Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2425199 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9180 on: August 09, 2015, 05:37:55 PM »
I think Fimby is actually an artificial intelligence programmed to post wity and humerous comments on the forum to fool us all and distract us from the oncoming robot invasion. Why else the huge obsession with weaponizing everything and mysterious profile? It's got to be the only plausable explaination.

TARGET ACQUIRED

hahahaha yes there definitely seems to be an unbalance in the distribution of vowels and consonants to european languages here. To be fair, in my awful trondheim dialect, I can say a sentence in single vowels, namely 'æ e i a æ å" which means "I'm in (class) A too"

it finally feels like I'm on vacation (...which I am....) and everything is kind of amazing!! We're at the Ještěd tower now - pronounced yeshti-ed btw - and I'm gonna spam the pictures thread in a few minutes.
- it's not actually super expensive as I thought! but there are only 18 rooms and they're almost always fully booked.
- originally, this designer contest for this building was supposed to be two buildings, a tv-tower and a hotel. the architect that won combined those two, which means he broke the rules of the contest and won anyway.
- within the price for a room, you ALSO get to borrow scooters and scoot down the whole hill, and then take the cable car back up! IT WAS AWESOME

earlier today we visited a castle (Frýdlant/friedland today, yesterday was Grabštejn), and you know you're a forum addict when

Oh yes, I like your idea! The house words would be "Who The Seven Hells Do You Think We Are?"

Curry's one reminds me of a neighbouring municipality's coat of arms.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9181 on: August 09, 2015, 05:54:45 PM »
I had forgotten how good it feels to be productive... Today I managed to hang some pictures in my wardrobe wall (which I've been planning to do for ages) and clean my bedroom, and now I'm so happy and I feel like this day was a good day.

Yeah, there's nothing like cleaning my bedroom that makes me feel so productive, especially when I'm not in the mood to draw. Reminds me, I need to finish cleaning my own bedroom tonight...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #9182 on: August 09, 2015, 05:55:02 PM »

you see a coat of arms with a raven on it and think "laufey would totally have a puffin" and then "fimby would just have. a bunch of knives. CURRY HAS A HORSE and sunflower has a, well, sunflower and a quill!!! and i'd like to have a unicorn but would probably just end up with blorptroll"

Here are some words for your House, Haiz.  (A greeting card I saw at the grocery store, which made me think of you.)

BTW, at the risk of being pedantic (oh, whom am I kidding?  ;)) the scientific name for "Sunflower" is "Helianthus."  "Hyacinthus" had a rather different back story.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9183 on: August 09, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9184 on: August 09, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »
Here are some words for your House, Haiz.  (A greeting card I saw at the grocery store, which made me think of you.)

BTW, at the risk of being pedantic (oh, whom am I kidding?  ;)) the scientific name for "Sunflower" is "Helianthus."  "Hyacinthus" had a rather different back story.
yesss those are. quite accurate house words right there

and oh woops GOT THOSE A LITTLE MIXED UP YES
i'd go and edit my post but um. photo
you'll know where to find me.

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #9185 on: August 09, 2015, 06:19:25 PM »
>snip<
 and i'd like to have a unicorn but would probably just end up with blorptroll >snip<

Why not a blorptroll riding a unicorn?  I think blorptroll has been moonlighting at http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #9186 on: August 09, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
I wasn't thinking about villains, only a "Oh, look, someone let a lot of vowels here ! Let's take them !" ^^
I can give you the only word I know without any vowel : crwth. (Welsh playing music, somewhere ?)
Cwrw is also Welsh, it's the word for beer.
Both of your choices of random Welsh words to know somehow surprise me not at all :P (although "crwth" is so hardly used I had to google it to be sure of the meaning - extra points for obscurity go to Mélusine ^_^)

(Also, same thing as Rollo said, we've actually got way more vowels than English as we consider both y and w to be vowels as well. Can't say much about Czech seeing as I know next to nothing about it, but it looks like it would be great fun to try out :P My imagination is currently setting it up as something like Dwarvish actually :P)
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Mélusine

« Reply #9187 on: August 09, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
Both of your choices of random Welsh words to know somehow surprise me not at all :P (although "crwth" is so hardly used I had to google it to be sure of the meaning - extra points for obscurity go to Mélusine ^_^)
^^ (What will I do with the extra points, mmmh... ?)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #9188 on: August 09, 2015, 07:37:38 PM »
Can't say much about Czech seeing as I know next to nothing about it, but it looks like it would be great fun to try out :P My imagination is currently setting it up as something like Dwarvish actually :P
I don't really know what to say about this, but you may be interested in knowing that the czech word for dwarf is trpaslík. not sure how dwarvish that sounds to non-slavic people.

also interesting to note that it's almost impossible for czechs to discern between I and Y, they call I 'soft I', and Y 'hard I' because the only function they have as separate letters is how they affect the letter before them. otherwise this godforsaken language probably wouldn't even need two I's and would have less vowels in their alphabet than everyone else
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:06:39 PM by Haiz »

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9189 on: August 09, 2015, 07:39:49 PM »
Tonight I get to be a hockey dad. Basically that consists of driving a hockey player (my sister) and all her smelly gear to the rink. Then hanging out in the locker room helping everyone get pumped for practice/game then sitting on the side of the ice telling the other dads why your kid (in my case sibling) is better than all the others. Also screaming loudly whenever something happens on the ice. GO TEAM!! WOOOO! :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #9190 on: August 09, 2015, 07:45:56 PM »
Tonight I get to be a hockey dad. Basically that consists of driving a hockey player (my sister) and all her smelly gear to the rink. Then hanging out in the locker room helping everyone get pumped for practice/game then sitting on the side of the ice telling the other dads why your kid (in my case sibling) is better than all the others. Also screaming loudly whenever something happens on the ice. GO TEAM!! WOOOO! :D
ahahaha have fun!!

did I ever mention that the canadian hockey team stayed at the hotel I worked on during the world championship a while back? along with a lot of the other teams. it was a pretty big event and even though it happened before summer, all the key cards were championship-themed because of that. and a lot of the housekeepers got autographs

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9191 on: August 09, 2015, 07:56:14 PM »
ahahaha have fun!!

did I ever mention that the canadian hockey team stayed at the hotel I worked on during the world championship a while back? along with a lot of the other teams. it was a pretty big event and even though it happened before summer, all the key cards were championship-themed because of that. and a lot of the housekeepers got autographs

Noooooo I'm so jealous! That's awesome :D

* Feartheviolas has almost the whole team canada roster memorized

Hopefully my sister won't read this post because she'd probably explode. She's got dreams of marrying like half the guys on the team :P I think her tumblr is half Carey Price (the goalie) half homestuck.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #9192 on: August 09, 2015, 08:00:48 PM »
also interesting to note that it's almost impossible for czechs to discern between I and Y, they call I 'soft I', and Y 'hard I' because the only function they have as separate letters is how they affect the letter before them. otherwise this godforsaken language probably wouldn't even need two I's and would have less wovels in their alphabet than everyone else
otherwise this godforsaken language probably wouldn't even need two I's and would have less wovels in their alphabet than everyone else
wovels

I'm sorry. I know that this post was about stuff (and I actually find your explanation of soft I vs hard I fascinating), but I saw the typo and now all I can think about is how "wovel" should be a name for a cute fuzzy mythical creature. I'm sorry. Continue.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #9193 on: August 09, 2015, 08:07:30 PM »
I'm sorry. I know that this post was about stuff (and I actually find your explanation of soft I vs hard I fascinating), but I saw the typo and now all I can think about is how "wovel" should be a name for a cute fuzzy mythical creature. I'm sorry. Continue.
*squints* are you trying to say 'wovel' is wrong
BEWARE THE WOVELRINE

.......it's 2 am and the word vowel sounds like a fake word anyway
TIME FOR BED GNIGHT
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:12:01 PM by Haiz »

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9194 on: August 09, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »

Vowels are cute fuzzy mythical creatures   :D

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: