Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424306 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17040 on: February 09, 2017, 12:50:13 AM »
Wyrm, I'm glad you have rain! With any luck, we will get your weather in a few days, providing the usual weather patterns don't change (not a given, these days). Probably not in time for Saturday's market, alas, but I'm hoping Sunday will be cooler because I'm due to spend the day being a garden guide to a public garden near here.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17041 on: February 09, 2017, 02:50:39 AM »
Wyrm, I'm glad you have rain! With any luck, we will get your weather in a few days, providing the usual weather patterns don't change (not a given, these days). Probably not in time for Saturday's market, alas, but I'm hoping Sunday will be cooler because I'm due to spend the day being a garden guide to a public garden near here.

I'll do my best to send the clouds your way!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17042 on: February 09, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »
Yay, snow!  WFH today!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #17043 on: February 09, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »
I'll just leave this here

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:42:29 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17044 on: February 09, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »
Many years ago my brother was working construction up in Alaska during the oil boom. I was visiting my mom and we called him on Easter. He said the weather was great people were out in shorts having BBQ's on their back porches, things like that. We asked what the temperature was and he said around 20 F, ~-6 C. We said WHAT!!! That's f-ing cold.
He said, well it was -20 F, ~-29 C, just a couple of days before.  It's all relative.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #17045 on: February 09, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
I can vouch. After several months of -40 weather a nice day of -14 feels like summer. Or at least spring.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17046 on: February 09, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »
As a man who grew up in Arizona. I do not understand why you all like the cold.

I live in a colder state now and I'm utterly miserable. How do you all do it? And what is it with this white stuff? It's not pretty! IT'S A NUISANCE.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #17047 on: February 09, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »

I live in a colder state now and I'm utterly miserable. How do you all do it? And what is it with this white stuff? It's not pretty! IT'S A NUISANCE.

Because I physically die when exposed to temperatures over 25 degrees celsius. Or 77 degrees american. With cold you can always add layers. With heat, there is only so much you can take off. Though I will say I don't like things too cold. After a certain point it just sucks. Ahhh... if only the temperature average could be fixed to be +20 to -20 degrees celsius. Nothing higher, nothing lower. Then I would be a very happy man.

And snow is very pretty, in fact, I think my enjoyment of nature greatly expands with winter. No bugs. No pollen. No sweating after walking at a slight incline. But I will confess, it doesn't play nicely with cities. The aforementioned 40 cm of snow turned a regular morning into chaos for most people out there.

Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17048 on: February 10, 2017, 12:40:43 AM »
Because I physically die when exposed to temperatures over 25 degrees celsius. Or 77 degrees american. With cold you can always add layers. With heat, there is only so much you can take off. Though I will say I don't like things too cold. After a certain point it just sucks. Ahhh... if only the temperature average could be fixed to be +20 to -20 degrees celsius. Nothing higher, nothing lower. Then I would be a very happy man.

And snow is very pretty, in fact, I think my enjoyment of nature greatly expands with winter. No bugs. No pollen. No sweating after walking at a slight incline. But I will confess, it doesn't play nicely with cities. The aforementioned 40 cm of snow turned a regular morning into chaos for most people out there.

This, exactly, except I currently am located in one of those dumb hot places. It was about 72 Fahrenheit a few weeks ago, and it's winter here. Definitely no pretty snow. :/
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #17049 on: February 10, 2017, 02:29:13 AM »
This, exactly, except I currently am located in one of those dumb hot places. It was about 72 Fahrenheit a few weeks ago, and it's winter here. Definitely no pretty snow. :/

I vote that we ban all temperatures above 40 C. It just can't be allowed anymore
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #17050 on: February 10, 2017, 02:42:29 AM »

as someone who was born and grew up in Russia, I do not understand how it is fashionable to live in a warm climate. plus my health especially not let me make the weather warmer than +23°C, so perfect for myself, I think, from -15 to +15.
so I think that susceptibility to climate depends on your habits. where you were born and raised, on your medical condition and convenience and etc.
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17051 on: February 10, 2017, 02:48:29 AM »
Forecast for today was 36C. It was already 38.7C by midafternoon. Does not want to know.

Vafhudr, I completely agree with your taste in weather. I live where I do for a number of reasons, but the climate is not among them. Being a tshirts in the snow kind of metabolism, 40C + is an ordeal, for me and for my plants. Still, the moon is full tomorrow morning, and the birds are making a fuss, so something may change soon. Hope it's for the better!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #17052 on: February 10, 2017, 05:30:06 AM »
I think the weather went under 0C for maybe 10 minutes here, which is incredibly annoying because we didn't even have a particularly hot summer to offset it.

In any case I think my ideal temperature range is along the lines of -15 to 25, so that even at the hottest I can deal with it by only wearing dresses (which is what I try to spend the summer doing anyway, as I love dresses and skirts but wearing them to school feels strange).
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #17053 on: February 10, 2017, 06:56:23 AM »
No bugs. No pollen.

I prefer bugs I can swat if they get annoying. Because in the winter, I have to deal with the viruses. All. Winter. Long. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been sick in summer in my life, but I get sick on average 3 to 5 times a year Every. Single. Winter. and I HATE being sick, which is far worse than anything pollen could do to me.

With cold you can always add layers. With heat, there is only so much you can take off.

But having to put on so many layers and layers and layers just to step out the door is exactly my problem! I hate having to pile on so many layers of clothing, I can't move freely, carrying anything is that much more of a chore, and gods forbid I should ever have to defend myself in long coat and snowboots! (And yes, I have to pile on the layers, because if I don't do it, I will get sick.)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #17054 on: February 10, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »

For me, cold weather energizes me. I like walking outside when it's cold, I love snow, ice and frost both aesthetically and just because.. I do? There's this silly theory that people tend to like the season they were born in, and for me it holds. I can see plenty of advantages to living in a warmer climate too, and I actually enjoy summer as well. I just prefer winter.

(Also, I very rarely get sick regardless of season, and for some reason I associate the crisp winter air with health and cleanness.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:25:10 AM by Sc0ut »