

« Reply #18589 on: July 30, 2019, 12:21:08 PM »
Glad I could help. And I hope your events go well! Have fun.

Róisín

« Reply #18590 on: August 08, 2019, 04:33:07 AM »
Just letting folk know that we are okay here so far. My part of Australia is having some truly foul weather. At present viciously hard storms of rain and sleet, some trees down, and flooding, mercifully not yet in the house. We have another window blown out, damnit. Power has gone out briefly a few times but not yet for long. Gale force winds so that may change. Putting this up now just in case we lose power.

I have just come in from settling the poultry and the bees as well as is possible, and am about to go out and get a bit more firewood. After that I am going to hole up in the house, do inside tasks and paperwork, and wait for it to ease outside.

Dai, the weather map looks nasty for the Adelaide plains also. Hope you are okay?

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18591 on: August 08, 2019, 08:16:09 AM »
Our summer extremes seem to be mellowing out. May the same happen to your season. Meanwhile hang on.

Róisín

« Reply #18592 on: August 08, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »
Thank you!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18593 on: August 08, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »
Glad you're OK so far, Róisín, and hope that continues.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18594 on: August 08, 2019, 05:33:11 PM »
Glad you're OK so far, Róisín, and hope that continues.
Agreed! Auckland's been having a fairly temperate time of it this winter so far, and the current conditions (polar blasts spinning up from the Southern Ocean) will probably push your turbulence northward by the time it gets across the Tasman.
Stay warm and dry.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #18595 on: August 14, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »
Interesting happenings here. Tomorrow I have been invited to take part in a group trying to develop an ethics and safety code for wild food foragers here in SA. I think that is long overdue. To my utter delight, the person running the group was open to the idea of taking the Finnish ‘Everyman’s Right’ rules as an example of a suitable code. I think that very sensible! We may yet sort out something that works. The hard part is getting people to understand that with rights come obligations.

Róisín

« Reply #18596 on: August 15, 2019, 05:59:13 AM »
Had the meeting today and it was fascinating. Interesting folk, a nice mix of foragers and ecologists. More meetings to go, but I think we are getting somewhere. And they are on board with my attitude that we need to balance out caring for the forest with giving people a little more autonomy around their food. Far yet to go, but we might get there.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #18597 on: August 16, 2019, 11:03:20 PM »
Had the meeting today and it was fascinating. Interesting folk, a nice mix of foragers and ecologists. More meetings to go, but I think we are getting somewhere. And they are on board with my attitude that we need to balance out caring for the forest with giving people a little more autonomy around their food. Far yet to go, but we might get there.
My sister's starting to get into foraging recently, and that sounds like a really interesting conversation. Is it to do with not over-foraging things, or am I interpreting incorrectly?
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #18598 on: August 17, 2019, 01:59:50 AM »
Very much so. Foraging needs to be sustainable. Something I emphasise to my foraging classes is that we need to leave enough not only for other foragers but for the wildlife and to keep up a healthy population of whatever it is we are foraging. A healthy ecology ultimately means more food for everyone. So I have talked them into looking at examples such as ‘Everyman’s Right’ and the rules used by groups such as the British Mycological Society, as well as ideas proposed by the local Perramangk and Kaurna elders, whose ancestors have been foraging this land for tens of thousands of years longer than we have.

So, not over-foraging, foraging sustainably, and maintaining healthy ecologies over the long term, which ultimately comes down to respecting the land.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #18599 on: September 04, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
Bit late because travelling, but the forum turned 5 on Monday :> It's always a good thing to drop back in here, even if it's a bit quieter these days<3
Am notified of private messages via email.