Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411302 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1560 on: November 19, 2014, 10:27:36 PM »
I once ripped a can in half with some lab equipment that was basically a coil of wire and an electrical storage unit.  Put those together and you get a mega-magnet for a fraction of a second.  It had to charge up for like 15 minutes, but it was so cooooool.  It made a loud humming noise and threw the two ends of the can in opposite directions, across the room. 

Way back in the day, my 7th/8th grade science teacher (same guy both years; small school) brought in a snake he shot that was trying to eat his chickens.  He nailed its corpse to a plank of wood and brought it to class to cut open in front of everyone.  The heart was still beating and it was really cool. 
Chemistry was never too interesting to me  :-\  I doubled up chemistry and physics in high school, and just breezed right through chem, because it was kind of boring... physics was the one I cared about.  It was nice when we got to burn and mix stuff though.  Were they hydrogen explosions that made a loud pop in a tube?  I think that was something we did too.
O____O Note to self: Keep all odds and ends away from MacGyver-Eich.

Wait the snake was still alive?! D8 Eeeeek creepy....

I was at an all-girls school so...no explosions *cries*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1561 on: November 19, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
O____O Note to self: Keep all odds and ends away from MacGyver-Eich.

Wait the snake was still alive?! D8 Eeeeek creepy....

I was at an all-girls school so...no explosions *cries*
I didn't build it, oooooh nooooo.  Capacitors and solenoids are well beyond me; just give me some pens and paper and I can make something mechanical, but not electrical.  I just got to use the lab equipment.  This was a setup the size of a large cabinet, filled with wires and chips and plugs and such.  Plus, I'm not much of a tinkerer, I'm more of a... thinkerer.  Yeah.  Thinkerer.

The snake was dead, and had been for several hours, but its nerves were still firing off and its brain still had some power left in it to use up. 

My chem teacher was a lady.  A very Sigrun-y lady, who liked to blow stuff up and had three sons who took after her... did y'all not have a teacher like that?
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1562 on: November 19, 2014, 11:08:18 PM »
I didn't build it, oooooh nooooo.  Capacitors and solenoids are well beyond me; just give me some pens and paper and I can make something mechanical, but not electrical.  I just got to use the lab equipment.  This was a setup the size of a large cabinet, filled with wires and chips and plugs and such.  Plus, I'm not much of a tinkerer, I'm more of a... thinkerer.  Yeah.  Thinkerer.

The snake was dead, and had been for several hours, but its nerves were still firing off and its brain still had some power left in it to use up. 

My chem teacher was a lady.  A very Sigrun-y lady, who liked to blow stuff up and had three sons who took after her... did y'all not have a teacher like that?
Note to self: odds and ends can be left out :P

Our science teacher was a stick-thin gym fanatic lady who got regular Botox and had her eyebrows tattooed on so she didn't have to keep buying eyebrow pencils... O___O I'm serious.
The cool science teacher was a large bald guy who was more into mechanics :) and he had a little henchman assistant who wore a lab coat all the time. They were really cool.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1563 on: November 19, 2014, 11:18:46 PM »
It's hovering around freezing here.  If the roads are icy, I'm going to be in huge trouble.

Just saw a weather report about a snowstorm over there!! (On the....west? Of the country?) You weren't kidding, huh. O_______O
Sometimes I forget snow is a real thing that happens

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1564 on: November 20, 2014, 12:03:20 AM »
Just saw a weather report about a snowstorm over there!! (On the....west? Of the country?) You weren't kidding, huh. O_______O
Sometimes I forget snow is a real thing that happens
Yep, it's in Buffalo, New York.  Poor NY.  Oh gosh. 
I heard a story about a guy who got in his car, drove around just fine, and then 10 minutes later, could not drive anymore.  We just had a record setting summer, and now we're set up to have a record setting winter right after it.  And last winter already set recooooords!  There were things I heard about people farther north whose windows spontaneously shattered from the cold.  At this rate, it'll be that cold in a couple of weeks... it's only the beginning.  *Wide-eyed distance-stare*

I've only seen snow a few times in my life, and much more since starting college.  And I've had exactly 1 white Christmas... and so have my parents.  Snow is rare here, but it does happen sometimes, and much more in the last 2 years.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1565 on: November 20, 2014, 12:16:30 AM »
Yep, it's in Buffalo, New York.  Poor NY.  Oh gosh. 
I heard a story about a guy who got in his car, drove around just fine, and then 10 minutes later, could not drive anymore.  We just had a record setting summer, and now we're set up to have a record setting winter right after it.  And last winter already set recooooords!  There were things I heard about people farther north whose windows spontaneously shattered from the cold.  At this rate, it'll be that cold in a couple of weeks... it's only the beginning.  *Wide-eyed distance-stare*

I've only seen snow a few times in my life, and much more since starting college.  And I've had exactly 1 white Christmas... and so have my parents.  Snow is rare here, but it does happen sometimes, and much more in the last 2 years.
That's crazy! OAO keep the generator handy I suppose then? And stock up on jumpers :P
A white Christmas would be cool! As long as it was sensible amounts of snow....

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1566 on: November 20, 2014, 12:23:52 AM »
Well, they're quite far north of me.  I'm close enough to the equator that I'm safe from that kind of cold.  It was just the right amount of snow: enough to play in and revel in the magnificence of, but not so much that it became a problem.
Still, that generator is only a 15 minute walk away...  I'd probably die if I tried to use it again.

Time for bed now.  Too many distractions keeping me up late.
To the goodnight thread!
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1567 on: November 20, 2014, 01:49:32 AM »
Well, they're quite far north of me.  I'm close enough to the equator that I'm safe from that kind of cold.  It was just the right amount of snow: enough to play in and revel in the magnificence of, but not so much that it became a problem.
Still, that generator is only a 15 minute walk away...  I'd probably die if I tried to use it again.

I'm from the south (well, the "south") and it would always get cold but not super far below freezing, and then it would never snow. My roommate asked me once what the most snow I'd ever seen was (she's actually from New York - she's seen, like, waist-high snow), and I can't say it's much more than seven inches... We get really paranoid in my hometown about snow warnings. We get a lot of snow warnings, but not a lot of actual snow. Usually it's just a dusting or doesn't stick if it snows at all. Once last year they closed school because of the cold - no joke. I'm really not prepared for all the snow and cold that's apparently coming up here this winter. At least I don't live in Buffalo.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1568 on: November 20, 2014, 06:44:19 AM »
I'm from the south (well, the "south") and it would always get cold but not super far below freezing, and then it would never snow. My roommate asked me once what the most snow I'd ever seen was (she's actually from New York - she's seen, like, waist-high snow), and I can't say it's much more than seven inches... We get really paranoid in my hometown about snow warnings. We get a lot of snow warnings, but not a lot of actual snow. Usually it's just a dusting or doesn't stick if it snows at all. Once last year they closed school because of the cold - no joke. I'm really not prepared for all the snow and cold that's apparently coming up here this winter. At least I don't live in Buffalo.
Yep. We're a little derpy down here in SC when the stuff shows up. Last year they shut down my entire university for a week because of an inch of snow.  Everybody ran to the stores and bought all the water and bread they could stuff in their shopping carts...  We have no method to handle it, because it's so rare.  The up-side is that snow days aren't actually (despite everyone rushing the super market) horrible ordeals of survival; we get to play and build snowmen in relative comfort.
I suspect the Buffalo citizens will be tunneling their way out of the city, before long.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1569 on: November 20, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »
Yep. We're a little derpy down here in SC when the stuff shows up. Last year they shut down my entire university for a week because of an inch of snow.  Everybody ran to the stores and bought all the water and bread they could stuff in their shopping carts...  We have no method to handle it, because it's so rare.  The up-side is that snow days aren't actually (despite everyone rushing the super market) horrible ordeals of survival; we get to play and build snowmen in relative comfort.
I suspect the Buffalo citizens will be tunneling their way out of the city, before long.
An entire inch huh? "Y'all" must have felt really smothered...
I should probably cut down on the sass at some point.
Anyways, I had an interesting discussion with a colleague about weird food we've eaten. Being from the Voss region my colleague predictably brought up smalahove (boiled sheep's head), arguing that the eyes are a delicacy. I countered with bear meat. We agreed to call it a draw.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1570 on: November 20, 2014, 07:07:03 AM »
Anyways, I had an interesting discussion with a colleague about weird food we've eaten. Being from the Voss region my colleague predictably brought up smalahove (boiled sheep's head), arguing that the eyes are a delicacy. I countered with bear meat. We agreed to call it a draw.
Agh! I would vote the head as being more scary, because the bear meat is meat, but the head is wool and offal and skull and blargh X___X

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1571 on: November 20, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »

Weird food, hmm. We have sheep's head around here, too, but I've never eaten it. I think the weirdest thing I've eaten is probably lily pads, and whatever they put in low-quality Australian sausages (seriously, it's a mystery)... but what other people would probably think is weirder is kudu meat. Somehow many people just can't get their heads around the fact that yes, antelopes are bred and killed for meat. They don't only turn up in the wild, and even when they do, they tend to be worse than grasshoppers towards crops, so they get shot a lot to keep their numbers managable.

I'm so supposed to be asleep right now, but instead of doing that I'm doing budgeting, and instead of doing that I'm posting here... ahahaha I'm sunk.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1572 on: November 20, 2014, 07:18:01 AM »
Agh! I would vote the head as being more scary, because the bear meat is meat, but the head is wool and offal and skull and blargh X___X

There's no wool, it's charred after all. Except for the eyes it's just normal lamb meat really. Well, it's got teeth and ears, but yeah, mostly regular meat.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1573 on: November 20, 2014, 08:02:46 AM »
There's no wool, it's charred after all. Except for the eyes it's just normal lamb meat really. Well, it's got teeth and ears, but yeah, mostly regular meat.

But you stick to eat the flesh. There are some folks who eat the brain as speciality. (Nonononono I won't scroll to afore posted notes saying that you are eating the brains, too).

At one of my biologiy classes we vistied a science lab and dissected a pig's head. As I was working intensely on the brain I fear I might not be able to eat brains if somebody would point it out to me. If I didn't know it would be like anything else one eats and does not know about.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1574 on: November 20, 2014, 09:33:33 AM »
But you stick to eat the flesh. There are some folks who eat the brain as speciality. (Nonononono I won't scroll to afore posted notes saying that you are eating the brains, too).

At one of my biologiy classes we vistied a science lab and dissected a pig's head. As I was working intensely on the brain I fear I might not be able to eat brains if somebody would point it out to me. If I didn't know it would be like anything else one eats and does not know about.

I've tried brain once. Apparently my whole family likes it, except for me. Come on, what are we, zombies?! Eating brains?!?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: