Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 85029 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »
Yay! The more the merrier :D

And you consider me your friend? *is flattered*
I hope that's not too presumptuous? D:
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2015, 04:38:12 PM »
I hope that's not too presumptuous? D:

Nonono that's not what I meant at all. That's like the opposite of what I meant. I love friends!!! C:

Chandrajak

• Super-Newbie
  • Through the looking glass
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2015, 03:48:32 AM »
I'm still new to the world of online comics; aside from SSSS, which is currently my favourite, I love Trying Human by Emy Bitner. Alien Sci - fi with a touch of humor, romance and mistery. I've tried Lackadaisy, but I dropped it for some reason I can't remember o.o

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2015, 04:28:59 AM »
I'm still new to the world of online comics; aside from SSSS, which is currently my favourite, I love Trying Human by Emy Bitner. Alien Sci - fi with a touch of humor, romance and mistery. I've tried Lackadaisy, but I dropped it for some reason I can't remember o.o

Yeees, Trying Human is amazing! Don and Longus are the cutest~ Oooh, I'm actually reading Lackadaisy right now! The art is so gorgeous

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2015, 06:02:11 AM »
Der-Shing Helmer's back! For anyone who was a fan of her fabulous webcomic The Meek, you'll be happy to know that she has just started a brand new comic; Mare Internum. http://www.marecomic.com/. It's a "science fiction graphic novel about the isolated inhabitants of the planet Mars. It updates several times a week." She has also stated that she will be continuing The Meek this year. I am such a happy person right now.

*Happy flail*
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2015, 09:36:38 AM »
I prefer "The End" over "Trying Human", personally, for a comic with relatively similar themes.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »
I prefer "The End" over "Trying Human", personally, for a comic with relatively similar themes.

I've never heard of that one before, but I googled it, and it looks pretty cool! It has now been added to my "to read" list :3

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
Thanks everyone who recommended Ava's demon... I've read through all of it today (partly at work, oops) and am still amazed by the colours and the interesting world everything takes place in. And the animations are a great thing, too. :)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
Thanks everyone who recommended Ava's demon... I've read through all of it today (partly at work, oops) and am still amazed by the colours and the interesting world everything takes place in. And the animations are a great thing, too. :)

Isn't it amazing? :D Before I discovered SSSS I always turned to Ava's Demon for inspiration, the art is just absolutely lovely ~ And the characters are all really interesting and unique, which is not something you see very often

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2015, 07:13:04 PM »
Not sure if anyone has seen this webcomic, but I found one called "Wind and Wasteland" recently. It doesn't have too many pages, but the art and story are very interesting. It's by Alex Chow.

http://www.windandwasteland.com/
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2015, 07:13:49 PM »
I found it some time ago, and I share your opinion - to some extent:
-the art is unique,
-the story of a super-soldier in a post-apoc world, with fuzzy borders between the good and the bad... is not exactly new,
-BUT this story is well told, leaving the reader just a lost as the main character.
All in all, it's a good comic.

The good side of TWC resetting the counters every month is that some comics make their way to the first pages before drowning later. I thus discovered two things I now follow:
- Gifts of wandering ice is yet another post-apoc, but with a fine, almost tender, graphic style and an interesting (IMO) effort at world-building, by a Russian artist.
- Monsieur Charlatan, by a Greek artist, takes place in an imaginary Paris of the '20s or '30s. I'm not sure whether the artist knows Paris, but she surely loves it! The good guys are very good, the bad guys are very bad... the whole thing has the taste of a classic movie, I find it very pleasant.
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
ljhlslshgsklghsh you're the first person I met on here who reads TOY and ARH

Psst, I read both as well, try Transfusions. Updates every sunday and has (like Toy and ARH) an actual good story, lovable characters and realistic relationship building.

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »
I have stumbled into webcomic Walhalla. Still dizzy from all the lists here. Let me add some comics that I think I haven't seen listed allready. It is a little diverse, you might find something you like.

- Blindsprings (probably known to most), good world building, smooth artstyle, I'd call it fairytale like.
http://blindsprings.com/comic/000
- Find Chaos If I had to categorize it, it merges sci-fi with the supernatural genre (vamps etc.) The story takes inspiration from both the Bible and literature. (Respecting both) Updates are a little slow and there are gay/lesbian relationships though they are not the main focus.
http://www.findchaos.com/sotfcover
- White Noise, a scifi like webcomic, nice worldbuilding (earth after alien invasion with a twist.) The author is on a small hiatus now because she broke her arm.
http://www.wncomic.com/archive_comments.php?strip_id=2
Supernormalstep Mentioned before but it deserves to be mentioned again. The story is superb, the art is superb, magic/robots/paralell worlds have to be your thing.
supernormalstep.com
- Dumbing of Age If you are in college or enjoy reading about it, this webcomic is a must, updates every day, awesome right?
http://www.dumbingofage.com/
- Tove Started reading recently, new comic, pretty fun, adventure time like vibes.
http://www.tovecomic.com/index.php?id=1
- Sin Titulo The fact that this is a webcomic and not a published book is madness (and lucky), the style is that of a professional artist (like Minna) with its own flavor, the images tell a story in itself. I cannot summarize the work without discredeting it, I can only say, the story send chills down my spine and it has a surreal/hurts my brain appeal to it. Also, finished.
http://www.sintitulocomic.com/2007/06/17/page-01/
- Bicycle Boy It is about an android who rides a bike in the desert of an apocalyptic world. I love it, just because it is pretty unique. Pretty art.
 http://bicycleboy.webcomic.ws/comics/first
- Damsels don't wear glasses The comic is pretty new, and the artstyle is still 'developing'. The premises is still a mysterie, but I was hooked after the maincharacter (red hair, wears glasses) saved a GOAT from a sacrificial ritual by teenage boys in black robes.
http://damsels-dont-wear-glasses.com/?comic_id=1

Now I will be reading all the new suggestions from you lovely people here.  :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:00:06 PM by wolfie »

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2015, 04:07:38 PM »
Psst, I read both as well, try Transfusions. Updates every sunday and has (like Toy and ARH) an actual good story, lovable characters and realistic relationship building.

Ohh, I think I saw this artist's tumblr! She drew some SSSS fanart :)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
I have stumbled into webcomic Walhalla. Still dizzy from all the lists here. Let me add some comics that I think I haven't seen listed allready. It is a little diverse, you might find something you like.

- Sin Titulo The fact that this is a webcomic and not a published book is madness (and lucky), the style is that of a professional artist (like Minna) with its own flavor, the images tell a story in itself. I cannot summarize the work without discrediting it, I can only say, the story send chills down my spine and it has a surreal/hurts my brain appeal to it. Also, finished.
http://www.sintitulocomic.com/2007/06/17/page-01/

Now I will be reading all the new suggestions from you lovely people here.  :D

Wow!  I clicked on "Sin Titulo" 45 minutes ago... and just came up for air.  *Seriously* creepy -- and addictive!  Thanks for sharing (assume I don't start having strangely realistic nightmares about long walks on the beach...).
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: