Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409127 times)

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2400 on: December 15, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »
But I am quite nervous about the blood test. I've never had one before. Are they ok? Horrible? Bearable? Noticeable?

I had one a few weeks ago, and I get to do another in two weeks! Yaaaay! \o/

They're not that bad honestly. I agree with Lars, it's like the phone thing--never as bad as you feel like it's gonna be. Pro-tip? Don't watch what they're doing while they do it. O_O I tried to do that the first time and it's a bad idea. Just look somewhere else and think of something else. It's just a pinprick, a slight ache and then you're done.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2401 on: December 15, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
Mine would freak out if they found out:
a) I'm not actually texting, I'm just browsing the internet.
Gosh knows what they'd do if they discovered:
b) Amidst my browsing I TALK to people! On the INTERNET!
*catastrophe sirens*
OAO

Agh, I booked an appointment at the doctor's to get a blood test. Finally. The doc's been avoiding/dissuading me out of it for aaaaaaages but HA HA! I GOT YOU NOW DOC! YOU CANT ESCAPE.
Have I mentioned that I don't particularly love my local doctor...? :/ Like, she's ok. But...not.
I can't wait to show her the scar from where she incorrectly bandaged my stitches "together" ohoho~
I wonder if she'll actually do the blood test herself...or will she surprise me and let the novice (albeit adorable) med student do it instead? It only took him eigHt TRies to put in tHree stitches, I'm sure he's had plenty of practice since then so inserting ONE needle ONCE should be FINE. [/rant]

Ah, I'm sorry folks, I just needed to express that for no reason u___u
But I am quite nervous about the blood test. I've never had one before. Are they ok? Horrible? Bearable? Noticeable?

Heh, I'm used to blood tests by now. They don't actually hurt that much, only sting a little for a second in the beginning. What's important is that you don't ever look at the needle or the vial that's filling with your blood. Ever. And eat a candy before doing it, or you may faint.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2402 on: December 15, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »

They're actually relatively okay. I was also really nervous when I had to do a blood test a while back, but it pretty much just felt slightly irritating. The worst part was probably that I couldn't eat anything beforehand. I also wholeheartedly second everyone else's advice: just look somewhere else when they actually draw the blood.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2403 on: December 15, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
I am quite nervous about the blood test. I've never had one before. Are they ok? Horrible? Bearable? Noticeable?
It's a needle getting stuck into your body, so if you ever had a needle going places it shouldn't be while sewing, or got stung by a rather large-ish insect, that's the amount of actual pain you'll have to expect. Some very experienced doctors and nurses manage to actually avoid "hitting a nerve" altogether on most tries.

Depending on the kind and amount of blood they need to draw and how easily they can locate your veins, you might have a tourniquet applied to your arm, or be asked to work your arm muscles (usually by kneading a rubber ball with the hand below). Those might cause some additional discomfort - I wouldn't call it pain.

No blood test that I'm aware of draws such an amount of blood that you might feel nauseated or weak afterwards as a direct effect on your circulatory system. Those are psychophysiological effects, notably the vasovagal reflex. That's not to say that such effects could happily be ignored if they happen, but chances are that they simply won't, and your best bet IMHO is to assume that latter until proven otherwise. Tell the doc it's a first for you, though, he'll likely have you lay down for the procedure as a precaution.

In particular in cases where the needle was aimed poorly, blood may subsequently seep into the tissue, leading to a bruise. The risk of infection, with proper countermeasures being taken (disinfectant swab before, band-aid after, freshly unpackaged or properly sterilized equipment in-between), should be effectively zero.

Oh, and there are no pain receptors in your blood, much less ones that can "call you back" from whatever lab it got brought to, so the actual testing is guaranteed painless. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Nimphy

« Reply #2404 on: December 15, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »
It's a needle getting stuck into your body, so if you ever had a needle going places it shouldn't be while sewing, or got stung by a rather large-ish insect, that's the amount of actual pain you'll have to expect. Some very experienced doctors and nurses manage to actually avoid "hitting a nerve" altogether on most tries.

Depending on the kind and amount of blood they need to draw and how easily they can locate your veins, you might have a tourniquet applied to your arm, or be asked to work your arm muscles (usually by kneading a rubber ball with the hand below). Those might cause some additional discomfort - I wouldn't call it pain.

No blood test that I'm aware of draws such an amount of blood that you might feel nauseated or weak afterwards as a direct effect on your circulatory system. Those are psychophysiological effects, notably the vasovagal reflex. That's not to say that such effects could happily be ignored if they happen, but chances are that they simply won't, and your best bet IMHO is to assume that latter until proven otherwise. Tell the doc it's a first for you, though, he'll likely have you lay down for the procedure as a precaution.

In particular in cases where the needle was aimed poorly, blood may subsequently seep into the tissue, leading to a bruise. The risk of infection, with proper countermeasures being taken (disinfectant swab before, band-aid after, freshly unpackaged or properly sterilized equipment in-between), should be effectively zero.

Oh, and there are no pain receptors in your blood, much less ones that can "call you back" from whatever lab it got brought to, so the actual testing is guaranteed painless. :P

Mr. scientist, the "psychological effects" are pretty real, I assure you as one who has had frequent blood tests throughout her short life. Once you get used to it... well, the feeling weak, MAY come. But... well, it depends on how much blood they will be taking. I suspect Owl will just have a test tube or so. I usually get about five or six taken, so the feeling may be because of that...

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

« Reply #2405 on: December 15, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »
Mr. scientist, the "psychological effects" are pretty real, I assure you
I never said they aren't, and the Red Cross folks at the collection drive where I tried being a blood donator made it very clear that they'd rather never see me again. (Compared to the lone company physician who had to bring my vaccination up to speed for a little business trip to India, they IMHO had it easy, though.)

I said that there's a very real chance of them not appearing at all unless you already know otherwise.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:06:41 PM by JoB »
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2406 on: December 15, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »
I never said they aren't, and the Red Cross folks at the collection drive where I tried being a blood donator made it very clear that they'd rather never see me again. (Compared to the lone company physician who had to bring my vaccination up to speed for a little business trip to India, they IMHO had it easy, though.)

I said that there's a very real chance of them not appearing at all unless you already know otherwise.

Oh yes, some of the redcross volunteers are real butchers. But to me they've been always pleasant :)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #2407 on: December 15, 2014, 04:47:21 PM »
after 20+ blood and plasma donations...
Don't eat within an hour or two before the test =) just drink normal amounts of fluids, easy on the coffee more on the Juice...
On watching the needle... do you feel faint if you see blood? if so... look away (nurses are the ones normally doing the tests, hint hint) But I like to be in control so I kept a close watch =)
AND... talk to the nurse... tell them what you think and feel... they tend to like feedback on the work they do as anybody would.

good luck with all
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Nimphy

« Reply #2408 on: December 15, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »
after 20+ blood and plasma donations...
Don't eat within an hour or two before the test =) just drink normal amounts of fluids, easy on the coffee more on the Juice...
On watching the needle... do you feel faint if you see blood? if so... look away (nurses are the ones normally doing the tests, hint hint) But I like to be in control so I kept a close watch =)
AND... talk to the nurse... tell them what you think and feel... they tend to like feedback on the work they do as anybody would.

good luck with all

Not Owl but I'm going to answer the same: no, it's not the blood. Blood is pretty. It's the metal thing that's piercing my skin and sucking my blood. Seeing it is entirely different than feeling it.

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #2409 on: December 15, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »
Not Owl but I'm going to answer the same: no, it's not the blood. Blood is pretty. It's the metal thing that's piercing my skin and sucking my blood. Seeing it is entirely different than feeling it.

aww.. but the mechanics of it all is soo cool.... from a strictly scientific angle you knaow ;D
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

P__

« Reply #2410 on: December 15, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »
aww.. but the mechanics of it all is soo cool.... from a strictly scientific angle you knaow ;D
seconded :P
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #2411 on: December 15, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »

See I kind of thought I'd think the same thing. I'm a curious patient at the doctor's, always asking questions and asking to see everything they're doing, so I was eager to see what drawing blood looked like. But no, for me it was totally the sight of the blood that did it, even though it's never made me faint before. "Oooh look that's so fascinating and there's the blood going--oh my that's a lot of blood. And it's very dark colored and I'm looking away now."

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2412 on: December 15, 2014, 06:38:34 PM »

Heh, for me, thinking about the mechanics of the procedure freaks me out a bit. And it's like... it's removing my blood. This little thing is stuck inside my skin and is removing my blood. And also for me it's like "whaaa? That's my blood??" and that freaks me out more than the sight of blood in general.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #2413 on: December 15, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »
as long as it is my blood I have no problem whatsoever, watching a good doc do his job is really interesting! other ppls blood... that actually hurts more, but then its more... what can I do to help... bad feelings later.

later is for deep breath and calming beverages =)

JoB

« Reply #2414 on: December 15, 2014, 07:49:42 PM »
Someone mark the calendars, I think we finally found someone who enjoys long sessions with his dentist ... ! 8)