Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387241 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1545 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:27 PM »
... dear God NO!  :o
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1546 on: November 18, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
... dear God NO!  :o
WhhhhAAAaaaaAAAAAAAaaatttTTTTt?! X'D oh my gossssshhhhh no
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1547 on: November 18, 2014, 11:26:10 PM »
Last night was pretty awesome.  First, I accidentally wrote a pretty neat little guitar tune.  My roommate was actually humming it later after I finished playing, and that made me super happy.  Then, while I was typing a post on here, the power went out across campus.    Everything was dead, even the wifi... yeah, we had fun.  Our neighbors on the women's basketball team were smoking all of the pot and were high out of their minds, so we messed with them a little bit.  My roommate dressed up in his dementor-like Halloween costume and went from door to door scaring people out of their minds (starting with the high neighbors), while me and my other roommate sat back at our door trying not to laugh to loudly (my third roommate, the frat boy, was doing homework elsewhere).  After the midnight pizza guy delivered pizza to the neighbor's place, one of them came out carrying her bb-gun, and went to investigate the thugs that took away the electricity  X'D  After we finished messing with people and laughing at the neighbors, we started telling spooky stories around the... carpet.  We didn't have a campfire in the apartment, unfortunately, so we made due with the carpet...  I one-up'd all the stories with my final one about some people in a camp site who narrowly avoided cult-murder-death, complete with chanting and drums!  That lasted until about 1:15 a.m., and then we decided to go to bed.  But none of us could sleep, because the last few stories were actually kind of terrifying, so we decided to share the living room couches/futons.  Then, my frat boy roommate came back to the apartment when we were still awake, walked through the door, flipped the switch, and all the lights on campus came back on!

So, tl;dr: I wrote a song, two of my roommates and I had fun scaring people, then scaring ourselves, we were going to sleep in the living room because of the scary stories, but then we found out my frat boy roommate has superpowers. 
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1548 on: November 19, 2014, 03:58:28 AM »
Ah man, it was hot today ;___; and I woke up exhausted after having a weird dream that I'll post in the WDThread, but anyway.
I did all the housework and made sure my sister started studying for her two exams tomorrow, made her a sandwich and decided "HEy, y'KNow I'm so so tired I think I'll JuSt go to bed..."
Then I'm woken up by my other sister getting home and jumping on me saying "It's dinner time!" So I'm really confused because I thought it was 3pm but it was actually 7.30pm O___O
As soon as I wander out into the kitchen, my parents turn around and look at me saying, "Whoah, you still alive there?" I was an unsparkly mess apparently.
Then there was a weirder surprise: my little sister had made dinner?! Usually she's too lazy to make her own food (hence the sandwich I made) but she made pasta and a salad, causing me to think I'd woken up in an alternative universe....
I think it was only 25°C today......end-of-spring heat...why do you hate me so? ;____;

So, tl;dr: I wrote a song, two of my roommates and I had fun scaring people, then scaring ourselves, we were going to sleep in the living room because of the scary stories, but then we found out my frat boy roommate has superpowers.

Whaaaahahahahat? And I thought college was boring and uneventful! XP
Ohhhohhhhhoooooo I wanna know the ghost stories! 8'3
There's a spooky/haunting/supernatural thread somewhere here, right? I swear I saw one.
Unless it was a ghost~

Night Edit: Yup, barely 25° and the spontaneous blood noses have kicked-off for the season ;___; I went outside in the dark to find a cat, who was covered in sticky burr things, and suddenly wham. I had to hold the wriggly cat away from my body so she wouldn't get blood all over her. Ugh. *Yells to the sky à la Wrath of Kahn* Summeeeeeeeeeeerrrerrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm going to make a home in the freezer....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:23:04 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1549 on: November 19, 2014, 06:49:39 AM »
Ah man, it was hot today ;___; and I woke up exhausted after having a weird dream that I'll post in the WDThread, but anyway.
I did all the housework and made sure my sister started studying for her two exams tomorrow, made her a sandwich and decided "HEy, y'KNow I'm so so tired I think I'll JuSt go to bed..."
Then I'm woken up by my other sister getting home and jumping on me saying "It's dinner time!" So I'm really confused because I thought it was 3pm but it was actually 7.30pm O___O
As soon as I wander out into the kitchen, my parents turn around and look at me saying, "Whoah, you still alive there?" I was an unsparkly mess apparently.
Then there was a weirder surprise: my little sister had made dinner?! Usually she's too lazy to make her own food (hence the sandwich I made) but she made pasta and a salad, causing me to think I'd woken up in an alternative universe....
I think it was only 25°C today......end-of-spring heat...why do you hate me so? ;____;

Whaaaahahahahat? And I thought college was boring and uneventful! XP
Ohhhohhhhhoooooo I wanna know the ghost stories! 8'3
There's a spooky/haunting/supernatural thread somewhere here, right? I swear I saw one.
Unless it was a ghost~

Night Edit: Yup, barely 25° and the spontaneous blood noses have kicked-off for the season ;___; I went outside in the dark to find a cat, who was covered in sticky burr things, and suddenly wham. I had to hold the wriggly cat away from my body so she wouldn't get blood all over her. Ugh. *Yells to the sky à la Wrath of Kahn* Summeeeeeeeeeeerrrerrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm going to make a home in the freezer....
Quite the unusual turn of events.  I have a very hard time falling asleep during the day, so early sleep and naps are hard for me.  I have done it before and woken up super late though.  Home related wake up surprises are weeeeiiird.

Normally it is pretty uneventful.  I guess when electricity dies, things happen because we can't entertain ourselves with computers anymore.  We had to improvise.  I might share one of those stories; I think that thread was strictly for things that happen to you.

People get nose bleeds from heat!??  Why? 
It's hovering around freezing here.  If the roads are icy, I'm going to be in huge trouble.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1550 on: November 19, 2014, 07:01:16 AM »
Quite the unusual turn of events.  I have a very hard time falling asleep during the day, so early sleep and naps are hard for me.  I have done it before and woken up super late though.  Home related wake up surprises are weeeeiiird.

Normally it is pretty uneventful.  I guess when electricity dies, things happen because we can't entertain ourselves with computers anymore.  We had to improvise.  I might share one of those stories; I think that thread was strictly for things that happen to you.

People get nose bleeds from heat!??  Why? 
It's hovering around freezing here.  If the roads are icy, I'm going to be in huge trouble.

Heh, you guys must've reverted back into primitive pre-computer students! Duh Duhn duuuuuuuhn!!! O____O

I never sleep during the day unless there's something wrong with me, in this case, too much heat after yesterday's cold rains :/

Hmmm do you have special ice chain tyre things like Bella in Twilight? :P Otherwise, just drive to the conditions, allowing plenty of reaction time and distance.

I guess that's a thing? It happens whenever I get too hot, no matter the season: toasty café and a cocoa, classroom heating up too high, jumper's too thick, lots of sneezing, showers etc :/

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1551 on: November 19, 2014, 07:50:03 AM »
For some reason, I think my body does not like the chem lab. Not one bit. Today I almost fainted while in there. Twice. The teacher and all my classmates were pretty worried, said that I was very pale. Grrr, I missed half the lesson.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1552 on: November 19, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »
[Asks auntie Google for some imagery]
Umh, how many generations of crews exactly did that franchise burn through, anyway?

A lot. Power Ranger is basically synonymous with dispensable goon.

and then we decided to go to bed.  But none of us could sleep, because the last few stories were actually kind of terrifying, so we decided to share the living room couches/futons.  [/i]

Aww. Scaredy-cat =P

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1553 on: November 19, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
[Nosebleeds]
I guess that's a thing? It happens whenever I get too hot, no matter the season: toasty café and a cocoa, classroom heating up too high, jumper's too thick, lots of sneezing, showers etc :/

I'm vulnerable to nosebleeds too, but it's whenever the weather is *dry*.  (Which makes the lining of your nose more fragile.)  Here in California, that's summertime; when I used to live further inland, the summers routinely got to 100 degrees F (35-40 C) and about 10-20 % humidity.  When I went to college in New England, where summers are rainy and humid, I got nosebleeds all winter.

If you get them so easily, I'm a little concerned.  Have you been checked for either high blood pressure or low vitamin K levels?  A thin film of petroleum jelly (Vaseline or the like) inside your nose can help. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1554 on: November 19, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
For some reason, I think my body does not like the chem lab. Not one bit. Today I almost fainted while in there. Twice. The teacher and all my classmates were pretty worried, said that I was very pale. Grrr, I missed half the lesson.

Well, it is a chem school lab. Maybe there are weird chemicals floating around because of complacent kids-- *waves hands vaguely*

I hope you were able to catch up on the lesson, though :(. I have a chemistry exam to take later in this week, and studying for it is not very fun.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1555 on: November 19, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »
I have a chemistry exam to take later in this week, and studying for it is not very fun.

I failed chemistry in school. I never grabbed what we were doing at any time. I attended chemestrie lessons at university and I caught up on some knowledge. But it took me two times to barely survive one of the first exams so I never tried the following ones ;). Wish yer good luck!
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1556 on: November 19, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
I hope you were able to catch up on the lesson, though :(. I have a chemistry exam to take later in this week, and studying for it is not very fun.

The only chem I know is seawater chemistry.
like CO2+H2O>H2CO3>H+/HCO3-

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1557 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »
I think I would've liked chemistry if we had a proper science class in high school...we spent a whole year learning about "cosmetic chemistry" and it was soooooo horrible because I didn't even know what the products they were referring to actually were ;___; and we made hand cream that wasn't even hand cream.
There was a cool science teacher who made a science club and we did some normal chemistry and it was AWESOME! My friend nearly melted her face on a Bunsen burner because she didn't close the little thingy ;u; good times.....

Anyone have any fun science tales? XD

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1558 on: November 19, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »
I think I would've liked chemistry if we had a proper science class in high school...we spent a whole year learning about "cosmetic chemistry" and it was soooooo horrible because I didn't even know what the products they were referring to actually were ;___; and we made hand cream that wasn't even hand cream.
There was a cool science teacher who made a science club and we did some normal chemistry and it was AWESOME! My friend nearly melted her face on a Bunsen burner because she didn't close the little thingy ;u; good times.....
I was completely clueless that there were different types of creams or whatever for a very long time. I just lump everything under "lotion," and anything that's not that (there's specifically a thing for removing make-up? :o) is kind of beyond me, even though apparently I should be using some skin-care products...

Ah...
I have a chemistry exam to take later in this week, and studying for it is not very fun.
Though doing things with actual lab equipment and strange chemicals and FLAMES is much more enjoyable than trying to memorize equations and molecule configurations and whatnot. We got to make very mini hydrogen (at least, I think) explosions once.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1559 on: November 19, 2014, 10:19:19 PM »

I once ripped a can in half with some lab equipment that was basically a coil of wire and an electrical storage unit.  Put those together and you get a mega-magnet for a fraction of a second.  It had to charge up for like 15 minutes, but it was so cooooool.  It made a loud humming noise and threw the two ends of the can in opposite directions, across the room. 

Way back in the day, my 7th/8th grade science teacher (same guy both years; small school) brought in a snake he shot that was trying to eat his chickens.  He nailed its corpse to a plank of wood and brought it to class to cut open in front of everyone.  The heart was still beating and it was really cool. 

I was completely clueless that there were different types of creams or whatever for a very long time. I just lump everything under "lotion," and anything that's not that (there's specifically a thing for removing make-up? :o) is kind of beyond me, even though apparently I should be using some skin-care products...

Ah...Though doing things with actual lab equipment and strange chemicals and FLAMES is much more enjoyable than trying to memorize equations and molecule configurations and whatnot. We got to make very mini hydrogen (at least, I think) explosions once.
Chemistry was never too interesting to me  :-\  I doubled up chemistry and physics in high school, and just breezed right through chem, because it was kind of boring... physics was the one I cared about.  It was nice when we got to burn and mix stuff though.  Were they hydrogen explosions that made a loud pop in a tube?  I think that was something we did too.
Feel free to PM.