Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387824 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2130 on: December 05, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »
Weeeeeeeeekeeeeeeend!
Only two more weeks of being an adult, then a break, and then I can go back to school, that familiar rut...

Yes! Weekend! I'm going to read a few chapters of aRTD to my mom and brother. Then we'll eat cheese and crackers and chocolate and mom will teach us how to play Pictionary and my sister isn't here! Then I get to go to bed at a reasonable hour for the first time in two weeks! Tomorrow I have a Chior concert and Sunday I have church and gift wrapping at the book store! I'm so excited! (Though I have yet to figure out where I'll fit in three chapters of my history textbook, an analysis of a poem, the writing of a poem, and the myriad of other things I need to do. Ah, well!)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2131 on: December 05, 2014, 08:05:22 PM »
Yes! Weekend! I'm going to read a few chapters of aRTD to my mom and brother. Then we'll eat cheese and crackers and chocolate and mom will teach us how to play Pictionary and my sister isn't here! Then I get to go to bed at a reasonable hour for the first time in two weeks! Tomorrow I have a Chior concert and Sunday I have church and gift wrapping at the book store! I'm so excited! (Though I have yet to figure out where I'll fit in three chapters of my history textbook, an analysis of a poem, the writing of a poem, and the myriad of other things I need to do. Ah, well!)
Myriad of things sounds about right.  Has your brother been reading with y'all for long? 
Finals week starts this Monday, so my roommates are... well, they're not too fussed.  One of them is taking a shower now, preparing for his frat's Christmas party, and much alcohol consumption.  The other two are... doing something somewhere I'm sure.

Let's see, this weekend I've got... Secret Santa things of some kind to do (but I need to work back up the inspiration again *sigh*), forum stuff, and I need to do some more Norwegian lessons, because I only did one this week.  But next weekend, I'm travelling south to my parents' house again because one of my sisters is flying back from Oklahoma with her husband, and we're all going to hang out for Christmas.  I'm super excited for that.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2132 on: December 05, 2014, 08:17:53 PM »
Agh I'm so jealous of you guys getting to shirk adult-life XP
I've got to retake my driving theory test because my license expired, and mum wants me to put my CV in at the museum for a summer job: working with people O___O but I'm too terrified ;__; and then I need to buy and start reading stuff for next years classes. Aaaaaagggghhhh

Edit: and I've also got to fill out a whole load of forms from the hospital-dentist-folk because the local dentist was incorrect in telling me I'd only need 2 wisdom teeth out with local anesthetic: the city dentist said I need all 4 out, in hospital, with general anesthetic which is ALL MY FEARS AND NIGHTMARES ROLLED INTO ONE. Man, I can't even think about it for too long or I'll start crying X'0 ugh I'm so lame
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:49:15 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2133 on: December 05, 2014, 08:22:43 PM »
Myriad of things sounds about right.  Has your brother been reading with y'all for long? 
Finals week starts this Monday, so my roommates are... well, they're not too fussed.  One of them is taking a shower now, preparing for his frat's Christmas party, and much alcohol consumption.  The other two are... doing something somewhere I'm sure.

Let's see, this weekend I've got... Secret Santa things of some kind to do (but I need to work back up the inspiration again *sigh*), forum stuff, and I need to do some more Norwegian lessons, because I only did one this week.  But next weekend, I'm travelling south to my parents' house again because one of my sisters is flying back from Oklahoma with her husband, and we're all going to hang out for Christmas.  I'm super excited for that.

I read to my mom all the time and my brother usually isn't involved, though sometimes he will join us. She teaches high school English and I'm a high schooler, so I've taken to reading popular teen fiction aloud as she's driving so that we have some idea of what people are talking about. He's not normally interested in those because he's ten, but he likes aRTD okay.
Our finals aren't till the end of January. Have fun!
And hmmm... I've completely neglected - though at least have thought about - the Secret Santa and my outside-of-school German practice. I'd better get on that.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2134 on: December 05, 2014, 08:23:04 PM »
Weekend, yasssss! My week was soooo long. Unfortunately, my roommate's boyfriend is over and I don't have a social life so I can't leave. I think I'll have to be proactive and take an early trip to the Met for my art history class. But I like the Met, so I can look forward to that. I've got an in-class final essay to write next week; I'm not looking forward to that.  :P
I also just finished aRTD (I'd put off reading the last chapter for lack of time) and I'm kinda in the mood for drawing fanart, so... something may come of that.

Today was nice in its own right. I think I got a friend to start reading both of Minna's comics.  :) Said friend though also tried to convince me that my hair is blonde. I couldn't convince her otherwise even when showing her a picture where I'm pretty clearly a brunette. Oh, my petty troubles.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2135 on: December 05, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
But I like the Met, so I can look forward to that. I've got an in-class final essay to write next week; I'm not looking forward to that.  :P
I also just finished aRTD (I'd put off reading the last chapter for lack of time) and I'm kinda in the mood for drawing fanart, so... something may come of that.

Today was nice in its own right. I think I got a friend to start reading both of Minna's comics.  :) Said friend though also tried to convince me that my hair is blonde. I couldn't convince her otherwise even when showing her a picture where I'm pretty clearly a brunette. Oh, my petty troubles.

Yay. Essays.
Art moods are so much fun. I was in one earlier but it... disappeared? I don't know. I've read aRTD before, but my mom is really busy so now that we both have time we're jumping on the opportunity. (That is, once my brother is done reading Captain Underpants - ew - with her. We're too nice to tell him how stupid we think it is.)

The only person I've got to read the comic so far is family members - I suppose they count as friends. How do you have an argument on hair color? Really there is black, brown, light brown, blond, and white blond - not counting reds. That's how I think of it, anyway - otherwise I spend way to much time thinking about it. "Black, shiny black, very dark brown, dark brown, half dark brown, medium dark brown, medium brown..." and on and on and on.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2136 on: December 05, 2014, 08:45:06 PM »
Agh I'm so jealous of you guys getting to shirk adult-life XP
I've got to retake my driving theory test because my license expired, and mum wants me to put my CV in at the museum for a summer job: working with people O___O but I'm too terrified ;__; and then I need to buy and start reading stuff for next years classes. Aaaaaagggghhhh
Well, museums are nice at least. 
Why does your uni still make you read stuff?  ???

I read to my mom all the time and my brother usually isn't involved, though sometimes he will join us. She teaches high school English and I'm a high schooler, so I've taken to reading popular teen fiction aloud as she's driving so that we have some idea of what people are talking about. He's not normally interested in those because he's ten, but he likes aRTD okay.
Our finals aren't till the end of January. Have fun!
And hmmm... I've completely neglected - though at least have thought about - the Secret Santa and my outside-of-school German practice. I'd better get on that.
I'll have fun watching them study desperately for their exams.  Internships have their bonuses.  I'll also be enjoying the extra quiet, because 24 hour quiet hours have started now, which is infinitely more pleasant when you don't have paper-based exam-death awaiting you. 

Weekend, yasssss! My week was soooo long. Unfortunately, my roommate's boyfriend is over and I don't have a social life so I can't leave. I think I'll have to be proactive and take an early trip to the Met for my art history class. But I like the Met, so I can look forward to that. I've got an in-class final essay to write next week; I'm not looking forward to that.  :P

My roommate's been cool enough to wait until I'm gone for a weekend to bring one of his many, many lady-friends over. 
Yeah, you finished it!  Now you know!

I'd love to have my old, blonde hair back.  It'll be black in a decade or so, though, before it all falls out.
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2137 on: December 05, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »

Eh...my weekend...is not so great, especially since I was out pretty much all of today and am really tired, but I've got tests and things tomorrow so I can't really rest. :'( Oh well.

The Met is amazing. And I speak even only having gone there a really long time ago. Essays, not so much. Hope you can do well on it.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2138 on: December 05, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
My holiday started some days ago, only two exams remaining which are scattered around around some weeks.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2139 on: December 05, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »
My holiday started some days ago, only two exams remaining which are scattered around around some weeks.
You have exams on your holiday?
Oh, and also, welcome to the safe-zone!
Feel free to PM.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2140 on: December 05, 2014, 09:07:42 PM »
You have exams on your holiday?
Well, 'holiday'. We don't have actual holidays in university (except some special occasions), it's just time of empty schedules  ;)

Oh, and also, welcome to the safe-zone!
Finally managed to get my passport stamped :V

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2141 on: December 05, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
Yay. Essays.
Art moods are so much fun. I was in one earlier but it... disappeared? I don't know. I've read aRTD before, but my mom is really busy so now that we both have time we're jumping on the opportunity. (That is, once my brother is done reading Captain Underpants - ew - with her. We're too nice to tell him how stupid we think it is.)

The only person I've got to read the comic so far is family members - I suppose they count as friends. How do you have an argument on hair color? Really there is black, brown, light brown, blond, and white blond - not counting reds. That's how I think of it, anyway - otherwise I spend way to much time thinking about it. "Black, shiny black, very dark brown, dark brown, half dark brown, medium dark brown, medium brown..." and on and on and on.

I had art moods so much this week but no free time to act on them. And painting for class of course does not help. :P
I wish we'd had the argument in a drugstore so I could go to the hair dye section and prove that my hair is, in fact, "light brown."

My roommate's been cool enough to wait until I'm gone for a weekend to bring one of his many, many lady-friends over. 
Yeah, you finished it!  Now you know!

I'm never gone for the weekend is the problem... I live too far away to leave.
I loved aRTD, much more than I was expecting to. But now that I've read it I want the book... :/

The Met is amazing. And I speak even only having gone there a really long time ago. Essays, not so much. Hope you can do well on it.

I do love the Met. (I don't love that I have to pay to get in, though.)
Oof, the essay's on Hamlet. I was half-asleep the whole time I read Hamlet. Might have to binge on Sparknotes.

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2142 on: December 05, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
I'm never gone for the weekend is the problem... I live too far away to leave.
I loved aRTD, much more than I was expecting to. But now that I've read it I want the book... :/

I do love the Met. (I don't love that I have to pay to get in, though.)
Oof, the essay's on Hamlet. I was half-asleep the whole time I read Hamlet. Might have to binge on Sparknotes.
Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until she puts more up for sale.  Though, with her moving back to Finland, that might not be too far away.

You can watch The Lion King if you need to know Hamlet's basics.  Quotes, on the other hand...
Yeah, Sparknotes is probably the safer option.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2143 on: December 05, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »
Well, museums are nice at least. 
Why does your uni still make you read stuff?  ???
I'll have fun watching them study desperately for their exams.  Internships have their bonuses.  I'll also be enjoying the extra quiet, because 24 hour quiet hours have started now, which is infinitely more pleasant when you don't have paper-based exam-death awaiting you. 

I'd love to have my old, blonde hair back.  It'll be black in a decade or so, though, before it all falls out.
I have to read stuff because I'm doing an English major...where, y'know, you read stuff ;P

Half my exams were during class time and the study week ;__; those quiet hour things sound like a good idea.

How do you have an argument on hair color? Really there is black, brown, light brown, blond, and white blond - not counting reds. That's how I think of it, anyway - otherwise I spend way to much time thinking about it. "Black, shiny black, very dark brown, dark brown, half dark brown, medium dark brown, medium brown..." and on and on and on.
Heh, I'm the same X'D so many shades of brown..
I've had kids tell me my hair was green-brown or black, the hair dresser says ash blonde, friends say mousy brown, and my family just say it's brown....it can't choose a colour :P

Aw, at least there's just two! But why are they so spread out? Is that a usual thing? ???
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2144 on: December 05, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »
I've had kids tell me my hair was green-brown or black, the hair dresser says ash blonde, friends say mousy brown, and my family just say it's brown....it can't choose a colour :P

Another friend who was in on the same argument was adamant that my hair was "ash blonde."

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until she puts more up for sale.  Though, with her moving back to Finland, that might not be too far away.

I knowwww  :P Not in time for Christmas, unfortunately. Might have to pay for it with my own money.

You can watch The Lion King if you need to know Hamlet's basics.  Quotes, on the other hand...
Yeah, Sparknotes is probably the safer option.

Heh I wish. That wouldn't help at all. It's going to be about characterization and analysis stuff. My teacher gave us a list of prompts that he might use, and they were all pulled off the internet so I can probably get something from that too...