Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387940 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2415 on: December 15, 2014, 07:57:49 PM »
Someone mark the calendars, I think we finally found someone who enjoys long sessions with his dentist ... ! 8)
I don't mind the dentist so much.  He's never done anything to me, so that's probably why, but he's not so bad.
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2416 on: December 15, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »
I don't mind the dentist so much.  He's never done anything to me, so that's probably why, but he's not so bad.
Oh I don't think my dentist has done anything to me, but my dental hygienist however... *war flashbacks to teeth being scraped* *shudders*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #2417 on: December 15, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »
Dentist is a perfect opportunity to practice relaxing under pressure =)

not that I enjoy it very much
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2418 on: December 15, 2014, 08:32:21 PM »
Note that I specifically referred to LONG, power-tools-filled sessions with one ... !
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2419 on: December 15, 2014, 08:42:17 PM »
Note that I specifically referred to LONG, power-tools-filled sessions with one ... !
Well... yeah, I wouldn't know about that.
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2420 on: December 15, 2014, 11:28:32 PM »

Uh. It's like a swarm of angry bees in your mouth.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2421 on: December 15, 2014, 11:54:20 PM »
after 20+ blood and plasma donations...
Don't eat within an hour or two before the test =) just drink normal amounts of fluids, easy on the coffee more on the Juice...
On watching the needle... do you feel faint if you see blood? if so... look away (nurses are the ones normally doing the tests, hint hint) But I like to be in control so I kept a close watch =)
AND... talk to the nurse... tell them what you think and feel... they tend to like feedback on the work they do as anybody would.

good luck with all
I'm not allowed to eat or drink (except water) for 12 hours before the test ;__; no snacks! Wah!
I'm fine with blood, in our house I'm like the "blood pro". I think I'll be more worried about a piece of metal being temporarily inside my arm :/ Normal needles are fine, because they don't stay in there ;____;

aww.. but the mechanics of it all is soo cool.... from a strictly scientific angle you knaow ;D
Agreed. It's conflicting.

Someone mark the calendars, I think we finally found someone who enjoys long sessions with his dentist ... ! 8)
Hehe I felt so bad after I watched a heap of wisdom teeth extraction videos (one was in Danish!) because I thought it was bad that I found it interesting and was kind of cheering on the dentist.... "Yeah, grab that quarter with the tweez- grab it-- C'MON IT'S NOT CALAMARI JUST PICK IT U- agh you got it.." U____U
I'm totally fine when a procedure is happening to someone else, but feel a bit weird when it's happening to me.... :/
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2422 on: December 16, 2014, 12:33:26 AM »
[Blood tests:]
They're not that bad honestly. I agree with Lars, it's like the phone thing--never as bad as you feel like it's gonna be. Pro-tip? Don't watch what they're doing while they do it. O_O I tried to do that the first time and it's a bad idea. Just look somewhere else and think of something else. It's just a pinprick, a slight ache and then you're done.

I agree with hushpiper.  I've donated blood for over 25 years.  The worst part (which isn't bad) is always when they prick your finger first for the little drop-of-blood test that makes sure you have enough iron to donate.  (An issue for women, sometimes.) 

Never look when the needle goes in and you'll be fine.  Distract yourself with something -- math problems or conjugating French verbs, for example.  It'll be over in a few seconds.

For what you're facing, they'll probably need enough blood to fill a small test tube.  The volume of your pointer finger, basically.  Testing technology has gotten more and more efficient over the years, so they can do more with less of your precious bodily fluids. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2423 on: December 16, 2014, 12:46:32 AM »
Never look when the needle goes in and you'll be fine.  Distract yourself with something -- math problems or conjugating French verbs, for example.  It'll be over in a few seconds.
Hmm, yes I agree, distractions work well! A couple times when I had to get shots, I just put earbuds in and played some music. It was rather effective. (though maybe a little unnecessary, hah. I'm better about shots now.)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Paul Ferris

« Reply #2424 on: December 16, 2014, 02:19:57 AM »
This is completely unrelated, but which state do you live in @OrigamiOwl? I feel a bit weird knowing that there're fellow Aussies here but having no idea of where they are.
Learning: :denmark:
Can read and sort-of speak: :france:
Native: :australia:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2425 on: December 16, 2014, 02:39:40 AM »
This is completely unrelated, but which state do you live in @OrigamiOwl? I feel a bit weird knowing that there're fellow Aussies here but having no idea of where they are.
I'm in Tasmania :3 You? I'm guessing the mainland?
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Paul Ferris

« Reply #2426 on: December 16, 2014, 04:11:54 AM »
Victoria! The second-hippiest state and proud of it :D

It must suck living on an almost completely flat, inbred, backwoods island :P
Learning: :denmark:
Can read and sort-of speak: :france:
Native: :australia:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2427 on: December 16, 2014, 04:17:05 AM »
Back to the blood donating thingie (and distracting our owl from the dentist)

While donating, once there lay someone next to me who could not stand the sight of blood. I had to keep the pour sod talking so he would not be able to look at anywhere, where he might see blood.

But it was so important to him. After he was finnished, he got up and walked away, eyes shut.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #2428 on: December 16, 2014, 04:31:21 AM »
Did he at least thank you ?
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #2429 on: December 16, 2014, 04:32:08 AM »
Victoria! The second-hippiest state and proud of it :D

It must suck living on an almost completely flat, inbred, backwoods island :P

I wish it were completely flat. Unfortunately it's quite hilly. I agree with inbred, though. No refuting backwoods either. On the plus side, though (perhaps the only plus-side), it's very beautiful.

As to blood and injury things, I am absolutely fine as long as it isn't my own. The very few times in life where I have almost fainted have been due to injuries to my own body - not really the blood, either, just pus in the one case, and the sight of a shortened thumb with a largish open wound in the other. I really detest needles, though. I blame Agatha Christie for that (introducing me to death by air in bloodstream at a very young age).
Am notified of private messages via email.