Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424239 times)

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2115 on: December 04, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »

For student that is a lot.
And even for common worker it's kinda expensive.

Got it. The last time I bought kebab it costed me less than 1€. Than again, it was a long time ago, and € itself used to be cheaper, so it was like 2€ back then...
Think I should stop talking about money. I feel overwhelmed with spleen when I do.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2116 on: December 04, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
My family just makes our own kebabs. I don't know how people normally do it, but we stick meat, green peppers, and onions on a stick, then cook it and call it good.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2117 on: December 04, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
Isn't sushi popular there? It is where I live, a sushi-bar on every corner, yeah.

Yep.  Maybe not quite as popular as pizza or Chinese food, but certainly there are a lot of sushi bars in urbanized parts of California.  They are somewhat more expensive -- definitely in the "restaurant" category as opposed to "fast-food chains" -- but popular.  In fact, you can buy little trays of ready-made sushi in most supermarkets. 

The public schools even serve sushi for lunch in Palo Alto -- one of the richest and most educated towns in California, due to all the Stanford professors, tech millionaires, and venture capitalists.  This generally confirms everyone else's assumptions that they're snobs. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2118 on: December 04, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »
My family just makes our own kebabs. I don't know how people normally do it, but we stick meat, green peppers, and onions on a stick, then cook it and call it good.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2119 on: December 04, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

Oh my, I've got confused with all there translations and got it totally wrong. Sure, kebab is that thing you decribed. And I was thinking about shawarma all the time. What a slowpoke I am, shame on me  ;D People here do make their own kebab, too. Or rather a specific type with the same concept. It has become sort of traditional to cook it when you gather in a company and go somewhere for a picnic - without calling it picnic, though - and make a fire, and play guitar and sing all night through and drink, duh.

Yep.  Maybe not quite as popular as pizza or Chinese food, but certainly there are a lot of sushi bars in urbanized parts of California.  They are somewhat more expensive -- definitely in the "restaurant" category as opposed to "fast-food chains" -- but popular.  In fact, you can buy little trays of ready-made sushi in most supermarkets. 

The nicer is the place, the higher is the price. They take extra money to allow you to eat/drink from real dishes, not the plastic ones, and enjoying relaxing atmosphere. But we still have some suchi joints that can be classified as fast food. And sushi delivery, like a pizza delivery, is here too, of course.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #2120 on: December 05, 2014, 05:14:13 AM »
I think the most liked German fastfood is Döner (kebab inside an bread, with lots of salad and sauces), and maybe Currywurst/Pommes (sausage, curry sauce, french fries).

I shouldn't have googled for Döner images, now I'm hungry.   :-\

Talking about restaurant chains (and blocks), may I add this to the discussion:
It's one of my favourite restaurants, but expensive (at least for me) and I've only seen them in Hamburg and Berlin.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2121 on: December 05, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
Not to forget that California has it's own "fusion blend" of sushi, like the California roll.

Sushi is becoming something of a fad here in Norway, which isn't all that surprising considering that we have good quality fish readily available. I've never tried sushi though. I've been telling myself that I should reward myself with a sushi meal if I get good grades, but in the end I always balk at the price.

There's the pizza chains (Dolly Dimple's in particular is quite good), not to mention Egon and Big Horn Steak House (don't know much about fast food in the rest of Europe), although those three are all very expensive while still being fast food. Although, I am more fond of the local grills and fast food joints than any of the chains.

You're not wrong, but I'm reluctant to call those fast food because they're about as pricy as a meal at a Chinese or a tapas restaurant. We've got both Peppes and Dolly's in the area but we order from a non-franchise pizzeria because of the price difference. I've never been to Big Horn but if it's anything like Steakers it's probably too expensive for my shallow pockets (also my dad is from Møre, stinginess is in my blood).

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2122 on: December 05, 2014, 08:57:08 AM »
I have to admit, that I'm avoiding fast foods, because for the money it costs, I am able to cook something better at home. I have to spend my own time on it, yes, but with ab bit of practice, I am able to do the dishes, the washing and some other cleaning stuff as well parallel.  I've gotten a bit picky on my food so that's the best way for me. 7-9 Euros would be a large (good) Pizza, with a salad around here. If meetings occur we sometimes order at our local pizza man. And erverytime we have to teach the delivering one sums. He's always afraid, he does not get the right change and every time he notices that the sums are not fitting because of the additional tip :D
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #2123 on: December 05, 2014, 10:06:36 AM »
"kebab" (which just means "meat" really) is often used interchangeably to mean "sish kebab" (stuff on skewers; "sish" means "skewer") and "döner kebab" (the thing on that bit spinny thing; "döner" means "spinning").

"döner kebab" is also called "shawarma" (which is an arabic interpretation of the turkish word "çevirmek", "to turn") or "gyros" (which is greek for "turn"; in modern greek it's pronounced more like yeeros).

(In French it's sometimes also called "sandwich grec" ("greek sandwich") or just "grec").

Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2124 on: December 05, 2014, 10:22:18 AM »
"kebab" (which just means "meat" really) is often used interchangeably to mean "sish kebab" (stuff on skewers; "sish" means "skewer") and "döner kebab" (the thing on that bit spinny thing; "döner" means "spinning").

"döner kebab" is also called "shawarma" (which is an arabic interpretation of the turkish word "çevirmek", "to turn") or "gyros" (which is greek for "turn"; in modern greek it's pronounced more like yeeros).

(In French it's sometimes also called "sandwich grec" ("greek sandwich") or just "grec").

On the Balkans they have this thing called Cevapcici (meat in pita, without the vegetables associated with döners) which presumably is a local variety of kebab. It's really good, if y'all ever go to the Balkans make sure to try it.

Fenris

« Reply #2125 on: December 05, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
You're not wrong, but I'm reluctant to call those fast food because they're about as pricy as a meal at a Chinese or a tapas restaurant. We've got both Peppes and Dolly's in the area but we order from a non-franchise pizzeria because of the price difference. I've never been to Big Horn but if it's anything like Steakers it's probably too expensive for my shallow pockets (also my dad is from Møre, stinginess is in my blood).
I still consider them fast food, even if its insanely priced (well, dolly's isn't as bad as Big Horn Steak House). I went to Big Horn Steak House once, and ended up having to just get some water and some salad because a 200 gram steak was something like 200 kroner.

I haven't really seen many sushi restaurants in Norway (there was one that opened in my nearest town a few years back, but it went bankrupt within the year), but I suppose it might be more a thing in the larger cities. There's a lot of Chinese though, mostly of questionable authenticity and quality.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2126 on: December 05, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »
I haven't really seen many sushi restaurants in Norway (there was one that opened in my nearest town a few years back, but it went bankrupt within the year), but I suppose it might be more a thing in the larger cities. There's a lot of Chinese though, mostly of questionable authenticity and quality.

Funny thing, in my hometown the situation is just the opposite. Amount of Chinese joints equals to zero. We had one a while ago, but it was closed rather quickly. Japanese food, on the contrary, is increasing in popularity year to year, especially amongst young people.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2127 on: December 05, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
Rollo beat me to it, but yeah, that stuff on the picture is Döner. I'm a sucker for shish kebab, which is my world is lamb mince on a skewer meat that is but on the grill, set on f***ing fire and preferrably served in a big soft flat breat thing similar to a tortilla. My favourite shish place that I always go to in Oslo just closed, and I haven't been able to find one that's nearly as good. :(

Kebab joints seem to be very popular on friday evenings among people with a blood alcohol content around 2 ppt. In fact I think those might be the largest customer groups for the joints I know of.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2128 on: December 05, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »
Kebab joints seem to be very popular on friday evenings among people with a blood alcohol content around 2 ppt. In fact I think those might be the largest customer groups for the joints I know of.

That is because nothing helps better than a good kebab (even vegetarian) against a headache in the morning. In the town I studied we students have been the best customers. Also their shops did not close during nights. We had at least three which opened until 5 o'clock in the morning which is quite unfamiliar in towns not larger than 80k inhabitants around here. Even the local McDonald's, Burgerking and KFC closed doors around 2 am, while the chinese guys opened very early but where the first to deliver around 11 AM when the earlybirds amongst the partyfolk got up ;).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2129 on: December 05, 2014, 07:47:15 PM »
Weeeeeeeeekeeeeeeend!
Only two more weeks of being an adult, then a break, and then I can go back to school, that familiar rut... 
Feel free to PM.