Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2564035 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17055 on: February 10, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
I think that susceptibility to climate depends on your habits. where you were born and raised, on your medical condition and convenience and etc.

Very much this. Some of it's probably genetic. Most people adapt to some extent to the usual temperature -- 50ºF feels cold to me in midsummer but quite warm in midwinter -- but the particular range one can adapt to feel comfortable in varies a great deal with the person. Age and medical condition can indeed also influence that range.

For me, cold weather energizes me.  [ . . . ]There's this silly theory that people tend to like the season they were born in, and for me it holds. 

I'm going to put a hole in your theory: I was born in June, but I'm also energized by cold weather. I find it very hard to do anything in hot weather -- and I often have to do field work in it, for at least some definitions of hot.* When it hits the 80's and 90's F I spend a lot of time pouring water over my head.

-- ETA: I just noticed the original question was from somebody used to Arizona -- hot and dry, at least for the most part. I'll add that my particular system disagrees with the theory that a dry heat is easier to bear. Really humid weather I do find uncomfortable, especially if it's also hot -- but I personally find hot and dry even worse. I discovered this many years ago travelling across the USA in a droughty summer; it was both hot and dry in several states I was crossing, and the weather felt to me as if it was actively trying to kill not only me but everything else alive. I've never felt that way about either humid or cold weather -- though it gave me a better appreciation for people who do feel that way about cold weather. I had a gallon jug of water on the seat next to me and I could not keep enough water in me. Eventually I came across the mountains into the Wet Coast; as I came over the pass I drove down into thick fog. I ordinarily hate driving in fog; but I've rarely been as glad for anything in my life as I was to come into that fog.

*I have friends from India. One of them, one summer, said to me, 'When is it going to get hot around here?' I had thought it was hot around here at the time when she asked me. We took a look at a temperature F to C converter and came to the conclusion that by her standards it was never going to get hot around here -- and that if I ever go to India it'll have to be in what passes for midwinter, or else we'll have to meet in the Himalayas.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:58:41 PM by thorny »

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #17056 on: February 10, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
as someone who was born and grew up in Russia, I do not understand how it is fashionable to live in a warm climate. plus my health especially not let me make the weather warmer than +23°C, so perfect for myself, I think, from -15 to +15.
so I think that susceptibility to climate depends on your habits. where you were born and raised, on your medical condition and convenience and etc.

I would agree with this. I grew up in very cold places. Summer for me is very unpleasant because of allergies and breathing problems. Winter is almost a reprieve, honestly. I almost never get sick in a meaningful way from the cold.

Forecast for today was 36C. It was already 38.7C by midafternoon. Does not want to know.

Vafhudr, I completely agree with your taste in weather. I live where I do for a number of reasons, but the climate is not among them. Being a tshirts in the snow kind of metabolism, 40C + is an ordeal, for me and for my plants. Still, the moon is full tomorrow morning, and the birds are making a fuss, so something may change soon. Hope it's for the better!

I feel for you. Though I expect the changes you will get to be MOAR THUNDERSTORMS.

I prefer bugs I can swat if they get annoying. Because in the winter, I have to deal with the viruses. All. Winter. Long. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been sick in summer in my life, but I get sick on average 3 to 5 times a year Every. Single. Winter. and I HATE being sick, which is far worse than anything pollen could do to me.

But having to put on so many layers and layers and layers just to step out the door is exactly my problem! I hate having to pile on so many layers of clothing, I can't move freely, carrying anything is that much more of a chore, and gods forbid I should ever have to defend myself in long coat and snowboots! (And yes, I have to pile on the layers, because if I don't do it, I will get sick.)

We are physical opposites. D:

I love layers. I just can't wear them.

For me, cold weather energizes me. I like walking outside when it's cold, I love snow, ice and frost both aesthetically and just because.. I do? There's this silly theory that people tend to like the season they were born in, and for me it holds. I can see plenty of advantages to living in a warmer climate too, and I actually enjoy summer as well. I just prefer winter.

(Also, I very rarely get sick regardless of season, and for some reason I associate the crisp winter air with health and cleanness.)

Ah. Opposite for me. I was born in the pit of summer - late July.

Though, to be fair, my favourite season is fall. Winter is second. Followed tentatively by spring - specifically the second part of spring when the weather is sweet but everything is no longer mud and smelling like poo.

And yes. I also associate winter air with health. There is something unclean about hot, humid air to me. It feels like it suffocates me.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17057 on: February 10, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
Forecast for today was 36C. It was already 38.7C by midafternoon. Does not want to know.

Vafhudr, I completely agree with your taste in weather. I live where I do for a number of reasons, but the climate is not among them. Being a tshirts in the snow kind of metabolism, 40C + is an ordeal, for me and for my plants. Still, the moon is full tomorrow morning, and the birds are making a fuss, so something may change soon. Hope it's for the better!

Now that's my kind of weather!

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #17058 on: February 10, 2017, 07:26:44 PM »
Live in Virginia, experience all 5 seasons in one day. :P

It was literally 21C two days ago, and last night we had snow flurries; today's high only reached -6C.

Personally I prefer the cold, too, but I'd like some actual solid snow to accompany it, and the constant fluctuations in our weather has created one hell of a flu season this year.
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17059 on: February 10, 2017, 10:10:26 PM »
My genes are very much northern European. Give me 18C, 100% overcast and light drizzle and I'm in paradise! ;D

Of course I ended up being born in a place where the summers regularly top 40C  >:(
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17060 on: February 11, 2017, 03:11:55 AM »
Mostly european genes, a little Aboriginal and Rom, but I love the cold, misty weather. Happiest in the mountains, I used to love living in the Snowies and East Gippsland. West Coast of Ireland, Scottish Highlands and Islands were good too, as also Tasmania, except in the height of Summer. Bass Strait Islands were lovely, but wildly windy.

Mr Plinkett, you are welcome to our weather! Please take it! Please! I've come back from a day working in the heat, and am about to go out and spend an evening doing so.

Mind you, our winters get to -12C or a little colder, burst pipes, dead trees, occasional snow. Weather is erratic at the best of times. Last week we had a couple of nights when I needed to light the fire, last few nights have been too hot to sleep at all.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #17061 on: February 11, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »
Live in Virginia, experience all 5 seasons in one day. :P

It was literally 21C two days ago, and last night we had snow flurries; today's high only reached -6C.

Personally I prefer the cold, too, but I'd like some actual solid snow to accompany it, and the constant fluctuations in our weather has created one hell of a flu season this year.
Oooh yes. Though I'm a little further north, we had upper 60s (around 20 C I think?) and then the next day got almost a foot of snow.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17062 on: February 11, 2017, 07:11:49 PM »
I'm not a fan of the cold at all. I personally prefer temperatures between 15°C to 22°C. I don't like it much warmer than that either but I usually don't have to worry about that :P
Pretentious? Moi?

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17063 on: February 12, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #17064 on: February 13, 2017, 04:23:01 AM »
:D Viola, you seem really determined to get a comment on that chart, so I'll do it. I've seen a very similar one about Finns and I bet there are variations for every Northern country.

(You posted it a couple of pages back too)

Róisín

« Reply #17065 on: February 13, 2017, 05:34:28 AM »
I've seen them for England/America and England/Australia.

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #17066 on: February 13, 2017, 05:38:24 AM »
Al Jarreau is dead, and I'm sad...
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Róisín

« Reply #17067 on: February 13, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
Sad indeed! This year is shaping up as bad as last year in terms of interesting people suddenly dying.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17068 on: February 13, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »
(You posted it a couple of pages back too)

I know but the image didn't work. I didn't think anyone could see it, all I got was an error when I looked back at the post. Sorry for spamming the image >.<
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #17069 on: February 13, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
I know but the image didn't work. I didn't think anyone could see it, all I got was an error when I looked back at the post. Sorry for spamming the image >.<
I can see both, interesting that it fails to show for the uploader but not for other people.
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3: