Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424620 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2430 on: December 16, 2014, 04:53:17 AM »
Victoria! The second-hippiest state and proud of it :D

It must suck living on an almost completely flat, inbred, backwoods island :P
Hey! ;___; it's just the centre that's flat! There are pretty hills and mountains and forests n stuff! In my area, at least...

I wish it were completely flat. Unfortunately it's quite hilly. I agree with inbred, though. No refuting backwoods either. On the plus side, though (perhaps the only plus-side), it's very beautiful.

As to blood and injury things, I am absolutely fine as long as it isn't my own. The very few times in life where I have almost fainted have been due to injuries to my own body - not really the blood, either, just pus in the one case, and the sight of a shortened thumb with a largish open wound in the other. I really detest needles, though. I blame Agatha Christie for that (introducing me to death by air in bloodstream at a very young age).
Oh yeah, no arguments there. I'm terrified of our neighbours...three arms, four heads, seven mouths....axe obsessions... I don't dare step off the property in case I get caught in a trap, skinned and eaten like that creepy Bender family in Supernatural ;P trolls, the lot of them!

Seriously though, they terrify me. I saw one skinning a dead sheep once, amongst their pet goats. O_______O I went to school with folk like that; can't spell their own name and believe education is the devil and that we have a buried stash of riches. I'm not kidding that's a genuine rumour I've heard.

But yes, it is sorta pretty. I've got the Tahune and the Hartz Mountain National Park in my area, and get to see some neato wild coastline when I go fishing :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:00:14 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Paul Ferris

« Reply #2431 on: December 16, 2014, 05:52:50 AM »
If you like nature and ever wander across the Strait, check out the Yarra Valley. I rode through there yesterday and the whole landscape is absolutely stunning. Especially as you gradually leave the city and smoke behind you and climb up into the (torturous on any gear) hills.

Nah, you guys aren't that bad. I'd actually love to see more investment in Tassie, since us mainlanders forget about you and the unspoilt landscape has SO MUCH to offer carbon-neutrally (if that makes any sense).

Wild bragging ahead--------------------------------------------------

Blood and guts? Totally unfaze me. I cut out some tissue from a burn because I thought it was dead, and I didn't use any pain meds after my jaw surgery because I didn't mind the discomfort. I had a partially fractured elbow, but the way I described it everyone thought it was a torn flexor and I never saw a doctor (I only found out because I had an XRay taken for a broken wrist a few months later). Weirdly enough, I'm not the greatest fan of specific pain - muscle pain everywhere and skin covered in cuts, fine. But papercuts, IV insertions and minor fractures? f***f***f***. The last time I had a vaccination my arm went fuzzy and a tad numb, but it didn't knock me out. Fun fact, when I broke my wrist I (just, barely) managed to change out of my lycra and into my school uniform before I visited the nurse. I was literally laughing in pain from shock/endorphins.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:54:41 AM by Paul Ferris »
Learning: :denmark:
Can read and sort-of speak: :france:
Native: :australia:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2432 on: December 16, 2014, 06:08:22 AM »
If you like nature and ever wander across the Strait, check out the Yarra Valley. I rode through there yesterday and the whole landscape is absolutely stunning. Especially as you gradually leave the city and smoke behind you and climb up into the (torturous on any gear) hills.

Nah, you guys aren't that bad. I'd actually love to see more investment in Tassie, since us mainlanders forget about you and the unspoilt landscape has SO MUCH to offer carbon-neutrally (if that makes any sense).

Wild bragging ahead--------------------------------------------------

Blood and guts? Totally unfaze me. I cut out some tissue from a burn because I thought it was dead, and I didn't use any pain meds after my jaw surgery because I didn't mind the discomfort. I had a partially fractured elbow, but the way I described it everyone thought it was a torn flexor and I never saw a doctor (I only found out because I had an XRay taken for a broken wrist a few months later). Weirdly enough, I'm not the greatest fan of specific pain - muscle pain everywhere and skin covered in cuts, fine. But papercuts, IV insertions and minor fractures? f***f***f***. The last time I had a vaccination my arm went fuzzy and a tad numb, but it didn't knock me out. Fun fact, when I broke my wrist I (just, barely) managed to change out of my lycra and into my school uniform before I visited the nurse. I was literally laughing in pain from shock/endorphins.
Heh, I do the laughing thing too! Never broken anything though, I'm too paranoid :P

The Yarrah Valley is on my list of places to check out :3

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2433 on: December 16, 2014, 06:20:29 AM »
Heh, I do the laughing thing too! Never broken anything though, I'm too paranoid :P

The Yarrah Valley is on my list of places to check out :3
Pain laughter??

Never broken a bone here, either.  For a while I thought it was because I had bones of steel, but then I got older and realized it was because I don't do anything that could lead to broken bones.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2434 on: December 16, 2014, 06:35:08 AM »
Pain laughter??

Never broken a bone here, either.  For a while I thought it was because I had bones of steel, but then I got older and realized it was because I don't do anything that could lead to broken bones.
Yeah..... Usually because I can see comedic value in it somehow :/ the situation might be ridiculous, or the timing might be great, or there's some serious coincidences going on.
Eg: *jams hand between something* "aaAAGGHAHahahaa noooooohoho!"

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2435 on: December 16, 2014, 08:18:12 AM »
It must suck living on an almost completely flat, inbred, backwoods island :P
Something tells me we'll shortly be able to take a large blood sample simply by sweeping it up from the floor ... :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #2436 on: December 16, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
Pain laughter??
Yep. Actually customary in Brazil, I've been told. And why not? If it makes you feel better (and laughing and smiling for no tangible reason has been proven to improve one's mood), why not make use of that to counter pain.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #2437 on: December 16, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »
I really don't like needle-things; though I also have a more practical reason why I can't give blood: my weight is less than 50kg.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2438 on: December 16, 2014, 02:22:24 PM »
Did he at least thank you ?

yes :D. Though he was lucky, I collapsed short time after we sat at meal. 't was a really hot day, I had not drunk as much as I should have and as I'm a quick donater with times less then 6 minutes, it did no good, that I waited for my 17 minutes needing friend. Well she never went to donation since, but I was well again very quickly.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2439 on: December 16, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »
Got back from the doctor's. Blood test went fine :3 however I don't think she tested for the two main reasons I wanted the test, because there's a huge family history of those, but she said there wasn't.... Hmmmb...I don't know. She said they would check the iron levels though, so one out of three...ain't....hmmmm.

Something tells me we'll shortly be able to take a large blood sample simply by sweeping it up from the floor ... :P
I don't think a broom would be very efficient... Maybe a large wringable sponge instead :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:00:59 PM by OrigamiOwl »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2440 on: December 16, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
Got back from the doctor's. Blood test went fine :3 however I don't think she tested for the two main reasons I wanted the test, because there's a huge family history of those, but she said there wasn't.... Hmmmb...I don't know. She said they would check the iron levels though, so one out of three...ain't....hmmmm.
I don't think a broom would be very efficient... Maybe a large wringable sponge instead :D
*Just started eating lunch/dinner*
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2441 on: December 16, 2014, 06:57:22 PM »
*Just started eating lunch/dinner*
Ayup, we'd need a large, porous sponge and a bucket, (all items can be found in the kitchen, a regular dish-washing sponge and bowl will do) and we'd have to work quickly before it all starts to congeal or else the sponge won't do its job and we'll need paper towel to pick up all the bits instead >;P and then there's the CLEAN UP.
For a decent clean-enough-no-one-would-suspect-five-litres-of-blood-were-spilled-here look, you will need... Should I continue? X'D

On a different topic: you have dinner this early? What's a normal dinner time because our dinner is usually at 9 o______o
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:05:51 PM by OrigamiOwl »

JoB

« Reply #2442 on: December 16, 2014, 07:54:53 PM »
On a different topic: you have dinner this early?
No, he meant it's his lunch now and if the topic continues long enough, it'll be reused as today's dinner. 8)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2443 on: December 16, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »
Ayup, we'd need a large, porous sponge and a bucket, (all items can be found in the kitchen, a regular dish-washing sponge and bowl will do) and we'd have to work quickly before it all starts to congeal or else the sponge won't do its job and we'll need paper towel to pick up all the bits instead >;P and then there's the CLEAN UP.
For a decent clean-enough-no-one-would-suspect-five-litres-of-blood-were-spilled-here look, you will need... Should I continue? X'D

On a different topic: you have dinner this early? What's a normal dinner time because our dinner is usually at 9 o______o
No need to continue, no.  Blood never used to bother me, and my own still doesn't, if it's not too much.  Other peoples' though, is very different.

I skipped lunch today, so I had an early dinner.  I'll probably eat something again in a couple hours before bed too.  It was a veeerry long day.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2444 on: December 16, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »
No need to continue, no.  Blood never used to bother me, and my own still doesn't, if it's not too much.  Other peoples' though, is very different.

I skipped lunch today, so I had an early dinner.  I'll probably eat something again in a couple hours before bed too.  It was a veeerry long day.
Aww :( are you back at work already? Or was is just one of those days? :/

People-blood doesn't bother me, but animal blood weirds me out a lot, and fish blood makes me feel ill because ughhh X'S