Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387730 times)

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16485 on: October 01, 2016, 05:27:55 PM »
So, I was looking back on the internet wayback machine and I found all of minna's really old comic still up on her site!
http://www.minnasundberg.fi/comic_old/2005_page1.htm

and an old blog post about it
Ohmygosh, I have a big pile of old comics that are pretty similar to this in plot and dialogue from back when I first started drawing comics. (Maybe 3 or 4 years ago.) The art in mine was so much worse though. ;D
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16486 on: October 01, 2016, 06:32:16 PM »
So, I was looking back on the internet wayback machine and I found all of minna's really old comic still up on her site!
http://www.minnasundberg.fi/comic_old/2005_page1.htm

and an old blog post about it

Heh, I saved this to my computer forever ago. Talk about art development :D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #16487 on: October 01, 2016, 10:28:21 PM »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #16488 on: October 02, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »
Nice.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #16489 on: October 02, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »
[ . . . ] Our market is in the Mount Pleasant show hall, with stalls inside or out depending on weather and stallholder numbers.
[ . . . ]
What do you farm?

Both my markets are entirely open air. I put up a professional model EZ up tent, and it'll stand up to some wind; but it has limits. If there's too much wind, the tents don't stay up, and displays blow over; I've seen even tables go over, in a whole lot less wind than it must have taken to blow down those pylons.

I'd show up for an indoor market, presuming I could get there. And I show up in the rain, and occasionally in the snow. But immediately post-hurricane with another one expected, I don't know that the villages would even want us there. Stands flying around in the wind are a hazard. My tent gets strapped to the van (except at the market at which the van needs to be moved away from the stand except while loading/unloading) and to five-gallon buckets full of sand; but again, wind that blows over pylons is a different sort of thing entirely.

-- I grow a little bit each of a lot of different vegetables, a bit of fruit and herbs, and what for this area is a fair amount of garlic; all of it certified organic. One of the weather issues is that the garlic once harvested needs to stay dry; as long as the tent doesn't blow away, though, I can manage that, even in quite a bit of rain, though sometimes with a bit of sudden rearrangement of the stand if it's raining sideways.

-- hey, the sun's unexpectedly come out here. I should probably go get the wet tent out of the van and set it up to dry. It did rain on both markets this week, which was rather a whack in the pocketbook, though much of what I brought will sell eventually. And we did really need the rain.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #16490 on: October 02, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »
Note to myself : find a way to cook hot meal for a next meet-up ::)
How did nobody suggest the Emil range of methods yet? :D

Possibly because of what happened to those heavy-duty powerline pylons up by Melrose. The storm just plucked them out of the ground and twisted them like wire coathangers.
You wouldn't happen to have boatloads of snow in winter, too ... ?

Just make sure you don't put them on the screen.
... why not? Minna's site has notable left and right margins, and how many way to still look at her work even during a power outage are there? :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16491 on: October 02, 2016, 06:22:08 PM »
JoB: we get snow, but not snow like that! Looks terrifying!

Thorny: that sounds interesting! I grow chemical-free, don't have my organic certification because out here the process of certification is very expensive. Might do it when I have more money. We've had markets cancelled because of bushfire alerts, and in one case had the town evacuated ahead of an unexpected fire while the market was actually in progress, but only once because of storm/flooding. This being Australia, extreme weather events are fairly common. Some of our vendors do those EZ-up tents - they are a great idea!

And ooh, organic garlic! What varieties do you grow?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16492 on: October 02, 2016, 06:28:52 PM »
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Róisín

« Reply #16493 on: October 02, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »
Where is that? Looks like what happened to our pylons with the addition of ice!

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16494 on: October 02, 2016, 08:07:38 PM »
That was in Québec in 1998. Most of the province fell into the dark from a few days to a few week, depending on the region. For instance, where I lived it was for two weeks. Good thing we had a fireplace.

Róisín

« Reply #16495 on: October 02, 2016, 09:56:16 PM »
That must have been nasty. Very lucky you had a fireplace! And I'm just about to go and put the kettle on the woodstove, because another band of storms has rolled in, and the power is out AGAIN, grrrr.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16496 on: October 02, 2016, 10:06:27 PM »
Fireplace get a bad rap nowadays but I am firmly for them. The experience taught me that for all it's wonders, modern technology is rather fragile. I like to have the old stuff in back up.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #16497 on: October 02, 2016, 10:20:59 PM »
Fireplace get a bad rap nowadays but I am firmly for them. The experience taught me that for all it's wonders, modern technology is rather fragile. I like to have the old stuff in back up.

Oh yes. A well tended wood stove and decent stock of logs has saved my family from some rather cold powerless nights over the years!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #16498 on: October 02, 2016, 10:29:03 PM »
Oh yes. A well tended wood stove and decent stock of logs has saved my family from some rather cold powerless nights over the years!

Whether we have power or not, our wood-burning fireplace is a winter staple in my household! We have a small electric one downstairs, but I think wood-burning is far superior, and has a much nicer ambiance anyway. :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Róisín

« Reply #16499 on: October 02, 2016, 11:47:32 PM »
Yeah, quite apart from not needing electricity, the woodstove has a different quality of heat - feels somehow deeper and more substantial? Words! Don't really know how to express it, but a woodfire always feels more alive. And is great for slow-cooked stews. Wherever I live, I never like to rely on only one form of energy. And also why I keep a store of both standard batteries, rechargeables, and storage chargers for mobile phone and tablets, because our fixed phones go out when the power does.