Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 85336 times)

John Candlebury

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • No John, you are the demons
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #240 on: May 14, 2016, 01:28:09 AM »
Is Homestuck worth checking out? I started it once and couldn't get past Act 1, but apparentky it gets much better. What do you think of the trolls?

The answer to that is contentious.
I for one could never stomach the chat-like dialogue, which is an unchanging part of the comic.

Bicycle boy
is a pretty awesome post apocalyptic story about a clueless cyborg who awakes in the middle of desertic wasteland in an important mission he cant remember, and gets in a lot of trouble while seeking for answers.  The art and story are gorgeous if you ask me, it updates every friday.

The author does give the following disclaimer however:
"This includes bloodshed, gore, murder and other flavours of violence, colourful language, sexual and other upsetting themes, and plenty of other things that will probably offend you. Enjoy."

Ceceoh

« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2016, 12:30:54 AM »
Don't get over here much, but I had to let everyone know that The Abominable Charles Christopher web comic has ended it's hiatus. http://abominable.cc/ For those not familiar with it, well... it's a little hard to explain. But it has animals, lots of animals. If you love SSSS, you will probably love Charles as well. 

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #242 on: May 19, 2016, 04:34:11 AM »
Is Homestuck worth checking out? I started it once and couldn't get past Act 1, but apparentky it gets much better. What do you think of the trolls?

Ok, this is a thing I have to say: Homestuck has basically been a MAJOR part of my life for the past seven years and has greatly affected me as a person. It's given me terms to explain things I couldn't in normal English, I've made some great friends, and a few enemies, and about the only thing that has interested my typically obsessive mind aside from Homestuck in that period and stuck has been SSSS. That said:

Act 1 is very slow, and for a long time doesn't seem to go anywhere. However there are a lot of call backs to things in the early acts. If you do read it, make sure to read the intermissions. Yes they seem like they are a separate mini story, but they are connected and do play a role in the story as well. I personally love the trolls as characters, as many of them are very effective in the roles they play but also come off as very real emotionally, once you understand their motivations. But quite a few of them, even the "nicer" ones are flawed and kind of awful as people. They are all multidimensional characters, and I'm sure you could find at least a couple of them you will love. Also, especially with the trolls, there will be a lot of blood (in various rainbow colors) so if you're sensitive to that, I'd just watch out.

Late in the story, there are some completely new characters introduced; they were foreshadowed earlier on but you won't catch it if you're not looking for it. There is also a part where certain things get "reset" and a lot of people felt they had less emotional connection to the characters after the reset than before it, but there is a good reason for it. That and the ending will be a lot more enjoyable if you remember that Homestuck is basically a narrative about story-telling itself.

I hope that helps you make your decision. I tried to cover things that might be concerns without giving away actual plot as much as possible.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #243 on: June 18, 2016, 01:44:45 AM »
Speaking of homestuck, do you ever get weirdly attached to a character and you have no idea why ? Like, at least with lalli, or Eowyn from Lord of the Rings, or Link from LoZ, or Tonks from Harry Potter, I had logical reasons for liking them and being really weirdly attached to them as characters, but at the peak of my homestuck hype I had an almost unhealthy obsession with Equius Zahhak. I think Equius Zahhak might be the most I've ever liked a fictional character. There's absolutely no reason for me to be as attached to him as I was (and still kind of am?) He's a weird creepy sweaty alien child. I have yet to figure out why I like him so much or even like him at all in the first place. But dang, I really like that weird creepy sweaty alien child a lot. Homestuck hype might be over for me, I barely followed the last update, but I still squeal if I see anything Equius Zahhak related pop up anywhere. I actually kind of only watched the ending to see if Equius would pop up anywhere and it was worth it to see the .5 seconds he was in it.

Idk, I was just thinking about this because my roommate and I have a chalk board in the kitchen we use to 'communicate' (it's pretty much just memes and drawings of cats) and he's kind of homestuck trash too and he's gone for the weekend so I was all "ohhh I'll leave some homestuck doodles on here for him" and naturally started drawing the Sagittarius symbol in blue and 'STRONG' in all capital letters and I was just like, "why ?!?" 

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

IKEA

« Reply #244 on: June 18, 2016, 10:12:52 PM »
Princeofdoom: Thanks for that response. What has really turned me off of HS historically is the sheer length of the thing, but I might give it another shot now. Third time's the charm, right?

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »
I doubt anyone has mentioned it here before since the comic was launched about two months ago, but there is a new fantasy webcomic called ”Lilith’s word”. I can’t tell so much about it, since as I said it almost just launched, but so far it’s been really good, so if you’re looking for a new comic to read I’ll recommend it.

Link: http://www.lilithword.com/
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
I doubt anyone has mentioned it here before since the comic was launched about two months ago, but there is a new fantasy webcomic called ”Lilith’s word”. I can’t tell so much about it, since as I said it almost just launched, but so far it’s been really good, so if you’re looking for a new comic to read I’ll recommend it.

Ooh yes this one is great, I will second that recommendation!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »

Ooh! I saw that comic a long time ago, posting on Tapastic, and they dropped off and stopped posting after a while around the end of the prologue. I guess they were working on a new site? Awesome! Yes, that is a very good comic!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2016, 06:13:01 PM »

Ooo, it looks really cool!
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
It may be time to resurrect this thread ?
After catching up, I think that no one yet mentioned [url =http://www.scurrycomic.com/]Scurry[/url]. Updates twice a week, about 100-150 pages thus far.
Them: a colony of mice does its best to survive in a world devoid of humans. The story is good, although the equivalent can probably be read somewhere else, but the art is stunning - really, there's a lot of wallpaper material here.
Good thing: the author keeps the Disneyification of speaking animals at a strict minimum. The rodents often stand on their rear paws and use their front paws as hands, their eyes are more 'frontal' than they really are, but that's all - they run on four legs, for instance.
Another very refreshing change from the rest of the Internet is that, here, cats are evil (and pretty scary) !  >:D
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #250 on: March 11, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »
Dunno if this one has been brought up, but Archipelago just completed. It's a great story, and while the art starts off cartoonish, it evolves quickly.

http://thearchipelago.smackjeeves.com
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #251 on: March 11, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
I confirm Scurry is pretty good.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
Read this https://gigidigi.itch.io/lady

Its a short comic by the creator of Cucumber Quest (READ THAT AS WELL) about an Acolyte falling in love with her godess.
Read through the whole thing yesterday, and I am glad to have done such.

Now on a separate note, who here has heard of a webcomic by the name of Dregs? It's a comedic story following two people who work in the sewer systems of a massive city, and some new form of trouble introduced to their lives. It started a little over a year ago and is currently 78 pages long and counting.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

That Bunny

• Just a bunny which thinks that it is a person.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/or just call me Bunny ;3
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2018, 08:15:51 PM »
Waaah here is a thread just about webcomics? I know many! Ok... I will make a list of the Webcomics I like, it's quite possible that lots of them have already been mentioned here.

Webtoons:

Spoiler: show
Completed:
Smile Brush - a heartwarming/slice of life comic about a boy named Waroo (the author)
Salty Sutdio - a slice of life story about an ongoing ilustrator without talent (by Omyo)
Subtle Disaster - a drama comic about an author who has (too much) problems with his neighbours (by Sungho An) Alert: if you are easely stressed, don't read this comic.
Dr. Frost - a comic just about psychology (by Jungbeom Lee)

Ongoing:
Space Boy - Sci-Fi comic about love and emptiness - it doesn't leak of poetry! (by Stephen McCranie)
Yumis Cells - a slice of life/romance comic with the view of Cells (little people in Yumis head who make decisions about her) by Donggeon Lee
Hello World - a poetry comic about the world (by Alex Norris)
Bluechair - just some comical comic - but it is poethic sometimes (by Shen)
My Giant Nerd Boyfriend - a slice of life/funny comic about a couple (by Fishball)
Saphie: The One-Eyed Cat - comic about three cats (by Joho)
The Strange Tales of Oscar Zahn - Fantasy comic about a paranormal investigator - great art! (by Tri Vuong)

Tapastic:

Finished:
Keep an Eye - poetry comic about people - just sooo beautiful! (by Functional Neighbour)
Postcards in Braille - slice of life comic about a blind guy and about how he and his friends see the world (by Kurisquare)
Daydreams and Nightmares - poethic comic about emotions and daydreams (by CatsAddiction)
100 - A story told in 100 words in russian/english (by Yufei)

Ongoing:
Humor me - a slice of live comic? about a scholarship student with many problems in her life (by Marvin)
Fail by error - "about how life constantly throws lemons at you" quote Min, the author
Deep Dark Fears - actually very funny comic about our fears (by Fran Krause)
Mandarin Oranges - fantasy/sci-fi comic about the world out of the view of two "monster" kids (by Mecchi)
Seed - sci-fi comic about an girl and an AI system (by Said)
Fight me! - fantasy comic about an girl who got kicked out of her magic school because of fighting people (by Frostlight comics)
Detached - fantasy/ slice of life/ sci-fi? comic about an girl lost in a world invaded by Oddlings (by Angela Oddling)
On the Hunt - a mistery comic about friendship and... well, mistery (by Myst-A)
Flowerpot - on undefined hiatus! Slice of life comic about a world where a mysterious disease appears, where people start growing flowers (by leehama)
The Sunken Garden - futurist comic about people researching about an mysterious forest where everyone disappears (by Irma)

Other (like Hivework and so on):

The Sanity Circus - fantasy comic about phobias and Scarecorws (which represent the phobias) (by Windy)
Colorless - fantasy comic about adolescents who awake on a world they didn't know (by Niko) attention: mature content!
Prague Race - fantasy comic about a girl who has only one year left to live after "encountering" a magical parasite (by Petra Nordlund) very good art!
Never Satisfied - fantasy comic about apprentice magicians (by Tailor Robin)
Oddity Woods - mistery comic about a girl detective (by Kay D.)
Blindsprings - fantasy comic about a girl who tries to find a way of restouring magic in her world (by Kadi Fedoruk)

Ugh that was quite a list! I hope you like them!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:59:32 AM by That Bunny »
Fluent: :brazil: :germany: :uk:
Understand something: :france: :spain:
Want to learn: :japan: :finland: :russia:

:chap19:

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #254 on: June 16, 2018, 06:08:19 PM »
cool, a webcomics thread :>

first of all can i just say how sad i still am that kiwisbybeat disappeared off the face of the earth. modern fried snake was just starting to feel like it was building towards something big... i was really looking forward to it :( minus is a masterpiece, though, and rezo's other comics were great, so i can't be too sad. BTW there's a mostly-complete mirror here for anybody who didn't know: http://kiwisbybeat.16mb.com/

other than SSSS there are a handful of comics i actively follow:
- cucumber quest has gotten a lot of love here, glad to see that. gigi's art style is awesome.
- oddity woods is cute so far, i feel like it's going to get really sad as the comic goes on
- vattu (http://www.rice-boy.com/) is great so far, the author is really good at worldbuilding. he has nice illustrations of wizard of oz and moby dick that i picked up. the original rice boy comic is classic.
- virus comix has probably the best dialog of any webcomic i've read, all the characters feel super relatable. there are some really interesting more scifi-ish comics too.
- everything by oyvind thorsby is mad genius. really weird (and i mean REALLY WEIRD) adventure comics, with simple art and lots of hilarious farce. the current one is trixie slaughteraxe for president) which i'm really enjoying so far. the first comic, hitmen for destiny (completed) is really good. the other ones are well worth a read too. fair warning, the comics are kinda violent... and really weird
- recently got into "he is a good boy" which is written by the guy who did gunshow (which you would probably recognize because it's where the "this is fine" dog comes from). it's pretty weird and has lots of cartoonish gore. if you can stomach that, http://hiagb.com/

the first webcomic that got me "into webcomics" as an art form was probably a lesson is learned. the way the artist plays with panel structure is really interesting.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:14:59 PM by yung_chrysanthemum »
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan: