Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 75165 times)

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2018, 02:44:26 AM »
Hi, yeah, so, someone could've already mentioned this, but "Shoot Around" is a really good webcomic. It's a zombie apocalypse story focusing on a girl's basketball team and their coach. It's very gay and it's amazing. (is completed, btw, but has a really good ending. 10/10, do recommend)
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2018, 03:51:43 AM »
This reminds me I should finish reading it at some point. How I came across it is kind of funny: I somehow ran into a blog that had given SSSS a bad review back in 2015, but that same person had really liked "Shoot Around", so I got a little curious.

My own favorite obscure webcomic is "My new friend is a cat", which is on Webtoon as well. A boy named Ken has a new student in his grade school class, France, who insists on wearing a cat mask in public. Ken slowly befriends him, and a really cute kiddie "high temptation to ship them" level bromance ensues.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2018, 08:30:09 AM »
This reminds me I should finish reading it at some point. How I came across it is kind of funny: I somehow ran into a blog that had given SSSS a bad review back in 2015, but that same person had really liked "Shoot Around", so I got a little curious.

The irony. My problem with "Shoot Around" (relative problem, I still read it to the end) is that I basically couldn't tell the characters apart - sure they had diverse race and genders, but to me they didn't have any distinctive personality traits - the opposite of SSSS, basically.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »
I completely forgot about this thread! Looks like these comics haven't been mentioned yet:

1. Blade Under Mask - a wonderful story featuring anthropoid bugs and japanese culture (on hiatus)
2. Critical Miss - a comic about a game journalist and, well, games (probably completed)(*sobs a little*)
3. Coon is just magnificent
4. Webcomic Name - a comic where every situation ends with 'oh no'
5. Hearts for Sale from the author of Lost Nightmare is great, too (completed)
6. Ishaar's Children is actually a translation of a russian comic. Gorgeous and very interesting (especially if you're familiar with the lore and characters) but sometimes slightly nsfw
And I really wanted to recommend Zistopia, Zootopia AU. One of the best things I've ever read, I swear. Unfortunately it's not quite readable and the semi-official website seems to be broken but who cares, you can read it here I hope
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
The irony. My problem with "Shoot Around" (relative problem, I still read it to the end) is that I basically couldn't tell the characters apart - sure they had diverse race and genders, but to me they didn't have any distinctive personality traits - the opposite of SSSS, basically.

In my personal experience, I have found a trade-off between how many characters I work with and how satisfied I am with how I wrote them, so that effect may be in place to an extent. Otherwise, that blog seemed to be written by someone who was seeking webcomics with explicit racial diversity and/or LGBT representation. So "Shoot Around" probably had a good head start for those criteria compared to the point SSSS had reached in 2015. On my side, I inherently prefer slice of life heavy fantasy to zombie apocalypses so my personal criteria favor SSSS as well.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:56:51 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2018, 02:56:31 PM »

I read a few pages of Shoot Around just now to see what its deal is and if your first problem is "not enough distinctive personalities", your priorities are a bit weird :D (page 3 is where I encountered a problem)

ETA: I see what you mean about personalities, too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 03:02:48 PM by Sc0ut »

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2018, 09:14:57 PM »
I dunno, I liked the story and the art, as I said I did read it to completion. But half-way through the story I realised I had no idea who anyone was and couldn't even remember the names of the characters.

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #262 on: June 20, 2018, 12:24:17 AM »
based on the recommendations (kinda) in this thread i started reading shoot around. i'm at page 100, it's really cute so far! i like lykka's bug eyes. i think SSSS made me biased towards the finns in comics though, haha.

just want you folks to know that i hold you responsible for the last 4 hours i spent binge-reading ;)
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #263 on: August 16, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »
I need help. I've finally decided to read Romantically Apocalyptic and already agree with all the nice things said about it, but I have a problem
Turns out there are two completely canon versions I can read: English and Russian (I've read the first 5 pages in both languages). I thought that the author, who is from Russia, was just translating his comic, but NO! It's an entirely new take on the story! With different references and local jokes and additional content with re-written situations from the English version. Only without gifs and sounds and such
I'm so confused! Should I read it in my native language or get to know the "original" story first, what do you think?

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2018, 05:01:47 AM »
I need help. I've finally decided to read Romantically Apocalyptic and already agree with all the nice things said about it, but I have a problem
Turns out there are two completely canon versions I can read: English and Russian (I've read the first 5 pages in both languages). I thought that the author, who is from Russia, was just translating his comic, but NO! It's an entirely new take on the story! With different references and local jokes and additional content with re-written situations from the English version. Only without gifs and sounds and such
I'm so confused! Should I read it in my native language or get to know the "original" story first, what do you think?

What a delightful dilemma to have!  A canon AU?  Both!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »
What a delightful dilemma to have!  A canon AU?  Both!

Heheh, yeah, I'll read both. The perks of knowing Russian :))  I just can't decide on which to start with

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2018, 11:13:35 AM »
The Notoros Disqus is apparently quite hungry lately, sometimes to the point of half of my posts vanishing for good, so let me abuse this thread to (point people to Code Name: Hunter and its current Kickstarter and) congratulate Emil and Lalli on not having something fast on their heels ...

native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »

...hold the phone.. are you saying RA was localized by the artist?.... That's kick-ass!
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2018, 04:08:44 PM »
...hold the phone.. are you saying RA was localized by the artist?.... That's kick-ass!

Yeaaaah, I know  ;D  It's one of the most best things that can happen to a comic, I believe

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2018, 10:49:46 AM »
http://buschildrencomic.tumblr.com/

A webcomic I've very recently discovered but that made me quickly bingewatch through the entire archive.

It's magical realism/urban fantasy with a dash of postapocalyptic, set in a world that ressembles our own, but where magic and spirits are real and known to everyone, every human has a unique power, and strongly inspired by Finnish mythology,

Some years before the beginning of the story, a devastating flood ravaged the world, then a mysterious and dangerous forest full of spirits overcame most of the ruins, with human civilization surviving on a smaller scale in the places that the forest hasn't overcome.

The story is about a boy who runs away from home (deals a bit with themes of religious abuse so warning for that)

It's gorgeously drawn in water color, with an interesting narrative style, and in this universe boys sometimes wear dresses casually. Seems to update once every two weeks, but with several pages per update.