Author Topic: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!  (Read 11012 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2020, 09:12:36 AM »
But I’m puzzled, are you saying you don’t think Saimaa settlements is an info page? It’s the same format and page 2 even has the “bubbles”.
It's neither on Minnas list (because she hasn't updated since at least as far back as the Saimaa Channel one) nor in the "Other Fact Sheets" section of the Wiki that Keep Looking linked to in the threadstarter post (because the Wiki's page has a separate "Maps" section).
Spoiler: show

Don't worry, you're still good-ish there. One of my still-unsolved ones is only on one of the lists, too. 8)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2020, 09:39:05 AM »
I think I’m fully on the good because the page is clearly an info page and will be added on Minna’s list when she updates.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »

One of my still-unsolved ones is only on one of the lists, too. 8)

Spoiler: ooooops • show

... aaaaactually I misremembered, all three are single-listed, though in three different, um, "constellations" ... :?

PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2020, 11:08:24 AM »
For JoB's "stolen" artwork: Distances of risk, 437.
(I just noticed that I never replied to that - yes, correct. Though I strongly suspect that "two sheep" is not a permissible unit of measurement post-Rash.)

Spoiler: ooooops • show

... aaaaactually I misremembered, all three are single-listed, though in three different, um, "constellations" ... :?

... all four still unsolved ... O_o
(Is it time for me to start asking Torbjörn for a suggestion for a retirement home that I won't forget having moved into?)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:27:57 AM by JoB »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2020, 11:31:06 AM »
Here’s another photo compilation for you! Maybe this is easier?

Hopefully y’all are saving something great for tomorrow for the 6 year anniversary, as this has fizzled down a bit prematurely. I was planning one more little story, but I’ve been having a terrible headache since Saturday so it’s not likely to happen.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2020, 12:08:33 PM »
Eeeee, everything in this thread is so awesome! Most best!

It´s way too much to mention all of it by now, but I loved following along, even if I couldn´t contribute so far. But now I´m back home! I missed all of you! And that swimming Saimaa-idea is awesome! Too bad I can´t draw landscapes and architecture to save my life... But I´d be happy to help in some way if I can!

Spoiler: a bit unrelated • show
In fact I currently write a (not related to SSSS) story about the building of a floating city, so I also very much apprechiate all the links and sources especially Jitter put on the thread.

Let´s see, can I guess some of the things on here:

Spoiler:  #7 by JoB • show

Ok, this is the only one I have a slight idea for...

I´d say beasts, trolls and giants, and maybe also condition of the soul, as we know that trollified people or animals settle where they were once born, despite not remembering what exactly they are doing here and how they can leave.

Then, I know the chapter break is now technically over, but since this event is still ongoing and I have finally finished that thing I´ve been working on, I think I´m still going to post it. It´s probably very easy to guess, but anyway, here it is: (On Ao3 since it´s a little too long for forum terms.)
Blood Moon

Oh, and now Jitter posted some more beautiful photos while I was typing:
A lot of untouched nature-pictures, so the letho-pages?
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2020, 01:53:20 PM »
Mirasol, correct! I wanted to put in some elements of lush nature and things that could be considered places of power by ancient Finns. Rapids for example were considered very powerful and it was important not to make the spirit of the rapids angry. On the other hand it could be possible to strengthen oneself (probably one’s luonto) by adding some power from the rapids (or other places of power).

The rapids in the middle (winter) is Kiutaköngäs in Kuusamo and the other winter picture with the tall trees is from Koli. These places I believe have been considered places of power in actuality. The rest are just nice nature pictures. The narrow esker between two lakes is from Petkeljärvi National Park. Such special place could also well be a place of power, but I’m not aware of any such in relation with Petkeljärvi.

JoB

« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2020, 02:14:22 PM »
Spoiler:  #7 by JoB • show

Ok, this is the only one I have a slight idea for...

I´d say beasts, trolls and giants, and maybe also condition of the soul, as we know that trollified people or animals settle where they were once born, despite not remembering what exactly they are doing here and how they can leave.

Sorry, I referred to BT&G with #3 already and it's not a Condition of an Infected Soul, either. ;)

I wanted to put in some elements of lush nature and things that could be considered places of power by ancient Finns.
I guess I was able to at least sense that, then, but I was nonetheless going to guess "Kallohonka" ... :'(

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2020, 03:44:57 PM »
I've been pushing a project to completion, so haven't had time to digest everything, but these are all great. Mirasol, that's a wonderfully spooky story, as I figured out which particular element of the info page you were referencing, I got a sinking feeling of dread. Well done! The rest have either been guessed or I have no clue (JoB...) so I'll just say again, well done everyone, I look forward to the anniversary contributions tomorrow.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2020, 04:18:45 PM »
Mirasol, I read the story now! Horribly great and greatly horrible!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2020, 05:55:42 AM »
Happy Anniversary!  Some images from the past year's great expressions.

Yes, there were supposed to be six.  I just didn't finish on time, apologies for that.  I will post the last one when I can.

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2020, 08:13:52 AM »
I still presume that nobody wants more riddles on the last scheduled day, so my plan for today is to post the remaining solutions ...

#1 A child sitting on the floor of its nursery, waving one teddy bear in each hand over a bunch of smaller, more humanoid, but otherwise unrecognizable action figures. A much more realistic, but slightly transparent and smiling, bear cub is about to hand it yet another teddy. A blackboard on the wall reads "NO INSI DANCE SINCE 12345 DAYS!!" in a child's scribble.

Wave pinpointed that the transparent one is a luonto, and I basically said but out loud that the child can see and interact with it, and hence qualifies as a mage per Finnish standards. So, what ambitions does a young qualified noita have for the future? This li'l tyke plans to grow up to become the "Eyes of Bears" sentinel mage, for one.

As you know, the sentinels are not only single-handedly bearing the responsibility to prevent all incidents at their respective end of the settled region, they also stay at their posts not for a couple years, but decades. Väinö was/is looking forward to serve for thirty years, no less. 12345 days is a little less than thirty-four ...

(I suppose, though, that at some time, someone'll have to tell him that bears are a) not as numerous as desirable, and b) mammals to boot ...)

#5 Another man at work, both arms deep into a trough overflowing with lather and scrubbing away for sheer live as best as his arm-length leather gloves allow him to. A breathing mask is securely fastened to his face, in spite of him being immune.

"So, y'all'd like ta know why I'm wearing heavy leather gloves while scrubbin' away, dont'cha? Well, you try ta make a livin' with lotsa sku... er, customers bein' a li'l less willin' an' complacent than the one they put in th' ads!"

#6 Two sailors walk past each other on deck. One is dragging a wooden crate behind him, marked with "DANGER" and obviously very heavy, with all signs of being royally unsatisfied with his assignment. The other holds a huge cardboard box on his shoulder with but one hand as he walks by; "Sorry, dude," he says to his fellow seaman, "I am trying to help you here, but it just ain't working out!"

I figure that the V/S Þór would need three kinds of supplies in really large amounts: fuel, which would get pumped straight into the bunkers at port; ammo for the main gun; and spare lightbulbs for the blinkenlights they all hope will one day result in them meeting another vessel and not opening fire on it.

#7 Door to door
All shut in front of my face
Nothing else to do
But to get to the next one
And yet I like it here
'Cause I'm near home

When you're a Finnish crewman on a ship that travels between Finland and the other nations of the Known World, the Saimaa Channel qualifies as "near home", doesn't it? ;)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2020, 11:47:50 AM »
Hahaa JoB I love #4! And the doors in #7 is very cleverly put!

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
Oh, I’ve been so busy that couldn’t draw anything for today, my apologies... (And I haven’t posted anything here for a long time...) But everything here looks so great, people, this is amazing!

Jumping in to ask about Jitter’s photos... third one in the third row - where did you take that one? It reminded me of the Punkaharju hills (hope I spelled it correctly), just wondering...  :)
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2020, 12:52:13 PM »
So many amazing things!
Jitter, I love those photos! Your country is truly beautiful!
Wave, great drawings! Those expressions are very well chosen, particularly Emil's mad moment...
Mirasol, your story is great! Very well done! I hope we can read more from you soon.
JoB, you really got me, again and again, with your riddles! I didn't solve them, but I really enjoyed trying!

And I prepared a little story to close my contribution for this thread and commemorate the Forum's birthday.
So, here it goes (it's on AO3): https://archiveofourown.org/works/26235748
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did creating it.
Butter Good!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society