Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2425193 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16470 on: September 29, 2016, 02:04:57 PM »
Barring disasters or further damage to the roof, we should be fine. My garden is presently flooded, but should survive.

Glad you're OK and even still able to check in.

You can get eventually some useful information about what in the garden best survives (I hope brief) inundation. I hope the answer is 'most of it.' -- do you need to be concerned about what might have been in the floodwater?

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16471 on: September 29, 2016, 06:12:23 PM »
Yeah, I probably do need to worry about what's in the water, sadly. My root veges and leaf veges, other than those in raised beds, are probably ruined for the year, but the raised beds will feed us. Fortunately a lot of what I grow is fruit trees, and my main money crop is flowers.  The lilac and viburnums are fine so far, just coming into bloom, and being tree flowers they're okay. I'm hoping the roses will recover. The bluebells seem to love it, they are flowering heartily, likewise the tulips unless the flowers are actually submerged, which kills them. And the swamp lilies are likely to be the best in years.

My place is tiny, only a third of an acre, but I try to plant it as a permaculture, with things that like different conditions, so there will always be something to eat and to sell.

We had about fifteen hours when the internet was off,  along with the phones, because the mobile phone towers were down, and some damaged, and about eighteen hours without power, but it's on at present, and I am frantically recharging battery packs to have power when it goes off again. We should be fine!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #16472 on: September 29, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
Aaand the State Government here has just declared a State of Emergency. Possibly because of what happened to those heavy-duty powerline pylons up by Melrose. The storm just plucked them out of the ground and twisted them like wire coathangers. I can't do links, but there should be pics on the news broadcast feeds.

Here we go...

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16473 on: September 29, 2016, 08:09:44 PM »
It's a tad windy down there I take it.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Róisín

« Reply #16474 on: September 29, 2016, 08:52:43 PM »
Yeah, very. A tad extreme even for our weather. Thanks for putting those up, Wyrm, I can't make that stuff work. We're still okay. At present it is cold and still and foggy, with more storms forecast for later. I'm about to go out and feed the poultry, clear  away some storm debris, and pick flowers for tomorrow's market while we have a lull. The lilacs smell wonderful!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #16475 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »
Here we go...

Something about Man's works bowing to the might of Nature....

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16476 on: September 29, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »
Yeah, very. A tad extreme even for our weather. Thanks for putting those up, Wyrm, I can't make that stuff work. We're still okay. At present it is cold and still and foggy, with more storms forecast for later. I'm about to go out and feed the poultry, clear  away some storm debris, and pick flowers for tomorrow's market while we have a lull. The lilacs smell wonderful!

It is interesting how the world smells wonderful after heavy storms.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Róisín

« Reply #16477 on: September 29, 2016, 10:47:20 PM »
Isn't it? Something to do with ozone and washed air, maybe? And as Iwas cutting lilac flowers I noticed that my myoga ginger and some of the cold-climate orchids are resprouting. I feared the summer had killed them. Something good always turns up.

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #16478 on: September 29, 2016, 11:06:27 PM »
Here we go...

Lord thunderin' Moses. D: That's... quite a thing.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

« Reply #16479 on: September 29, 2016, 11:14:11 PM »
As I said, we're having Weather. Not much fun!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16480 on: September 30, 2016, 12:18:40 AM »
Yayyyyyy SSSS Stickers !!! <3  I finally have something to cover my laptop with !!!

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16481 on: September 30, 2016, 11:46:48 AM »
Yayyyyyy SSSS Stickers !!! <3  I finally have something to cover my laptop with !!!

Just make sure you don't put them on the screen.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #16482 on: September 30, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »
I'm about to go out and feed the poultry, clear  away some storm debris, and pick flowers for tomorrow's market while we have a lull.

From one farmer pausing briefly in the middle of a market harvest to another:

I salute your determination. I'm not sure we'd be holding market in the middle of all that, if they're expecting it to start up again shortly. -- is your market open air, or under shelter?

Róisín

« Reply #16483 on: October 01, 2016, 12:28:52 AM »
Have to be determined, I have a mortgage, and customers who expect me. Including one lady who regularly buys my flowers for the tables in her restaurant, and a couple of people who are building food gardens or collections of rare plants, dye plants etc,who buy a couple of new plants each week. Fortunately a lot of my flowers are bulbs (bluebells, tulips, dutch iris and suchlike which can survive the weather) hardy natives such as boronia, eriostemon and thomasia that flower in winter, and tree or vine flowers such as lilac, viburnum and wisteria, that are up out of the goop on the ground. I'm a smallholder rather than a full on farmer, having only a (very densely planted) third of an acre. I sell mostly flowers, fresh herb bunches and potted herbs, fresh fruit and veges in season, and cottage garden plants, wild food plants, dye plants and old herbs used for medicine and magic.

It's a way for a retired and somewhat limping ex-botany lecturer to make a living, along with teaching workshops on foraging, bushcraft and wilderness survival, dyeing and perfuming. Our market is in the Mount Pleasant show hall, with stalls inside or out depending on weather and stallholder numbers.

This morning actually wasn't too bad, even sunny, but now it's around 2pm, and I'm taking a break from unloading. I think another band of storms is coming in and the air pressure/humidity is changing, because I can feel every pin and plate in my leg at present! Ah well,back to unloading. I actually had a pretty good morning!

What do you farm?

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16484 on: October 01, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
So, I was looking back on the internet wayback machine and I found all of minna's really old comic still up on her site!
http://www.minnasundberg.fi/comic_old/2005_page1.htm

and an old blog post about it
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 04:01:25 PM by Luth Nightbreeze »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race